Travel Help: DC to Winston-Salem

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Adcadet, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey all -
    I'm lucky enough to have interviews at GWU and Wake Forest. My GW interview is on October 31 (I have my tickets - I fly into DC on the 30th, and will leave on Nov 3rd). The earliest interview at Wake is on November 1, and the next interview date I can make is December 6th. I'd much prefer to interview a month earlier. My question: how can I get from DC to Winston-Salem? The cloesest airport to Wake is GSO, but to get from DC to GSO I'll almost definitely need a layover. Most of the layovers are either really long (14 hours), or short but expensive (~$700). Does anybody know a better way to cover this 337.2 miles? Is there another airport near Wake that I can fly into? Any help in getting this Yankee through Dixieland (OK, I realize it's not Alabama, but it sure seems south of the Mason-Dixon to me) would be much appreciated.

Adcadet

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. am33877

am33877 Junior Member

Adcadet-
    I'm from W-S and the only way I can think of to get here without a car is by Amtrak. DC (Amtrak station code WAS) has a direct train to Greensboro (Amtrak station code GRO). I looked up the fare and apparently the round trip fare is only 95 dollars. Of course once you get to Greensboro you have to get to W-S in which case you can take a taxi (probably pretty expensive since they are about 20 miles apart) or a bus. If you need any other info let me know. Hope that helps and good luck in your travels and on your interviews!

-AM

4. wfu2005

wfu2005 Member

well, i reckon you could hitch a ride on a pickup or any livestock transporter coming down this-a-ways.

you can look into flying into charlotte, which is just over an hour away, or look into flying out of a different DC airport such as baltimore but your best bet will probalby be just to rent a car. You can usually get them for less than 50 bucks a day (usually much less) with unlimited miles. It's about 5 hours to get down here from DC so it's not awful. Plus you'll be done with your interview day here at 2:30-3 so you wouldn't have to spend money on a hotel while here unless you wanted to stay an extra night. you could play bingo or tip cows if you want.

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Charlotte's actually more than an hour, more like an hour and a half (85 miles-ish). You might be able to snag a cheap flight from DC to Charlotte, but you'd still have to rent a car to get to W-S. Did you check USAir flights to Greensboro though (they probably have direct flights from DC and flights through Charlotte--the latter could be cheaper)? That came up $700? (how many days ahead are you booking)?

Don't know about tipping cows, but it'd be around 5 hours driving, as wfu2005 said, maybe a bit less if you're near the VA side and you're a leadfoot like me. :)

6. Adcadet

Resident [Any Field]
    OK....so I called Wake this morning, found out that the two earliest interview spot available is this Friday and November 1 (when I'm in DC). I mentioned that I'd get back to them about whether I could make the Nov 1 spot, found out how to do it (~$200 for tickets from National in DC to Greensborough), then called them back...at which time that spot was booked. Ug! So now I'm scheduled to interview at Wake on Friday (yes, Friday), and I've got my tickets set up. I just interviewed at the U of MN this past Friday, and will be leaving for DC less then 48 hours after my Wake trip! But, I'm not complaining! This is great.

OK, Question #2: Does anybody have suggestions about where to stay near Wake Forest - what's closest to campus? Is the computer lab somewhat open so I can check my email (do they require a Wake ID/password to get on their computers)? Is there anything other than cow tipping in W-S (I'm from MN so I've got the cow tipping down)? I'll be in W-S from Wednesday evening to Monday morning.

Question 3: any interview advice for Wake? Since I just booked the interview today by phone, I didn't get their informational packet. The secretary did email me the schedule and list of hotels in the area, but that's it.

Thanks all you NC peeps. If you're ever in MN, look me up!
    Adcadet

7. Adcadet

Resident [Any Field]
    since I'm interviewing so soon, I probably won't get the letter and info that's sent out to interviewees. Is there anything mailed out other than a cover letter, list of hotels, and schedule for the day? Is there a guidebook? Anything else?

Thanks,
    Adcadet

8. Opie

Opie Member

Around the med school, the Comfort Inn is within walking distance, and the Hawthorne Inn has a free shuttle to the med school. I don't know about email, maybe ask the hotels.

There is stuff to do in Winston, but you have to search pretty hard for it. There's a free shuttle to the undergrad campus from the med school, and there is usually something, play, music, etc. going on. Florida State is playing at Wake on Nov. 2 if you're a football fan. 4th street downtown was just renovated, and ziggy's is a pretty popular music place.

I'm a student at Wake, but I'll be gone Wed. to Sat. for interviews myself, so I won't be able to help you see the 'metropolis'.

The interviews at Wake are pretty easy, threee 15 minute interviews, one on one, and they have only seen your essay. Good luck.

9. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred

Try Charlotte or Raleigh Durham Airports; from Charlotte, rent a car and drive to Wake Froest

Good luck!

10. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Ziggy's rocks! I hope they still get great music acts and haven't gone the way of Toad's Place...

11. wfu2005

wfu2005 Member

I'd go with the Hawthorne Inn - that's where they put up those interviewing for residencies frequently and family can stay there as well. I think there is a special rate (mention you are there for a med school interview) You can also ask to see if a med student can put you up (I alas, cannot) but at such late notice probably not. If you can't get in the Hawthorne, try the Comfort Inn on Miller and the Holiday Inn on Hawthorne.

I would recommend renting a car if even for the day. W-S is not exactly a big taxi place so you'll be better off just paying for the rental. Greensboro is about 20 miles from the hospital so a cab both ways would probably come close to a rental. don't worry if you aren't 25, they'll still rent you one, just charge you more. I would talk to the tour guide and see what's going on that night. I'm trying to think....I think the first years have a test coming up pretty soon so they might not be much fun. They might be going down to 1st Street Draught House for "stinkin' and drinkin'" (which is grabbing some beers right after gross on fridays). The second years don't have anything organized going on but there is a relatively big football game at noon on Saturday (Wake-UNC) that the med students will be having a tailgate or something similar. Don't worry about tickets too much, you can scalp one outside for dirt cheap.

As for packets of info, they basically just send you a map as far as I can recall and a schedule. You can find it on the website somewhere (www.wfubmc.edu) Just ask at an information desk how to get to the office of admissions, and if they don't know then ask how to get to third floor Watlington Hall. You should be fine then. They'll give you a packet of info once you get there.

Interviews are pretty laid back, 3 one-on-one interviews with various faculty. They are 15-20 minutes, and usually they will literally have an egg timer go off outside to let you know to wrap it up. When I interviewed one had complete access to your file, one had only read your personal statement, and one was completely blind.

You'll start off with discussion about financial aid and they'll go over the curriculum with you, then lunch with a couple of med students and then either your tour or your interviews. should be 6 of you guys there split into groups of 3 for the tour/interviews.

Oh yeah, emails. You can use the computer terminals in the library, or if you want you can go to the E floor of the Hanes building where the classrooms and small group rooms are and ask the computer people for help. They are very helpful and friendly.

Congrats on the interview...you've made it past the hardest step. Just relax and talk candidly and you'll be fine.

12. Adcadet

Resident [Any Field]
    WFU2005 - thanks for the info! Since I've had nearly no time to prepare, make plans, or think about things, you've really been a big help!

Adcadet