Travel immunizations from your school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

So my school has a large number of us going on service trips overseas this summer. The challenge is that our "student insurance" won't cover the cost of travel immunizations. The travel clinic associated with our school is giving us a "discount" on the shots - but the total cost is still $300+.

Does anybody have any history of ordering immunizations direct from the manufacturer and having volunteer RNs administering them? I can't seem to find much on google.

Does anybody have a school policy that waives the "cost of visit" fee that is lumped on top of the cost of the vaccine? (our health service cost of visit is $59 just to get in the door on TOP of the cost of the vaccines - which have a nice little profit margin built into them).

Thanks in advance!

(PS - I tried to post this once, but SDN was being goofy - so if it gets double posted, apologies in advance)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Does anybody have any history of ordering immunizations direct from the manufacturer and having volunteer RNs administering them?

2) Does anybody have a school policy that waives the "cost of visit" fee that is lumped on top of the cost of the vaccine?

1) Odering your own stock might work for the oral typhoid vaccine, but with any injectable (e.g. Hep A?) you need to worry about how you will fulfill the precise temperature requirements for storage so the vaccine retains full potency. Where would it be delivered? Is that person home 100% of the time to accept delivery? Vaccine storage areas in the clinic are required to record the temperature twice daily.

2) Our local university health clinic does not charge any access or administration fee for any reason. Maybe you could meet with the clinic's director and negociate dismissal of such fees since the trip is for charitable/learning purposes.

Is is possible you could get these vaccines at a Public Health Clinic instead?