travel on credit before school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nartnad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im working right now, & saving for a month long trip before school. However, I MIGHT lose my job to an intern. (Sad story but might be true because I have no IT skills.)

I already bought my ticket - Im temped to keep the debt on my credit card, including other expenses that will accumulate until I leave in late May. After all, I NEED cash for my deposit and trip. Asking my parents for funds is out of the question. Once I get into school, I plan on getting full financial aid, but I have no idea how much 'extra' I'll be getting.

Would it be unwise to travel on debt in my situation? Will I be struggling once I get into school? Is anybody else thinking about doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how much you expect the trip to cost. I'd imagine you'd get 2-3k "extra" from financial aide but you'd probably have to live pretty modestly your first year if you decide to use it to pay off your card. btw which school have u decided to attend?

Taking on unnecessary consumer debt is never wise, IMHO. What if something happens while you're in school and you need more than the aid can offer you? There are always unforeseen expenses that pop up. Since you won't have an income in dental school, you could rack up a lot more credit card debt that will weigh you down in the future -- if not sooner, then later. If it starts affecting your credit score, it will affect almost anything else you do (house, car, any other loans). If you are unsure of it now, you probably already know it's not the best idea. I would recommend saving whatever you can, take on less debt, and breathe easier during and after dental school.