FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend residency programs that will pay for complete travel and hotel expenses for interviewing.

My husband and I are fairly open minded about where to do residency and I thought that free travel would be a good opportunity to explore other areas of the country that I wouldn't neccessarily otherwise. Thanks.

lowbudget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend residency programs that will pay for complete travel and hotel expenses for interviewing.

My husband and I are fairly open minded about where to do residency and I thought that free travel would be a good opportunity to explore other areas of the country that I wouldn't neccessarily otherwise. Thanks.
Ugh. Poor form. I hope you're serious about the programs you're going to. And if you're just in it for the free travel, just don't let faculty or residents at the programs you're traveling to find out that's what you're doing. Waste everybody's time (coordinator's, pulling faculty & residents from their work/rotation), pisses everyone off, and wastes resources.

No offense, but that money's set aside to help students out financially and a huge drain from FM programs with tight budgets... not for people to go to Disney for free.

Just my humble opinion. Sorry. No offense.

mwest

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey,

You actually posted this? :rolleyes:

OP
F

FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wow, uhh yeah.. As I read this again, I realize how bad this sounds. Let me be more clear

My spouse and are very open minded about where to move for residency. I am just at the beginning of looking at programs, but I want to check out programs in other areas of the country that I haven't been before. Of course I would go to programs that I am genuinely interested in applying to. Travel expenditures are an extra incentive that might be helpful to get me to visit programs in locations, that perhaps, I wouldn't have visited based on limited financial resources. I think that's a fair and legitimate use of residency programs resources.

Although, I appreciate your feedback and will sure to be judicious on my selection of residency programs so as not to waste programs time/ money.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Hey,

I have never heard of this happening. Most residency programs are under a huge budget crunch and don't care about the what it costs you to interview there. Most programs fill so if you can't get there, someone else will take your place. I will say that I did get $1000 relocation allowance when I started my residency. It helps but it cost me $5000 to move there. Interviewing is on your own dime.

Where I went to residency we did pick up the hotel tab and food for interviewees. Not the travel expense.

The only time I got reimbursed for travel was when I presented a poster as the chief resident at a national convention and represented our OPTI. I still had to come up with the money up front. Better start saving now because the money pit deepens that farther into training you get.

Last edited: