Traveling EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crewmaster1

Nattitwo
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any easy ways to do traveling EM? I'd love to travel internationally after residency doing 6-12 month stays in lot of different cool places. I know they have tons of companies that do this for nurses, are there any that do this for MDs? If not, maybe I should start one!

Members don't see this ad.

EM as known in the US is somewhat of a unique specialty. Most countries don't have ER's like we do in the US. The countries where you would do that type of volunteer or Aid work usually don't even have EMS systems. So I doubt there would programs where you'd work in EM per se, but you definitely could do international work in more of a PCP capacity.

From what I've been reading on this forum recently it is often exceedingly difficult to get a license to practice even in some poor countries. So I would imagine a one-stop thing would be easier than "globe hopping."

The thing I wonder about is consulting. I imagine that eventually the US model of EM is going to sweep over the globe. I don't really know to what extent this is already happening but I can easily imagine some cool consulting jobs opportunities overseas in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've been reading on this forum recently it is often exceedingly difficult to get a license to practice even in some poor countries. So I would imagine a one-stop thing would be easier than "globe hopping."

The thing I wonder about is consulting. I imagine that eventually the US model of EM is going to sweep over the globe. I don't really know to what extent this is already happening but I can easily imagine some cool consulting jobs opportunities overseas in the future.

USF has some people working on setting up EM training programs (residency) in India. I'm pretty sure a few other programs are doing this throughout other parts of the world. This is one way I know of that the US model of EM is being taught around the world. I think they do it on a volunteer type basis, not as a consulting job though.

Several academic depts are working on EM development internationally. Many associated with International EM fellowships--but not everyone who does this work in the dept is a fellow or the fellowship director. Maybe a dedicated interest can get you on some of the trips without a fellowship if you aren't interested in that (see the recent thread about IEM fellowships).

NZ is a possibility for a year, might be tougher being fresh out of residency though.

There are some hospitals abroad that actively seek ED physicians to work abroad, usually on a consulting basis. Off hand I recall that the Netherlands and Bali, Indonesia have medical centers that seek ED physicians from the US. If I recall properly, they will help pay for your flight out and provide either housing or a stipend.

There's opportunities out there, it's just a matter of finding them. If you are willing to do volunteer work, it will definitely be easier to find a place abroad to work.

There are some hospitals abroad that actively seek ED physicians to work abroad, usually on a consulting basis. Off hand I recall that the Netherlands and Bali, Indonesia have medical centers that seek ED physicians from the US. If I recall properly, they will help pay for your flight out and provide either housing or a stipend.

There's opportunities out there, it's just a matter of finding them. If you are willing to do volunteer work, it will definitely be easier to find a place abroad to work.

I too am really thinking about doing some short stints internationally before i "settle down" with a group in the US. Dubai, Malaysia, New Zealand are some of the places I've thought about. Where do you find these opportunities?

JkGrocerz

I found out about these opportunities from the ACEP international section a couple years back. I will see if I have some of the contact info. When I took ATLS last spring, there was a guy that was going to be working in Dubai. I have heard from him and others that there are 1 year contracts available to work out there. I don't have the contact info for it, but I will try and track it down for you.

anyone know of opportunities in latin america? esp in costa rica, lots of north american retirees, surely they want an EP to push their lytics and lasix???

I think it's fairly easy to get an overseas position as long as you don't require a paycheck.