? traveling for Finch interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by trying2becomeMD, Dec 14, 2001.

1. trying2becomeMD

trying2becomeMD Senior Member

I am thinking of renting a car from O'Hara airport. Does anyone have any experience driving from the airport to the area near med school? I'll probably stay at the hotel near med school overnight.

Approximately what time is the interview over? I want to book a flight either 3 or 4pm, but factoring in the time to return the rental car (and filling the gas tank), I don't know if I'll be able to make it back to the airport -- is there traffic on the freeway during the afternoon?

BTW, I'm going on the second week of jan.
    TIA

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

hello. you'd better believe there will be traffic at that time in the afternoon!!! i'm thinking that the most direct way you could take to get from finch to o'hare would be to take 294 south. it will be a parking lot at that time of the day. you may luck out, but i'm warning you just so you prepare for the worst--it may take as long as two hours to get from point A to B at that time of the day. it also depends somewhat on what day of the week your interview is. friday rush hour often begins earlier in the afternoon, but not always.

i don't know anything about the structure of the interview day, having never interviewed there, so i can't help you there.

sandflea, the unhappy chicago expressway commuter

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats

Trying2Submit,

It's time to change your name :)
    to something like..

Trying2Getin
    :p

5. trying2becomeMD

Sandflea, thanks for your quick reply! Yikes, sounds more or less like LA traffic...

Scooby Doo,

You are right! Hmmm, how do I change my id....

Anyway, my interview is on Thursday. The latest flight I can take is at 6pm, so I have 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm. But my concern of course is having to return the rental car at the airport which can take upto 1 hour, I think...

I really would appreciate your feedbacks.

6. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

thursday rush hour can be brutal. personally i think that along with mondays, thursday is the worst day of the week to be on an expressway during rush hour around here. but i would find out when your interview day ends before you make any flight reservations.

7. Scooby Doo

At the top of the page it should say "my profile" along with "register" , "search", "faq" and "forum home"...

Go to "my profile" and you can edit the screenname that OTHERS see...it should be pretty self-explanatory...

8. trying2becomeMD

Change of identity ----> Trying2becomeMD

:)

9. Scooby Doo

NICE!!!!!!!!

10. lilninja

lilninja Senior Member

The interview notice mentions that you should be out pretty early. I went on a Thursday in late November... I think we got out at about 12:30, I grabbed lunch there, because I was starving (the cafeteria is pretty inexpensive, and not bad) and took my rental car back right after that...the wasn't any traffic at 2pm. My flight left at 8pm (I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time) so I was there pretty early. But I was flying AA, and checked to see if I could get on the next available flight, and got on one at 4:15pm, no extra fees. I'd say you should play it safe and book the 5pm flight... maybe the 4 pm flight, if you skip lunch. Good luck! It's an easy drive... the directions are pretty good, I didn't even need a map.
    Oh, one last thing... I found a cheap car rental on orbitz.com at Payless car rentals... I drove a corolla for 16.38 per day + 9 for being under 25. It was the best deal I could find. Most rentals have a shuttle to pick you up.

11. trying2becomeMD

lilninja,

Thanks for the information! I decided to book 6pm flight, so that I won't be stressed getting back to the airport.

:)