Traveling from Bronx to Valhalla?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

Attention New Yorkers...

What is the best way for me to get from Einstein to NYMC since the interviews are one day apart? Is there a bus that runs really early in the morning or late in the evening, or will I need to rent a car?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Doctor Kevin,

I am from Yonkers which is really close to the Bronx. You can take the 1 or 9 subway in the Bronx or Manhattan to 242nd Street and Broadway and then take the IC bus which will take you to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla which is really close to the NYMC.

---Dr J

oops that is 1C not IC

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the best way to get from JFK airport to NYMC?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Yeah, actually I need to know how to get from JFK to Bronx and/or Valhalla as well. So much planning to do!

Originally posted by askew01
What is the best way to get from JFK airport to NYMC?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
hey,

there's two possibilities:

1) take cab to train station, go to grand central station in nyc, and from grand central, take the aiport buses to jfk. Trip will be 30-something.

2) take a cab to white plains. (about $10). from there, take CT limo to jfk. I haven't used them before, but I remember looking at it when i was interviewing at nymc and consideirng flying out of jfk for the next interview. www.ctlimo.com.

I'm from near Valhalla and I work in the Bronx so hopefully I know where I'm going. I believe the closest train to Einstein is the 6, but you have to take a bus there. You can take the 6 to 125th St in Manhattan and from there take Metro North, the Harlem Line to the Hawthorne train station, which is the closest one. There is a taxi stand right outside teh Hawthorne station and it will be a 5 minute ride to NYMC.

As far as getting from JFK to NYMC, we do have super shuttle and other share rides to Westchester. Connecticut Limosine comes to mind. That we be the most convenient, without breaking the bank. Or you can take a shuttle bus from JFK to Grand Central (I think it's like $15, and then take the Metro North Harlem line to Hawthorne as I described above.

Good luck folks! I'm a tad jealous as I'm still waiting to hear from both schools. If my last recommender would just send the f-cking letter already.

the closer train to einstein is actually the 5, specifically the east 180th street stop. you can take the 21 bus to get there :)

LOL, ctlimo is a tad too expensive for my tastes.....anyont know the train numbers? Or better yet, a website on the NY subways?

Originally posted by askew01
LOL, ctlimo is a tad too expensive for my tastes.....anyont know the train numbers? Or better yet, a website on the NY subways?

try mta.org

however, i think you guys are putting yourselves in a real tough situation by going the public transit route. i'm a native long islander, and i wouldn't mess w/ the trains in the bx back down to grand central to metro north. nor would i recommend trying to find shuttles out of jfk. i think renting a car will make things SO much easier that it'll be worth it's cost. good luck.

Originally posted by DW
the closer train to einstein is actually the 5, specifically the east 180th street stop. you can take the 21 bus to get there :)

The 5 isn't that close to Einstein. The other poster who mentioned that the 6 is the closest is correct. I would know this since I've lived in the Bronx my whole life :D .

Anyways, to answer the original poster's question: I would definitely not mess with mass transit. Why bother with the hassle of taking multiple trains- especially if you are not familiar with the Bronx/Manh./Valhalla. Price renting a car vs. taking a cab to Valhalla, and then choose the cheapest.