• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Sakuran21

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
Hi everybody,
I don't know about everybody else, but this whole med school application thing has been extremely stressful on its own. For those traveling to other states and/or missing class for interviews, how have your teachers been handling it. I have this one teacher who says my multiple absences are out of control and are not fair to the rest of the students who "actually come to class" (their exact words). This is despite the fact that I gave her a heads up that I may be missing some classes this semester. I mean wtf, it's not like I'm skipping class to clown around. What does she want me to do, turn down my interviews!!!!! :mad: The only absences I have in her class have been the result of flying to interviews. Ahhhhhhhh.......I feel so frustrated. :mad:

Thanks.
-Sakuran21

goldenwest

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Talk to the department head or your pre-med adviser. Maybe they can have a word with your professor.

apgar

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
While I haven't had to miss class for medical school interviews, I did have to miss quite a bit of high school for interviews for scholarships/auditions. Some of the teachers were very understanding and accommodating while others were not quite as nice (kind of like your situation). After I talked to my guidance counselor, she had a talk with my teachers (the not-so-accommodating ones) and somehow, they got better. :)

I know it can be frustrating; I hope you'll be able to fix the problem somehow. If not, there really isn't anything you can do. (At least you know you won't have to deal with any of that next year.) Best of luck!

About the Ads

niranjan162

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
ur not in college so u can impress this lady, your in college to help u get a job or higher education which takes interviews, if she doesnt understand this go over her head.

Sakuran21

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
Thanks everyone for the response. Unfortunately, she is the department head. I'm really worried that she is going to count my absences against me in terms of my grade despite doing well on the class tests and papers.

Kaydubz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
NH
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone for the response. Unfortunately, she is the department head. I'm really worried that she is going to count my absences against me in terms of my grade despite doing well on the class tests and papers.

What's the big deal anyway. After you get your B (oh no!) you can just mail her a copy of your acceptance letter(s)

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have only had problems with two professors- my bioethics professor has a policy that every absence causes you to lose a grade letter for the attendance portion of your grade... because I had the flu and interviews I will be making an F for attendance and that could be the ONLY thing that causes me to have a B...

Also, my physics prof gives out random quizzes so I missed those... he said it should be ok but I am not so sure..

All the other profs have been great! My history of science teacher lets me make up test and stuff after I get back from the trip (I have had to do that a couple times)... I actually got my acceptance to Tech in his office- he was so excited...

Good luck with skipping classes- I am sure glad that I am accepted and won't have to miss anymore

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah, I definitely have one professor who is just like that. One time, I told him like three times prior that I would be absent a certain day for interviews. He said that it should be ok and that I didnt have to do anything. So when I got back, I find out they had a quiz that he wont let me make up and he gave me a ZERO!!!!! :mad: It's not gonna destroy my grade (might be the difference between an A or B) but its just the prinicple of the matter. I hate feeling that I lost points for nothing that I did wrong.....it just bugs the crap out of me. But I decided not to make any waves, because the effort to get it fixed wouldnt match the benefit I would get out of it. Im just tryin to learn that sometimes people screw you over and you have to move on. Good luck on your interviews!

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
where do you guys go that professors even notice, let alone care, that you're missing?

In a class of 400 students, one absent is hardly substantial.. half my class is usually missing, and not because they're doing something worthwhile, just because it's at 8am

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well the only advice I have is just to be as polite as possible about the situation.

(Nicely) offer to show her the interview invitations if she's concerned that you're just skipping class for the fun of it.

Ask her if you could perhaps do extra work to make up for the absences.

Apologize for your absence and explain that you don't mean to offend her in any way.

Maybe you don't like this woman but you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. No sense in making her any more annoyed than she already appears to be.

My $0.02 for whatever it's worth.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
where do you guys go that professors even notice, let alone care, that you're missing?

In a class of 400 students, one absent is hardly substantial.. half my class is usually missing, and not because they're doing something worthwhile, just because it's at 8am
I have a class this semester of 10 people. If I'm not there, its extremely noticeable. In fact, none of my classes this semester are over 35 people.

Destro96

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

If this is the case and you have already tried the nice route, it's time to pay a visit to the dean of students.

Considering physical presence in a class as part of grading is silly enough (it's usually only done to feed someone's ego). Doing it your situation is totally absurd.

goldenwest

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If this is the case and you have already tried the nice route, it's time to pay a visit to the dean of students.

Considering physical presence in a class as part of grading is silly enough (it's usually only done to feed someone's ego). Doing it your situation is totally absurd.

I agree. If pianola's advice doesn't work go over her head.

MilkmanAl

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Most upper-level and honors courses have a much smaller class size. I am at a large, public university, and some of my freshman courses were 300+ students (Biology and Chemistry). My upper-division and honors courses have around 10-30 students.

One of my honors courses my freshman year had 9 people. It would be quite obvious if I was absent from class.
I had the same experience. It's even more obvious when you're gone if you regularly attend class.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Did you put in a formal request in writing? Send an email if you have not, it's bad to have verbal agreements. If she doesn't chill...

Have the schools you interview at write a letter saying where you were on that day. Or if you're too shy, approach the dean of arts/sciences at your school about it. I had a teacher who tried to downcurve without warning...I took it to the ombudsperson and I had an A instead of an A-. Teachers can't do whatever the heck they please, especially if you are being curteous. You're doing your best and you have goals. If she doesn't understand, talk to her superior that does.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Has your professor actually threatened to dock your grade because of your absences, or has she just expressed disapproval?

I had a professor last year while I was working on my MS who told me that if I missed his class for interviews, he had no doubt in his mind that I would fail the class. He told me that I was wasting my time, and that he didn't want me to come crying to him when the **** hit the fan.

Well, when the end of the semester came around, this professor actually offered me a public apology and told me that he was sorry for assuming that I would do poorly. He and I have had a very positive relationship ever since.

Anyway, I guess my point is that "concern" is different than a threat to dock your grade. I think the first thing you need to do is meet with her and figure out where you stand - there is no need to worry until you know exactly what her plans are.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.