Traveling to Erie?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by WishUponAStar, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Okay...

Suggestions on getting to Erie from the Northeast. Buses are ineffcient... Checked the schedules. Amtrak only runs out of Penn station and it's a 14 hour train for a 9 hour trip. Commuter flights from Philadelphia to Pittsburg are about $100.00, but then there is the drive to Erie...

I'm baffled... There has got to be a good way to get to Erie...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PhillyGirl

PhillyGirl Member

I flew to Erie from Boston, with a layover/switch to a prop-plane in Philly (it may have been Pittsburgh). If I did it again, I would fly to Pitt and drive to Erie. You're gonna rent a car in Erie anyways, so you might as well drive from Pitt. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Michelle

4. jean

jean Member

Wishupon a star

I know from previous posts you have issues with LECOM, I think you will be surprised, keep an open mind. It's a really good D.O. program.

5. Boris

Boris Junior Member

I took a Greyhound Bus from Port Authority in Manhattan. It took me about 9 hours to get to Erie, but the bus went through Upstate New Yorkand made few stops. Another bus company may go to Erie through PA and the trip might be shorter. I have been accepted to LECOM and I am considering going there. If I do go there I will probably drive. I heard that it takes about 6 hours to go from Brooklyn, NY to Erie by car.

Regards,
    Boris

6. Luca45

Luca45 Junior Member

I drove to Erie from long Island, pretty much on the NYS Thruway the entire way. It goes through upstate NY (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo etc) But from what I understand, that is the fastest way, because it is ALL main roads...The same one for about 8 hours as a matter of fact. It wasn't bad traveling there at all. Good luck.

7. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    I went to LECOM from Long Island also...the best way/shortest way is to fly Southwest(MacArthur/Islip) to Cleaveland..and then rent a car and drive 2 1/2-3 hours to Erie..or you can fly into Buffalo...and drive ~3 hours as well...Cleaveland was cheaper and faster though...

Best of luck...

8. Thanks for the suggestions all,

I guess there is no "easy" way to get there. My ultimate goal would have been to actually get a plane from point A to Erie.

It's an 8 hour car ride. I think that is my easiest option. I'll just suck it up and make the long haul.

Jean, I'm not sure why you think that I have reservations about LECOM. My opinion has always been that medschool is primarily what you make of it. Erie has it's shortcomings much like every school, but I wouldn't be ashamed to attend there. I'd be delighted if they accepted me.

9. Crazed

Crazed Member

I needed to get to Erie from central Jersey. The flights were ridiculouosly expensive, the buses and trains would take some 14hrs to get there. So, without much choice left, I DROVE. It's like a 7 hr drive all across PA with nothing to look at except rolling hills, and the trucks driving next to you. NOt the most fun experience. However, on the way there, I stopped half way and stayed in a hotel over night. It made the drive easier. After my interview, I drove straight back - I guess it wasn't too bad, just boring. Get a book on tape to keep you occupied. I don't see the point of flying to Pitt and getting a car, though - it's still a pretty far drive from there.