Traveling to KCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by charlotte.sometimes, Dec 19, 2000.

1. charlotte.sometimes

10+ Year Member

Is anyone heading to KCOM for an interview this week? Anyone have advice on the best driving route from the Kansas City airport? Also, I'm a bit concerned about the weather . . . I will be flying into KC on the 20th and then driving to K'ville. If this coincides with someone's plans, please contact me. Sharing driving and conversation would be very welcome.

Here's my email address:

[email protected]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jimmybee

jimmybee Internal Medicine Hospitalist, formerly med/peds
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck on the drive. It might be rough, but it is definitely do-able. I drove through a major snowstorm on the 13th all the way from Michigan and I made it. Kansas City shouldn't be a problem.

4. uflake

uflake New Member

I am a first year at KCOM coming from Florida. Kirksville has been getting some wintery weather over the past couple of weeks, but up until I left it wasn't really that bad. Make sure to give yourself some extra time (my flight was delayed coming back to Florida for break).

As for directions from the KC airport. Go to yahoo.com and go under maps. Type in the name of the airport and the address of the school. I still use their directions every time I go to the airport. Just drive slowly and rent a large car or SUV. The roads that yahoo maps out tend to be salted well and clear of snow. Good luck on the interview and drive safe. I hope to see you next year at KCOM.

5. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As "flake" pointed out, we've had a good bit of winter up here...but, being a more northern clime, they are far better equipped to handle it vs. Dallas...where I last resided!

Anyhow, you're best bet would be to avoid the "shortcuts" and stick to interstates & major highways as much as possible. They tend to be the first to be cleared and remain that way.

All you have to do is exit the airport via I-435 heading east (I believe the sing says toward St. Louis)...you'll eventually run into I-35...go north on I-35 until you hit state highway 36 at Cameron (probably 50 ~ 60 miles). Go east on 36 until you hit US highway 63 at Macon, this is probably 130 miles. Turn north on 63 and you are only 32 miles from Kirksville...but this will most likely be the worst stretch of road, so drive carefully!

We are expecting another 2+ inches tomorrow evening. We already have close to a foot on the ground; but the roads are largely clear. They are also calling for more snow this coming Sat. We haven't breeched 25 degrees in nearly 3 weeks...hell, we haven't hit 15 in 4 days. Bring a warm coat, today was the first day that the wind chills have been above -15.

Best of luck to you in your interview!!!

------------------
    David W. Kelley, MS-2
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!