Traveling to Madurai from the East Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JR

Hello everyone,

I am an ophthalmology resident getting ready to travel to Madurai this summer for an elective at the Aravind Eye Hospital. I am traveling from the East Coast and can leave from NY, NJ, Philli, Baltimore or Washington airports. I found that airfare prices are through the roof this summer season. The cheapest I found so far is on Air India leaving from NYC with 3 stops to Madurai ($2200). Is Air India a good airline? Reliable? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get the best price? Any suggestions on specific travel agents people had luck with before?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Air India is reliable. The service is on par with any American airline (cold and indifferent), except that they have better food, and don't nickel and dime you for alcoholic drinks. The service isn't as good as Emirates, Singapore, Cathay or other East asian airlines.

You could book a flight to Chennai (Madras, MAA) and then a separate ticket on a domestic flight from Chennai to Madurai. That will save you a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for advice. Just today I purchased a ticket and which is by far the best deal I found for this upcoming summer. I am flying out of New Jersey through Frankfort on Continental -> Lufthansa to MAA and then using Jet airways to get to Madurai. The whole package was $1995 including taxes. I briefly looked into the East Asian airlines and found nothing for even twice that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The checked baggage allowance outside flights originating/ending in North America is just 1 checked bag. If you got MAA to Madurai on a separate ticket than your International ticket, check with the airline in advance to make sure they don't charge you extra.

Thanks for advice. Just today I purchased a ticket and which is by far the best deal I found for this upcoming summer. I am flying out of New Jersey through Frankfort on Continental -> Lufthansa to MAA and then using Jet airways to get to Madurai. The whole package was $1995 including taxes. I briefly looked into the East Asian airlines and found nothing for even twice that.
Continental is the worst airline I've flown (and I've flown several). Good luck.

Thanks for advice. Interestingly, several Indian residents and attendings I've talked to about this told me that Indian airlines are the worst they have ever flown. Go figure...

The service in Indian airlines has improved a lot, especially the bigger ones. But the el cheapo airlies like Deccan have terrible service. Remember, I didn't say they have great service, they are just as cold and indifferent as the American ones. They aren't as good as the East Asian ones (Malaysian, Singapore, Cathay) or other good airlines (Emirates, and some others).

Avoid Air India at all costs. I speak from experience when I say they are absolutely terrible. Countless delays and technical problems. If you have tight funds then go Air India otherwise stick with an American Airline like United. They are reasonable.