Traveling to Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be at the school by noon. I'd like to travel on the morning of so I dont have to spend money on a hotel room, but all of the flights I have checked get into Philadelphia international no sooner than 11:15 AM.

Do you think thats cutting it too close? How much does a taxi cost from the airport to the Penn medical center?

Also, do you think the admissions office would let me stow my luggage temporarily in their office during the first day until I meet my student host later?

Members don't see this ad.

errr.. so what you're asking is if we think that 45 minutes is enought time to allocate for your plane being on time, your luggage arriving quick, catching a cab/bus/ride/rental-car, driving, finding the right office (unless you've been there before). . .
In my opinion, you should look into spending the night. I know how expensive this whole process is becoming, but I think it'd be worth the money to get a room. Why aren't you flying in and then staying w/ your host the night before?
Let me know what your thoughts are on the subject- my interview is at the end of the month.
-Best luck.

hehe...45 minutes? i'd say if the flight is on time, meaning it gets to the gate at 11:15, you could still not get out of the airport by noon after getting off the plane, finding your way out of the terminal, taking a piss (i always seem to after flights), and getting a cab. nuff said!

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor-

I have a boyfriend at Penn Law, so I've done the airport thing a bunch of times. Like the others said, it really depends on your plane being absolutely on time. I've never taken a cab from the airport, but I've driven past the airport to Penn's campus and it usually takes 20-30 minutes. The drive within itself will get you to to the campus around 11:45 not withstanding traffic. There is also a local train (SEPTA) that will take you from the airport 33rd and South Sts or to 30 St station. The train is $5, but it takes 15-25 minutes. There are two or three hotels in the area (Sheraton, Ivy Inn, and Penn Towers) of the med school, but I think you can stay with a host in the grad school dorms or near by. It shouldn't be more than a 10 minute walk to the Admissions office. Hope this info helps you out.

Penn is about 10-15 minutes from the airport (max!). Taxi fare is a flat rate of $20 from PHL to Center City regardless of specific destination. You might find a taxi driver who will say that Penn is not in Center City proper and charge you a meter rate, but that would still NOT be above $20. If your plane arrives on time, and you only have carry-on luggage, this is definitely possible! The more inexpensive method after your interview to the airport is the R1 train that leaves from the University train station and goes directly to the airport - it runs every 30 minutes and is only a few dollars.

Yes - you can store your luggage at Penn during your interview - they allow students to do this - I have seen this firsthand.

Good luck and if you have any specific questions about Penn, E-mail me - I've worked at Penn for about 7 years now.

I don't think 45 min is enough. Have you considered staying with a student host rather than paying for a hotel room?