Traveling to Vermont

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by P60001, Nov 24, 2001.

1. P60001

P60001 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello all- I have a couple of questions for anyone that has interviewed at Vermont. I have an interview in January. I will be flying in from Oregon, and would appreciate any advice on the best airport to fly into. Manchester, NH is suggested in the paperwork I received from U of Vermont. What about Albany, NY? I will be renting a car, so traveling will be possible. Also, I am used winter snow driving, so that is not a problem either. I am also curious about the interview atmosphere. Was it stressful, or relaxed? Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks-- :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed in Vermont in early November. The interview is really relaxed. I was interviewed by 2 faculty at one time, for about an hour. No tough questions at all. The interview is at the end of the day, after the school tour and lunch. I actually took a train up from Manhattan, NY so I wouldn't be able to really tell you anything. However, I know that Burlington is an international airport and is really close to the school. So if I were you, I'd try to fly into Burlington. Also, most hotels there are close to the school. I stayed at the Holiday Inn, which had a shuttle that took me to the school. The Sheraton is right across the street from the med school. All you really got to do is walk up a hill. Hope this helps.

altaskier

House D.O. likes this.
  4. kd

kd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Since it's the dead of winter, I'd try to fly straight into Burlington, if possible, even though flights into Burlington can be VERY expensive. If you did fly into Albany, you could probably get a great deal on Southwest from Portland (they're still running the $89 coast-to-coast special, so you can't beat the price.) Driving on the interstate north of Albany shouldn't be too bad- but the trick is getting across Lake Champlain into Vermont. You have to take a ferry, one of which continues to run in winter- but in extreme weather, may shut down temporarily. The alternative route would be to cross into Vermont straight from Albany- but that involves taking some backroads and state highways-not a great idea either. Given the time of year you'll be there and the inherent stress of interviewing, I'd try to fly straight into Burlington if at all possible.

5. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

Like i'd said, I'd have to agree with kd. Fly into Burlington. It'll save you a lot of hassels. But if that is too expensive, you can take the amtrak into Essex Junction and then it's only a 10 minute cab ride into Burlington. That is what I did.

6. P60001

P60001 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks kd and altaskier. I'll do some surfing and see what I can get into Burlington. Best of luck to the two of you.

7. Ciardeme

Ciardeme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There is a comfort inn about 5 miles from the school. It is nice and cheap. We frequent it during ski season. I haven't gotten an interview yet, but still hopeful. It is pretty much my first choice. Good luck to all of you. :)