Travelling to D.C. from NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCqueen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Can someone Please tell me the best way to travel from NYC to D.C. for my GW interview? I thought I would take Amtrak, but that's over $300!!! Someone please tell me there is a better and cheaper way!
While we are at it, does anyone know where I can reserve a semi-inexpensive hotel? The hotels that are listed on the website are pricey. (I guess this serves me right for doing everything last minute . . . )

Thanks is advance for all your help, you guys are awesome!
BC

Members don't see this ad.

are you sure amtrak costs that much? i thought nyc to dc was more like $150 or so. make sure the option selected is not the acela express or metroliner...and click on the one that says unreserved coach. when's your interview? guess it could be that expensive if it's last minute...

you could try greyhound. or even the chinatown bus. not sure about the details on that though.

good luck!

My interview is on Thursday. I am going to try Amtrak again . . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
yup, i took it from DC to NY for an interview. 160 R/T for unreserved coach. 300 is Acela prices.

any chance jetblue flys from nyc to dc? i know jetblue goes to those places but i dont know they fly to and from each other.

I remembered taking the Delta Shuttle (maybe it was US Air?) from Ronald Regan to LaGuardia. They have a student discount for people under 24. The ticket is about $74 one way.

nope. jetblue doesn't fly that route. However, that is a "shuttle" route so generally speaking you should be able to find that flight for really really cheap (perhaps on Us airways).

chinatown bus is 32 bucks each way.

train would probably be most enjoyable....and it would give you ample space and time to prepare mentally for the interview