Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
Hey current dental students.

Do you guys still go to a regular dentist to get cleanings and other treatments or can you have the 4th years do them? Do you get free dental treatment at school or any discounts? :confused:

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
IWuvTeef said:
Hey current dental students.

Do you guys still go to a regular dentist to get cleanings and other treatments or can you have the 4th years do them? Do you get free dental treatment at school or any discounts? :confused:
At IUSD you'll get most treatment in the school clinics for free. Treatment from specialty residents costs a little bit (I think full-mouth banded ortho runs about $750), and you might have to pay lab fees for any pros work. Prophies are definitely free; I've visited Brandi in the hygiene clinic twice a year since arriving at IUSD.

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
aphistis said:
At IUSD you'll get most treatment in the school clinics for free. Treatment from specialty residents costs a little bit (I think full-mouth banded ortho runs about $750), and you might have to pay lab fees for any pros work. Prophies are definitely free; I've visited Brandi in the hygiene clinic twice a year since arriving at IUSD.
I have a 7/8 gold crown with a build-up that has been in my mouth for over 25 years. This was done by a third year student. Of course, back then we did all of our own laboratory work.

It was always nice seeing the students in dental hygiene for routine prophylaxis.
Oh! By the way they were all female! ;)

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
DrTacoElf said:
Is cosmetic work often offered.

I.e. Amalgam --> porcelain conversions.
If a patient wants elective cosmetic work done, like swapping an amalgam to something tooth-colored, that's their prerogative. To my knowledge, IUSD's policy is that there's no reason to replace a functional restoration if the patient isn't concerned.

Cudental007

CUdental007
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
All of the dental work at our school is free. A lot of students are wearing braces because they don't have to pay for them. My classmates get fillings, extractions, etc from 3rd or fourth years. If you are weary, faculty have private practices at the school and you can sched an appt with them, but they're usually booked all the time.
I've had prophy done by a fourth year, and by my class mate. Unfortuately, you have a lot of non surg procedures done on you by your classmates- as per required assignments :(

CUdental007

OP
IWuvTeef

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
thanks for the responses. glad to know i won't have to worry about finding a new dentist :D

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Fullosseousflap said:
I have a 7/8 gold crown with a build-up that has been in my mouth for over 25 years. This was done by a third year student. Of course, back then we did all of our own laboratory work.

It was always nice seeing the students in dental hygiene for routine prophylaxis.
Oh! By the way they were all female! ;)
you are really amazing.

JRogoff

Resident Palatal Phallacy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
Plantation, FL
Visit site
Status
Dentist
aphistis said:
If a patient wants elective cosmetic work done, like swapping an amalgam to something tooth-colored, that's their prerogative. To my knowledge, IUSD's policy is that there's no reason to replace a functional restoration if the patient isn't concerned.

This is a very interesting topic. Nova's policy on replacing clinically sound restorations for purely aesthetic reasons is considered "unethical" and is not permitted. I was just wondering what other schools have to say about replacing sound restorations???

Mr. So-So

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
JRogoff said:
This is a very interesting topic. Nova's policy on replacing clinically sound restorations for purely aesthetic reasons is considered "unethical" and is not permitted. I was just wondering what other schools have to say about replacing sound restorations???
so..
are veneers at nova unethical also??

Mr. So-So

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
aphistis said:
What does that have to do with replacing clinically sound restorations?
veneers are an ideal option to mask discolored (stained) restorations in the anterior.
which means, you'll occationally get patients wanting to do something about their clinically sound...yet esthetically unacceptable restoration.

happy?
it is pretty basic stuff actually.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Mr. So-So said:
veneers are an ideal option to mask discolored (stained) restorations in the anterior.
which means, you'll occationall get patients wanting to do something about their clinically sound...yet esthetically unacceptable restoration.

happy?
it is pretty basic stuff actually.
Cool the condescending motor, pal. It was a simple question.

Mr. So-So

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
aphistis said:
Cool the condescending motor, pal. It was a simple question.

the question was fine, but your tact in delivery needs improvement.

on a side note, (and please don't take offense...again) you may want to have a friendly chat with your physician about the benefits of Lithium Carbonate. It may help you reach a more "mellowness" in your life.

sincerely,
your pal.

smile.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Mr. So-So said:
the question was fine, but your tact in delivery needs improvement.

on a side note, (and please don't take offense...again) you may want to have a friendly chat with your physician about the benefits of Lithium Carbonate. It may help you reach a more "mellowness" in your life.

sincerely,
your pal.

smile.
Gee, how antithetical. Your "tact in delivery" here is great, but the suggestion being delivered is itself insulting. You'll have to pardon me if I cast a skeptical eye at your benevolent, magnanimous efforts to diagnose me as bipolar.

Now, I'm hoping I'm completely finished with this thread and its unfortunate demise, but that's going to depend on whether any more psychiatric diagnoses come my way.