Treatment for periorbital edema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cognitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PACU resident. Have a patient who had laparoscopic hysterectomy and now has periorbital edema due to steep trendelenburg. Pain from that eye too. I've been taught how to prevent it but how does one actually treat this. Should I keep in PACU overnight and monitor?

Members don't see this ad.

PACU resident. Have a patient who had laparoscopic hysterectomy and now has periorbital edema due to steep trendelenburg. Pain from that eye too. I've been taught how to prevent it but how does one actually treat this. Should I keep in PACU overnight and monitor?

I dont think so. If no vision changes, send him/her out. It will get better on its own. I dont know if there are proven treatments. Get up and walk around?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think so. If no vision changes, send him/her out. It will get better on its own. I dont know if there are proven treatments. Get up and walk around?
Him/her? It was a hysterectomy. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Unplug the robot (if applicable). I always wonder if the decreased length of hospitalization factors in the two days it seems to take to complete the hysterectomy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

I think a lot of times these are mistaken for corneal abrasions. I apply lacrilube and tape the eye shut with a 4x4 and paper tape keeping the eye closed. It takes away the sensation of having gritty sand stuck in the eye. I tell them it can happen and if it does not resolve in 24hr then I'll have an eye doctor come see them. Of course I do a basic exam (look at the thing) to rule out anything totally obviously wrong (such as a robot arm pushing into the eye...... which thankfully has not occurred as we are careful and vigilant about that. However, do not think a foam pad will necessarily protect it from an electric servo motor....)

:eyebrow:

Compression stocking pulled over the head, bank-robber style, of course.

But I'm curious what your technique is.
Eyepads, tegaderm, judicious use of IVF