Trends in acceptance from your undergrad institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

towellman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad at UW-Milwaukee. I study at the MCW library quite often and have noticed that many med students as MCW come from Idaho and Utah. It seems MCW has a history of taking students from the same undergrad institutions over and over again and they have spotted some schools in Utah and Idaho as good feeder programs.

Does anyone know of any trends like this ? Obviously, since I am from Wisconsin I am more likely to be accepted at Madison or MCW than anywhere else but I would love to know if any med schools actually look for UWM students as MCW looks for students from their feeder schools.

Do other schools do the same things ?

Members don't see this ad.

DPS319 said:
BYU kids going to Ohio State. I dont get it.

I've noticed that, too. It's weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
DPS319 said:
BYU kids going to Ohio State. I dont get it.

Ahh... yes... mormans.... MCW seems to love the mormans from Utah as well...

it makes sense since they grow up being forced into service work. they do actually go to third world countries for a couple of years after college and do service. they also dont drink or do drugs so they probably are in better shape to study than most.

Haemulon said:
Milwaukee. Mmmmmm. Great beer.

I think Steel Reserve may be brewed somewhere in Wisconsin.

majority rice premeds go to Baylor or UT-Southwestern
They are too scared too leave Texas....j/k

tuition is crzy cheap at both schools.

towellman said:
I am an undergrad at UW-Milwaukee. I study at the MCW library quite often and have noticed that many med students as MCW come from Idaho and Utah. It seems MCW has a history of taking students from the same undergrad institutions over and over again and they have spotted some schools in Utah and Idaho as good feeder programs.

Does anyone know of any trends like this ? Obviously, since I am from Wisconsin I am more likely to be accepted at Madison or MCW than anywhere else but I would love to know if any med schools actually look for UWM students as MCW looks for students from their feeder schools.

Do other schools do the same things ?

Actually, this should not be surprising. Adcoms are aware of what has happened in the past with admissions. Some schools tend to turn out applicants that do well at their institution, for any number of reasons. One important reason is that the med school gets a reputation for taking graduates of a particular institution, and so applicants will put more effort into the application for that med school. Also, adcoms become familiar with the type of applicant coming from a particular undergrad school, and if those admitted students do well as medical students, the adcom is more willing to take applicants from that undergrad school.

Status
Not open for further replies.