tri-care and dependency status questions for my child

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am divorced and have joint custody of my son, but not primary residence. Does anyone know:

1. Will he be able to get on with tri-care?
2. Will he be considered my dependent? ( I know there's a significant
difference in BAH pay if you have a dependent)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am divorced and have joint custody of my son, but not primary residence. Does anyone know:

1. Will he be able to get on with tri-care?
2. Will he be considered my dependent? ( I know there's a significant
difference in BAH pay if you have a dependent)

Thanks!

Simple answer. Yes and yes. You just need to add him as your dependant on your Page 2. (your personnel dept will take care of that)

speaking from experience. . .

1. definitely
2. it depends if you are paying child support and have joint custody. if so, you should get with dep BAH. it also depends on if your ex is military or not. if not, you are good. if they are, then you may only get partial BAH for when the child(ren) are with you. i found this online:

Q29: I am divorced with children, what is my BAH allowance?

It depends on whether or not you have legal and physical custody of your children, pay child support, and/or live in single-type GOV'T quarters. If you have legal and physical custody of your children, then you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not assigned adequate family-type GOV'T QTRS. If your former spouse has custody and you are paying adequate child support (at least in an amount of your BAH-DIFF rate) you are authorized BAH at the with-dependent rate if not in GOV’T quarters or BAH-DIFF if assigned single-type GOV'T quarters

hope that helps,

-- your friendly neighborhood joint custody-ing caveman