TriCare while on six week ADT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callendm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question that I hope someone can answer. I am a third year medical student (Army HPSP). I am doing an at school ADT Aug. 15h-Sept. 30th. Anyways, while on my ADT can I seek the benefits of Tri-Care Health Insurance. My problem is that I am taking one medication that is fairly expensive and exceeds the yearly maximum allotted by my school’s health plan (a measly $1,500). I was wondering if I can get this Rx filled through Tri-Care during my ADT. If this is feasible is there any way to front load my meds and stock up? Would I just go to a pharmacy say at the local Navy base with a civilian rx and ask for it to be filled…or would I need to schedule an appointment with a military general practitioner who could then write me an rx for my meds? If anyone has any experiences with a similar situation or insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

callendm said:
Quick question that I hope someone can answer. I am a third year medical student (Army HPSP). I am doing an at school ADT Aug. 15h-Sept. 30th. Anyways, while on my ADT can I seek the benefits of Tri-Care Health Insurance. My problem is that I am taking one medication that is fairly expensive and exceeds the yearly maximum allotted by my school’s health plan (a measly $1,500). I was wondering if I can get this Rx filled through Tri-Care during my ADT. If this is feasible is there any way to front load my meds and stock up? Would I just go to a pharmacy say at the local Navy base with a civilian rx and ask for it to be filled…or would I need to schedule an appointment with a military general practitioner who could then write me an rx for my meds? If anyone has any experiences with a similar situation or insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I save up all my medication refill requests for my ADTs. I wrote out the scripts and had an intern with whom I was working sign them. Picked up the meds on formulary at the military pharmacy and dropped off the written scripts at Walgreens. No charge for those wonderful generics I picked up at the military pharmacy and somewhere between $3-$9 copay for the others. Tricare is such a beautiful thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Show up with Rx, ID and orders and you are good to go. Portsmouth or Sewell's Point should be able to fill most medications.

Does anyone know about if this works for dependents? Can my wife get new glasses or dental work done at a base while I'm on ADTs?

towellman said:
Does anyone know about if this works for dependents? Can my wife get new glasses or dental work done at a base while I'm on ADTs?

Yes and partly. Your dependents are covered for medical, but far less for dental, for active duty over 30 days. So, you can get lots of meds etc, but you can't show up for 30 days ADT to get your kids braces. I got almost 6 months of meds out of my ADT.

See the tricare website or go into one of their local offices if its nearby.

towellman said:

Your wife can see an optometrist and get a prescription for glasses, but the military will not give her the glasses. (they won't for dependants) Most stateside dental clinics do not see dependants.

callendm said:

How did you get in?

Yes I did. It took me a long time to formulate my responce

You of can join the military with a medical condition as long as it is IAW AR40-501 and or you acquire a waiver.