Tricky Situation in Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My summer schedule is like this..

1 month of free
1 month of summer class+research
1 mont of free.

I am very interested in an internship abroad(South Africa, India, China) to observe the health condition in a third world country.

So how can this work out?

1 month of south africa
1 mont of summer class+research
and then return to South africa to continue for internship?:confused:

Anyone had this experience?

should I?

1 mont of shadowing+volunteering
1 mont of summer class+reserach
1 mont of south africa?

what are you guys doing in summer? what's your schedule is like?

Members don't see this ad.

i only came to this thread to see if there was any funny stuff. tennisball, you disappoint me. i expected more from you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My summer schedule is like this..

1 month of south africa
1 mont of summer class+research
and then return to South africa to continue for internship?:confused:

?

I don't think this is realistic.

my advice is to just go to an inner city clinic and you'll have plenty of experience observing delivering care to the disadvantaged....I never understand why people want to got to Africa with so many problems in our own country. You could send 10% of your budget for the African trip to MSF or similar organization and that would actually help those people in underdeveloped nations.

I got numerous messages from those programs to learn about international health- I wouldn't recommend it while you are in undergrad- you can't really do anything and they charge a ton. If you want to do a missions trip or study abroad that is cool. I did a trip to Africa (some time in South Africa mostly in Mozambique) and it was awesome but I didn't learn about health culture I volunteered at an Orphanage during high school.

I think you should do the class/research if you need them and then consider volunteer work and relaxing (I worked through college so I worked about 30 hours a week during the summers)... Consider trying to get experiences with the medical needs in the US (homeless, free clinics, etc)... and if you really want to go abroad I suggest study abroad for credit or a missions trip that isn't a gimmick to get a pre-med to hand over a ton of $$$

Oh and you wanted to know about summer schedules- in undergrad I studied abroad during 2 maymesters then spent the rest of the summer working as a nanny, working a special needs summer camp, doing theater productions, and spending time with friends etc.

This summer (between MSI and MSII) I am doing a research project at Emory, working at the special needs camp, and just relaxing (baseball games, theater shows, museums, etc)

I suggest you start looking for top-hats to wear in an interview during that first month of the summer.

I suggest you start looking for top-hats to wear in an interview during that first month of the summer.

To be honest with you, if I get an interview from Harvard, I will wear a top hat and bring a cane to the interview.

To be honest with you, if I get an interview from Harvard, I will wear a top hat and bring a cane to the interview.

If I got an interview from harvard I would probably piss blood from excitement. It is what it is. I'll probably wear traditional middle eastern dress.

AO1195-001.jpg

south africa is not a third world country.

Thank you for posting a real thread and not making me want to do this:

+pissed+

As far as your situation goes, I guess you could do one month each of class/internship/volunteering. It's kind of a tossup unless you provide more info on the abroad program.

You're only doing 1 month of research? That's interesting.

Umm, I also don't know what type of internship you are doing, is it like a medical missions trip??

As far as what I am doing this summer, I plan on doing research for 13 weeks as part of a fellowship, I also am taking 12 credit hours, 8 are for the first 8 weeks, and 4 for the next 8 weeks of summer. I'll be shadowing doctors as well as continuing my volunteering. I will also be trying to find work as an EMT. I really would like to do something overseas, but don't have an opening in my schedule and monetarily I personally cannot afford to do anything of that nature.