Tricky, tricky RATE LAW Chemical Kinetics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc412

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the rate law for a reaction is second order as so:

rate=k[A]

What happens to the rate when the VOLUME of the system is DECREASED by 4 times? (at constant temperature)

I figured that the Pressure of the system would INCREASE by 4 times.

But what happens to the rate:
-Does the rate increase by 4 times?
-Or does it increase by 16 times?

I don't know the answer and was wondering if anyone else did.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the answer is there's no change in rate. There will be a shift in equilibrium concentrations depending on the # of moles of gas on each side of the balanced equation. But if temp is constant, then there shouldnt be a change in rate. Anyone else have an idea?

Edit: yeah, rate depends on conc of reactants, catalyst, surface area of reactant/catalyst, and temp. not volume.

yeah youre right, i forgot to think of it in terms of moles/liter. Ok so if you increase the conc of each reactant by 4 times, then r should increase by 16 (4x4). please disregard my earlier statement :p

Members don't see this ad :)
On wikipedia, it says that rate varies with pressure. And it says that an increase in pressure is like an increase in concentration.

that is why i figured the rate does change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate

Wiki isn't giving you the full story. Just to note:

As already noted in this thread, the change in rate is due the change in concentration of the gases (or whatever A and B are, we'll call them gases..)

However, this change is not directly connected to total pressure as Wiki would "suggest" though did not explicitly make clear.

My point is that it is a concentration change.....independent of pressure change. For example, I could flood the chamber with an inert gas such as Argon thereby increasing the total pressure; however, since the partial pressures of the reactants have NOT changed, there is no shift in the equilibrium and thereby no increase in the forward reaction rate.

The rate of the rxn depends on temp, catalyst, pH, medium. but the Rate Constant, K depends on the REACTANT.

If the rate law for a reaction is second order as so:

rate=k[A]

What happens to the rate when the VOLUME of the system is DECREASED by 4 times? (at constant temperature)

I figured that the Pressure of the system would INCREASE by 4 times.

But what happens to the rate:
-Does the rate increase by 4 times?
-Or does it increase by 16 times?

I don't know the answer and was wondering if anyone else did.