trig help!?? for those that have already taken the DAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msu08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've taken the dat before, and the QR section is my real weak point. when i took the exam, i didnt bother learning trig again cuz it didn't seem to come up that much on practice tests. i think there are more trig problems than i anticipate and i therefore get them wrong/skip them on the real exam. for those that have taken the dat, do you remember the kinds of trig problems that come up most frequently?? it's more of the problems where i feel like i should remember the unit circle, etc, that really stump me. Any advice as to the kinds of problems, free help sites, or how to prepare for that part? i figure i could get 3 or more right on the exam if i just knew how/what to study for the trig QR questions. Any advice is appreciated! thankss!!

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaha weak QR score... join the club.

while u cant talk specifics about the test... i would strongly advise on studying all the trig functions and know them cold. QR scores only get better with extensive practice under pressure not just looking at the formulas. ie. anyone can just know sin2x= 2sinxcosx. if ur particularly weak in math i would invest in a SAT/GRE math workbook. this will be a good indicator on ur quantitative reasoning ability.

hahahaha weak QR score... join the club.

while u cant talk specifics about the test... i would strongly advise on studying all the trig functions and know them cold. QR scores only get better with extensive practice under pressure not just looking at the formulas. ie. anyone can just know sin2x= 2sinxcosx. if ur particularly weak in math i would invest in a SAT/GRE math workbook. this will be a good indicator on ur quantitative reasoning ability.

Do we have to know the more complex trig functions that involve cos(uv) or things of that nature? Or do you thinking knowing the regular old sine square + cos square = 1 will be enough (along with the triangles of course)?

Do we have to know the more complex trig functions that involve cos(uv) or things of that nature? Or do you thinking knowing the regular old sine square + cos square = 1 will be enough (along with the triangles of course)?

yea keep it simple... i wouldnt go overboard... also is it really worth studying those tough useless formulas when there is a possibility it will make up 1 question. i would rather spend my time mastering how to do a rate problem or an investment type problem.