Trig or Calc physics from a CC for FL med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KRiv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide very soon on taking trig or calc physics. I will be taking it at a community college so I feel that if I take trig physics med schools will look down at me. I know that UF med school will not accept trig physics. I do not know about other med schools in Florida.

If you have any information on if any Florida medical schools suggest calc physics please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean UF wont accept trig physics? I am at St. petersburg College right now (just got accepted to USF) but will be taking trig or pre-calc this semester. I was trying to decided which would be better to take first. i'm pretty sure Trig is required for physics.

Calc physics is better unless you are terribly bad at calculus then there may be more to consider. If you are comfortable with your math skills take calc based physics. Calc physics is also better for the MCAT according to the exam krackers books.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean UF wont accept trig physics? I am at St. petersburg College right now (just got accepted to USF) but will be taking trig or pre-calc this semester. I was trying to decided which would be better to take first. i'm pretty sure Trig is required for physics.

A lot can change in THREE years...

I have to decide very soon on taking trig or calc physics. I will be taking it at a community college so I feel that if I take trig physics med schools will look down at me. I know that UF med school will not accept trig physics. I do not know about other med schools in Florida.

If you have any information on if any Florida medical schools suggest calc physics please let me know.

Double check that. I'm pretty sure UF will take trig-based physics as someone in my trig-based physics class got accepted to UF. Could it be school-specific?

ETA: Just realized this thread is three years old. Never mind :)

Last edited:
Calc physics is also better for the MCAT according to the exam krackers books.

There is no Calculus on the MCAT. The only reason Calc-based physics might help someone is if they don't know the equations and need to derive something. Plenty of people score extremely well on the MCAT taking only trig-based.

if you want to go to (USF, FSU, UCF, FIU, LECOM, Nova, and anything else I left out)

take Trig-based Physics at your CC. Just make sure you take the entire sequence(I & II) before transferring to a 4-year University.

if you want to go to UF's med school

you need Trig or Calculus based Physics... taken at UF, which my Calculus professor said takes the 2nd time around just to make an A at UF... so no thanks UF, there are plenty of other good medical schools in FL I can apply to.