Trilafon & HIspanic females?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had hispanic female patient, mid 30s with an extensive history of psychosis. She was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and during her stay on the hospital ward, she was highly disorganized, labile, and often screamed.

She had gone through almost every neuroleptic & atypical we had in our formulary and did not improve. Finally the weekend attending doctor put her on Trilafon, saying that this drug "works well on Hispanic females"

We did not know what prior meds seemed to work on her because she had recently moved from Puerto Rico and did not have any info on her previous admissions in Puerto Rico.

OK well seemed strange, I never heard of any studies about this, maybe this was anecdotal medicine she was practicing.

Well lo & behold hours after the Trilafon was given the patient did improve. IT was the quickest improvement I had seen given her condition, and that the other meds didn't seem to do a thing for this patient for 2 weeks.

Does anywhere here ever hear of this property with Trilafon? I put it into a google & pubmed search but found nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

WOW, very interesting. I would be interested to know if the response continues? Trilafon is a much more potent dopamine antagonist than any atypical, so I am wondering if other typicals were tried (chlorpromazine, haloperidol etc.)? There is a alot of new research into genetic-specific pharmacology responses using microarray technology...have you looked into this? Do the www.scholar.google.com search thing.

:)

Yes other neuroleptics were tried including haldol, & prolixin.

We avoided Thorazine & Clozaril due to the side effects.

I still haven't found any hard data to back up this Hispanic Women and Trilafon thing and unfortunately that doctor only does weekends once in a blue moon so it'll be a long time till I get a chance to ask her what her knowledge is on this.

There's a lot of this type of "handed down, " anecdotal knowledge and tricks of the trade garnered in psychiatry residency. I've heard the same thing with Trilafon and Hispanic females. Another is Risperdal in young black males. There are quite a few more.

Have fun discovering the rest of them!