Trimming final list of Schools 512/3.95

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Cheddar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for any suggestions for my final list of schools before submitting primary. Any help is appreciated!

My application:
MCAT: 512 (July 2016), 503 (July 2015)
cGPA 3.95, sGPA 3.96
WI resident, ORM (white), attended smaller WI liberal arts school
1000 hrs clinical experience (scribing at a large inner city hospital)
250 hrs biochemistry research, no pubs
~100 hrs community service between a variety of clubs
Involved in several ECs during college including NCAA athletics and two musical ensembles
Just started a year-long position with AmeriCorps working in public health in a rural setting
Also, I finished undergrad in 3 years if that's worth anything.

My school list looks like this right now, would like to get between 15 and 20 schools
UW
MCW
USC
UCSD
Loma Linda
Miami-Miller
Florida
Iowa
Rosy Franklin
Michigan
Oakland
Mayo
Minnesota
St. Louis
UNC
Wake Forest
Creighton
Dartmouth
Brown
Rochester
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Wright State
Penn State
VCU
Marshall
Several Texas schools including TCOM (I'm almost done with my TMDSAS application)

Are some out of my reach? Do I have too many reaches, need more safeties? Would some DOs be recommended?

Note: I'll be a reapplicant to UW and MCW after a blunderful application cycle last year. Advising at my school was horrible, so I thought I could get away with only applying to three schools. Got an II from UW, rejected post secondary from MCW, and was accepted at LECOM. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for declining the LECOM acceptance but I didn't get it until a month ago and had already made up my mind since I didn't like the school and retaken the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you fluent in Spanish? If not, get rid of UCSD and Miami.

Many of the out of state public schools will be difficult with your stats.

Brown has few open slots because of its BS/MD program.

Loma Linda requires that you follow its ethics code while enrolled there.

Just looking for any suggestions for my final list of schools before submitting primary. Any help is appreciated!

My application:
MCAT: 512 (July 2016), 503 (July 2015)
cGPA 3.95, sGPA 3.96
WI resident, ORM (white), attended smaller WI liberal arts school
1000 hrs clinical experience (scribing at a large inner city hospital)
250 hrs biochemistry research, no pubs
~100 hrs community service between a variety of clubs
Involved in several ECs during college including NCAA athletics and two musical ensembles
Just started a year-long position with AmeriCorps working in public health in a rural setting
Also, I finished undergrad in 3 years if that's worth anything.

My school list looks like this right now, would like to get between 15 and 20 schools
UW
MCW
USC
UCSD
Loma Linda
Miami-Miller
Florida
Iowa
Rosy Franklin
Michigan
Oakland
Mayo
Minnesota
St. Louis
UNC
Wake Forest
Creighton
Dartmouth
Brown
Rochester
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Wright State
Penn State
VCU
Marshall
Several Texas schools including TCOM (I'm almost done with my TMDSAS application)

Are some out of my reach? Do I have too many reaches, need more safeties? Would some DOs be recommended?

Note: I'll be a reapplicant to UW and MCW after a blunderful application cycle last year. Advising at my school was horrible, so I thought I could get away with only applying to three schools. Got an II from UW, rejected post secondary from MCW, and was accepted at LECOM. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for declining the LECOM acceptance but I didn't get it until a month ago and had already made up my mind since I didn't like the school and retaken the MCAT.

Do you have any connections to Texas? You know they're required to accept 90%+ in state applicants according to state law?

Instead of wasting your money on TMDSAS I'd apply to more private MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marshall, UNC, Minnesota, Florida and the Texas MD schools mainly accept their own residents so remove those. Consider adding these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Western Michigan

Thanks for the help! I wasn't sure how to gauge how much my stats should be above average for OOS public schools so I'll cut down on these schools. In general, I'll stick to private schools and lower tier publics without heavy in state bias. Are your recommendations based on viewing my MCAT as a 507 or 512, not that its a huge difference? I've read the threads on multiple MCATS but can't seem to find a list of each school's strategy. Also, WAMC with my in state schools given my reapplicant status there with the modest MCAT increase?

Last edited:
UNC has an unofficial OOS cut off at 3.6/33
Marshall unless you have ties to the state only looks at people from bordering states for OOS consideration
Stats are very unlikely to be competitive for Keck or Michigan. I'd probably remove UCSD Miami Rochester and Ohio St as well
Unless you went to Brown for UG I dont think it's a good choice for you. Unless you fit LL's mission really well likewise not a good choice
A solid proportion of U of Fl's few OOS spots go to their own undergrad
SLU and Cincinnati tend to average multiple scores from what I've been told(SLU isnt a terrible choice here though)
U of WI also tends to average multiple scores. MCW fortunately for you though reportedly superscores.

I personally would add several more OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around roughly 31 or so. I'd give priority to those that get <11k apps(ie Tulane, W MI etc)