General Admissions & OTCAS Trinity Washington University M.O.T?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMStudiezOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! This is very random but I was curious if anyone applied to or is currently attending Trinity Washington University for Master of Occupational Therapy? It's a brand new program, not fully accredited yet, but I just recently applied. It was a late application because I just discovered it, but I'm wondering if it not being fully accredited yet means I have a better chance of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! This is very random but I was curious if anyone applied to or is currently attending Trinity Washington University for Master of Occupational Therapy? It's a brand new program, not fully accredited yet, but I just recently applied. It was a late application because I just discovered it, but I'm wondering if it not being fully accredited yet means I have a better chance of acceptance?
Hey! I am applying right now to Trinity Washington also. I was wondering, how did you document your hours? Did you just list them on a word document type chart or did you have forms from each place that you shadowed? some of the places that I have been to don't have forms and Trinity doesn't have a form i can give them, should I make my own form for them to sign? would love to hear what you did! Thanks!

Hey! I am applying right now to Trinity Washington also. I was wondering, how did you document your hours? Did you just list them on a word document type chart or did you have forms from each place that you shadowed? some of the places that I have been to don't have forms and Trinity doesn't have a form i can give them, should I make my own form for them to sign? would love to hear what you did! Thanks!

I am working on my application too. I had each place/OT print out a short note on letterhead stating how many hours I completed. Then I made a real simple chart totalling the hours.
What did you do for the recommendation forms? They have it listed in what should be mailed to them but I can't find it anywhere on the site. Did you just send sealed envelopes? o_O

Members don't see this ad :)

So sorry I just saw this! I had my places print out something on official letter heads that stated my hours and had the OT sign it.

I am working on my application too. I had each place/OT print out a short note on letterhead stating how many hours I completed. Then I made a real simple chart totalling the hours.
What did you do for the recommendation forms? They have it listed in what should be mailed to them but I can't find it anywhere on the site. Did you just send sealed envelopes? o_O

I found the recommendation forms on the website by typing in "recommendation forms" into the search bar. It has a place to fill out what program you are applying to. HOWEVER when I have called before the admissions office doesn't really know because its so new. I think a lot of students are doing different things. I mailed my packet to them in a sealed manilla envelope. You need your letter of intent. 2 rec forms. documented hours.....and maybe 1 or 2 other items I believe but I don't remember :( It was a very confusing process and not many people were helpful about it.

Reactions: 1 user

So sorry I just saw this! I had my places print out something on official letter heads that stated my hours and had the OT sign it. The admissions office really didn't have any specific documents for me to fill out when I called them. It was a long process for me because I just kept thinking to myself "this can't be right!"

The school did tell me though that they should be sending out the acceptance/denial letters sometime mid March.

I found the recommendation forms on the website by typing in "recommendation forms" into the search bar. It has a place to fill out what program you are applying to. HOWEVER when I have called before the admissions office doesn't really know because its so new. I think a lot of students are doing different things. I mailed my packet to them in a sealed manilla envelope. You need your letter of intent. 2 rec forms. documented hours.....and maybe 1 or 2 other items I believe but I don't remember :( It was a very confusing process and not many people were helpful about it.

Thanks so much! I found the form and just finished my packet to send out to them but then I received an email today with the recommendation form and fieldwork form. The fieldwork form mentioned a fieldwork essay? Did you do that? At this point I am too scared I will miss the deadline if I don't mail it out right away! I was told that everything has to be in by March 1st or else you won't be considered for this cycle. How long was your original essay? It was supposed to be 500 words but I was a little over :writer:

thanks for replying guys! I thought i was the only one, i feel like the admissions people were very uninformed and it was a bit all over the place. With that being said, as long as you sent in the major stuff i feel like they will be pretty lax with the rest. Where else are you guys applying?

Thanks so much! I found the form and just finished my packet to send out to them but then I received an email today with the recommendation form and fieldwork form. The fieldwork form mentioned a fieldwork essay? Did you do that? At this point I am too scared I will miss the deadline if I don't mail it out right away! I was told that everything has to be in by March 1st or else you won't be considered for this cycle. How long was your original essay? It was supposed to be 500 words but I was a little over :writer:

I did not do a field work essay. crap. I'm hoping I don't get excluded soley for that because I have called so many times trying to get information just to be told something different the last week. I had to shorten my essay but I did maybe......570 words I think? I kept it under 600 I know that much.

thanks for replying guys! I thought i was the only one, i feel like the admissions people were very uninformed and it was a bit all over the place. With that being said, as long as you sent in the major stuff i feel like they will be pretty lax with the rest. Where else are you guys applying?

This was the only school I applied to for Fall 2016 because they accepted applications so late. If I don't get in I will be applying to Shenendoah, Trinity Washington again, Towson, and Misericordia University.

I did not do a field work essay. crap. I'm hoping I don't get excluded soley for that because I have called so many times trying to get information just to be told something different the last week. I had to shorten my essay but I did maybe......570 words I think? I kept it under 600 I know that much.

Don't worry from what I found it wasn't required. As long as you turned in your fieldwork hours (which you did) you're fine! :) They are pretty on top of things... I received a call every single day about what they had received and what they hadn't. If you were missing something they would have called you.

My essay was 630 but it was still just a page long so I hope they don't sit and count the words! There was no way for them to get a realistic image of me with only 500 words. One spot on their website called it a reflective essay and another spot referred to it as a personal statement. I assume since there are some discrepancies they must be transitioning so they'll hopefully be flexible with us. They should receive my packet by Monday (the deadline) so of there's something wrong with how I did things, I assume I will hear then.

Last edited:
Don't worry from what I found it wasn't required. As long as you turned in your fieldwork hours (which you did) you're fine! :) They are pretty on top of things... I received a call every single day about what they had received and what they hadn't. If you were missing something they would have called you.

My essay was 630 but it was still just a page long so I hope they don't sit and count the words! There was no way for them to get a realistic image of me with only 500 words. One spot on their website called it a reflective essay and another spot referred to it as a personal statement. I assume since there are some discrepancies they must be transitioning so they'll hopefully be flexible with us. They should receive my packet by Monday (the deadline) so of there's something wrong with how I did things, I assume I will hear then.

Hopefully everything made it there for you! Did they ever tell you how we would be receiving acceptance/declinations? Email or Mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully everything made it there for you! Did they ever tell you how we would be receiving acceptance/declinations? Email or Mail?

Well, UPS said it was delivered and signed for Monday morning but they say it still hasn't arrived o_O I sent it to the address they said?? How long did it take for yours to arrive?
I assume if we get accepted we will hear through a personal call since that's how they've communicated everything else. If rejected I assume a letter. I'll ask once they contact me that they received the packet. I'll keep you posted! Let me know if you hear anything on your end :)

Well, UPS said it was delivered and signed for Monday morning but they say it still hasn't arrived o_O I sent it to the address they said?? How long did it take for yours to arrive?
I assume if we get accepted we will hear through a personal call since that's how they've communicated everything else. If rejected I assume a letter. I'll ask once they contact me that they received the packet. I'll keep you posted! Let me know if you hear anything on your end :)

They told me 2.5 weeks after I mailed it that they received it and I live in Baltimore! I called every few days! I thought maybe mine just got mixed up or something with the nursing applications because those are rolling in there as well.

They told me 2.5 weeks after I mailed it that they received it and I live in Baltimore! I called every few days! I thought maybe mine just got mixed up or something with the nursing applications because those are rolling in there as well.

I checked again today and they still say they haven't received it and it's already days past the March 1st deadline :wow: Ugggg... in 2.5 weeks they'll have already sent out all the acceptances! :smack:

I checked again today and they still say they haven't received it and it's already days past the March 1st deadline :wow: Ugggg... in 2.5 weeks they'll have already sent out all the acceptances! :smack:

I'll bet you mine sat in the office with all the other applications for awhile. I know the nursing program was getting stuff in from applicants as well. Maybe you could tell them it was signed for and delivered on the deadline and ask them to look again???

I'll bet you mine sat in the office with all the other applications for awhile. I know the nursing program was getting stuff in from applicants as well. Maybe you could tell them it was signed for and delivered on the deadline and ask them to look again???

I did tell them that numerous times... Today I was on the phone as Derrick in admissions went through the mail and he said they still haven't received it. How could it take a week from their shipping/receiving department to admissions? I called the OT dept and they said they have not received any of the applications from admissions yet??? They send them in all at once and she said probably they will get them next week. So they have not reviewed any candidates yet... so weird. I am getting really nervous about how things are being run there... if there is so much disorganization/chaos will they pass the accreditation that's to be happening this year? :shrug:

I did tell them that numerous times... Today I was on the phone as Derrick in admissions went through the mail and he said they still haven't received it. How could it take a week from their shipping/receiving department to admissions? I called the OT dept and they said they have not received any of the applications from admissions yet??? They send them in all at once and she said probably they will get them next week. So they have not reviewed any candidates yet... so weird. I am getting really nervous about how things are being run there... if there is so much disorganization/chaos will they pass the accreditation that's to be happening this year? :shrug:

Oh Derrick was always so kind to me on the phone when I spoke with him. I am very worried about accreditation too, but I'm hoping its just the admission office not their program. they have an accredited OTA program so they must understand what is required on some level. And wow! How have they not been reviewing candidates all along? That will take so much time :(

Oh Derrick was always so kind to me on the phone when I spoke with him. I am very worried about accreditation too, but I'm hoping its just the admission office not their program. they have an accredited OTA program so they must understand what is required on some level. And wow! How have they not been reviewing candidates all along? That will take so much time :(

Yeah, I know :confused:

Just got a a call that my packet was received! 10 days after it was signed for and 7 days after the deadline. However, since it arrived before the March 1st deadline they said most likely it will still be considered... I hope so :unsure::nailbiting:

Just got a a call that my packet was received! 10 days after it was signed for and 7 days after the deadline. However, since it arrived before the March 1st deadline they said most likely it will still be considered... I hope so :unsure::nailbiting:

Fingers crossed! Any mention of when decisions will be going out? I'm guessing sometime late next week or early the following.

Fingers crossed! Any mention of when decisions will be going out? I'm guessing sometime late next week or early the following.

That would be great but I have no idea how they would pull that off considering they supposedly just started the review process :eyebrow: I think end of March would be the soonest? Let me know if you find out anything. I can't call Derrick or the department anymore since I harassed them almost every day this past week :laugh:

Has anybody checked with Trinity when they will start notifying about decisions?

Has anybody checked with Trinity when they will start notifying about decisions?

I haven't just because I do not want to bother them too much, especially if they just started reviewing them this week as you were informed. I am assuming probably more towards the end of the month. I signed up for the information session on the 17th so i'm hoping they announce it or someone asks then.

Last edited:
I haven't just because I do not want to bother them too much, especially if they just started reviewing them this week as you were informed. I am assuming probably more towards the end of the month. I signed up for the information session on the 17th so i'm hoping they announce it or someone asks then.

Yeah, I think you are right. I'm too far to attend but please keep us posted if you find out something then :)

Yeah, I think you are right. I'm too far to attend but please keep us posted if you find out something then :)

You can attend the online webinar on the 17th. Its at....12pm I think. Its on their website somewhere

just called the admissions office and they said we can expect to hear back in April. I just spoke with the woman who answered the phone, not Derrick or anyone, so she couldn't give me anything more specific than April. I can't attend the online info session because I am working but if there is any good info that you hear, it would be great if you could post it after!

just called the admissions office and they said we can expect to hear back in April. I just spoke with the woman who answered the phone, not Derrick or anyone, so she couldn't give me anything more specific than April. I can't attend the online info session because I am working but if there is any good info that you hear, it would be great if you could post it after!

I'm attending. any specific questions you want to ask? I'd be more than happy to make sure they get answered for you? I plan on already asking the following questions if they do not get answered during the session:

-what are the required days/hours for Level I field work? If we live farther away can we try to set up field work assignments closer to home or are you contracted with local facilities?

-How do you send out acceptance/declination letter?

-approximately how many applicants do you receive each year/how many spots in each class?

I'm attending. any specific questions you want to ask? I'd be more than happy to make sure they get answered for you? I plan on already asking the following questions if they do not get answered during the session:

-what are the required days/hours for Level I field work? If we live farther away can we try to set up field work assignments closer to home or are you contracted with local facilities?

-How do you send out acceptance/declination letter?

-approximately how many applicants do you receive each year/how many spots in each class?

Those questions are great. I'm sure they will answer this but maybe a little bit more about how the Distance learning takes place and what the days on campus are like. thanks again so much!

University: University of Maryland University College
Undergrad GPA: approx. 3.2
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5

Experience: 675 hours as a rehabilitation tech between two facilities, 6 years in the healthcare industry

Volunteer: 40 hours at A pediatric hospital in the therapeutic recreation department and still continuing.

references: current employer and an OT from the pediatric hospital

Last edited:
OT shadow/volunteer hours= 250+ in 4 settings (school, hand, pediatric clinic, nursing home)

My last 60 graduate GPA= 4.0

My overall Master's degree GPA= 4.0

My last 60 undergraduate GPA= 3.94

My overall undergraduate GPA= 3.4 (did horrible freshman and sophomore year)

Prerequisite GPA= 4.0

GRE: 159 Verbal, 150 Quantitative, 4 Writing

AmeriCorps volunteer 2 years in impoverished migrant farmworker community.

Work experience: Social Worker, Teacher, Residential Counselor for disabled adults.

International volunteer experiences in India, China, Brazil, Egypt... mostly working with orphanages, street children, and the poor.

Really good recommendations from OT, professor, employer (they each sent me a copy)

Thanks so much guys!

Undergrad GPA- 3.3

Prereq - 4.0 (still have two more to take)

Volunteer/shadow- 50 hours in 6 different locations and 600+ hours as a rehab aide in school/ and adult day program

Ok guys so I was on the call and found out quite a bit of information. They only gave us half an hour so not all the questions were able to be asked but here is what I got. Millywindsor I got some useful information about the class setup for you too.

LI fieldwork is a required 30 hours for each placement.
LII field work is the standard 2-12 week internships. They are contracted with several facilities in the DC area, but for commuters there is flexibility with finding our own field work placements with approval from the program coordinator. They said because it is a hybrid program and many students commute, there have been several who found their own placements successfully.

There are 24 seats available in the program, but to me it sounded like they could accept a couple more if they chose too. I believe other programs do this as well.

Classes meet Friday and Saturday, 8 times per semester, from 8am-12pm. have a 1 hour break. then meet again from 1pm-5pm. The dates of classes will be given in the welcome packet upon admission to the program. the classroom meetings will be a mixture of lectures and labs, then we will have online assignments due as well since its hybrid format. A lot of this will have to be done on our own time.

They still have some incomplete packets with paperwork coming through for students. They said they are still being accepted, but priority is given to those students who had their packets completed by the March 1st deadline. They said the welcome packets will be sent out the end of April, but did not specify if this was after initial acceptance/declinations are sent out. Derrick made a comment about the April 2nd information seminar that is being held at the campus and said "you all should really attend to meet the Dean and Dr. Evans to make your application appear more personable, especially if you have received your good news." So, not sure if that means decisions will go out by then and following that a welcome package will go out, or if it all comes out together. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Ok guys so I was on the call and found out quite a bit of information. They only gave us half an hour so not all the questions were able to be asked but here is what I got. Millywindsor I got some useful information about the class setup for you too.

LII field work is the standard 2-12 week internships. They are contracted with several facilities in the DC area, but for commuters there is flexibility with finding our own field work placements with approval from the program coordinator. They said because it is a hybrid program and many students commute, there have been several who found their own placements successfully.

There are 24 seats available in the program, but to me it sounded like they could accept a couple more if they chose too. I believe other programs do this as well.

Classes meet Friday and Saturday, 8 times per semester, from 8am-12pm. have a 1 hour break. then meet again from 1pm-5pm. The dates of classes will be given in the welcome packet upon admission to the program. the classroom meetings will be a mixture of lectures and labs, then we will have online assignments due as well since its hybrid format. A lot of this will have to be done on our own time.

They still have some incomplete packets with paperwork coming through for students. They said they are still being accepted, but priority is given to those students who had their packets completed by the March 1st deadline. They said the welcome packets will be sent out the end of April, but did not specify if this was after initial acceptance/declinations are sent out. Derrick made a comment about the April 2nd information seminar that is being held at the campus and said "you all should really attend to meet the Dean and Dr. Evans to make your application appear more personable, especially if you have received your good news." So, not sure if that means decisions will go out by then and following that a welcome package will go out, or if it all comes out together. Best of luck everyone!
Thanks so much for all of this info!!! Very helpful!!!! Good luck!

I guess I'll come out of the wood works now :)
Hey @DMStudiezOT thanks for the info. I applied to this school as well early feb and also had to deal with their delay of receiving and processing my materials. definitely made it before the 3/1 deadline even though I was told it was a"rolling admissions" situation. Anyways...

I was wondering if you were also able to find out how many applicants they got this year? And do you know if they will notify us by phone, mail, or email? Thanks for any extra info and good luck to everyone on here!

I guess I'll come out of the wood works now :)
Hey @DMStudiezOT thanks for the info. I applied to this school as well early feb and also had to deal with their delay of receiving and processing my materials. definitely made it before the 3/1 deadline even though I was told it was a"rolling admissions" situation. Anyways...

I was wondering if you were also able to find out how many applicants they got this year? And do you know if they will notify us by phone, mail, or email? Thanks for any extra info and good luck to everyone on here!

Unfortunately, I was not able to ask that question. I do know that they will be mailing their decisions (according to the admissions office) but they have mislead me before. I did hear that they were finalizing decisions so we should hear something in the next two week :) Are you going to their information session next Saturday the 2nd? If I haven't received a decision by then I'm going to ask how many applications they receive.

Unfortunately, I was not able to ask that question. I do know that they will be mailing their decisions (according to the admissions office) but they have mislead me before. I did hear that they were finalizing decisions so we should hear something in the next two week :) Are you going to their information session next Saturday the 2nd? If I haven't received a decision by then I'm going to ask how many applications they receive.

Yeah I hear ya on the inconsistent info. I just chalk it up to the fact that its a brand new program. I wanted to attend the virtual meeting but I had a doc's appt. I live in California and will not be able to swing that info session on the 2nd. I also have other plans I cannot get out of even if I did want to fly myself out there ;). But yeah if we haven't heard anything by that weekend that'd be great to know how many applicants they got!

Yeah I hear ya on the inconsistent info. I just chalk it up to the fact that its a brand new program. I wanted to attend the virtual meeting but I had a doc's appt. I live in California and will not be able to swing that info session on the 2nd. I also have other plans I cannot get out of even if I did want to fly myself out there ;). But yeah if we haven't heard anything by that weekend that'd be great to know how many applicants they got!

I agree that I think its due to the brand new program. The mix ups I usually get are due to the fact they also have an OTA program that enrolls at the same time, but has different deadlines and things. I'm sure as the years progress and they hire someone to actually handle all of the M.O.T/MSN stuff they will be a lot better. Anyhoo I am definitely going on the 2nd so if you have any other questions besides the # of applicants just message me and I"ll try to get them answered!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I received my acceptance email and phone call from Derrick yesterday.:biglove:

Hi guys! I received my acceptance email and phone call from Derrick yesterday.:biglove:

Congrats!!! Thank you so much for informing us. I haven't heard anything I have been waiting for mail because that's what the admissions office told me! Maybe they mailed me a declination :/

Holy crap! congrats! Still nothing for me yet... i hope to hear back quick even if it is a decline. no idea what to expect... waiting game sucks

Hey @Ohtea, if you don't mind me asking, is it likely you will attend this program or are you considering other top choice schools? Just curious since your stats are pretty competitive especially for this new program. No surprise you heard first! Thanks

Hey @DMZStudiezOT thanks for going to the meeting tomorrow and asking about the number of applicants. Could you also ask if they're still reviewing a bunch of applications? And if they're doing a wait list? Don't know if you heard any "good news" yet from Derrick. Thanks again for volunteering to find out! Winner how many people they have accepted so far...

Hey @DMZStudiezOT thanks for going to the meeting tomorrow and asking about the number of applicants. Could you also ask if they're still reviewing a bunch of applications? And if they're doing a wait list? Don't know if you heard any "good news" yet from Derrick. Thanks again for volunteering to find out! Winner how many people they have accepted so far...

Hey I will certainly so my best to find out! I haven't heard any news of any kind. My hopes are that I will find out tomorrow since I am attending the event, but I will be sure to ask those questions before I leave.

Hi so we didn't get to ask any of those types of questions because we were mixed in with nursing students. From what I gathered, those who were accepted were already informed. A lot of people kept asking Derrick for updates and he didn't have many answers so I would call him. I heard him tell a few people that since their prereqs were not completed yet they were not considered. They should send in their final transcripts when they are done and if there is an open spot they will look at their application. This makes me very upset because that was never stated; a lot of institutions offer contingency positions especially when not everyone has graduated yet upon application.

I would call him and ask him directly what the decision was and what you need to do, if there is anything. Sorry for not getting any information :/

Ah thanks a bunch @DMStudiezOT for finding out. I guess not the news we were hoping for. We're you able to get a chance to meet the OT directer per Derrick's suggestion to "make your application standout"? I'll definitely call him today because he at least promised an "ASAP decision". I'll keep ya posted.

All I got is that wait list letters are being mailed out this week and that 10 people are on the wait list. Something to look out for!

Who else actually got in? Good luck everyone!