Triple Majoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well i was trying to work out my schedule for next semester, and i realized that i could possibly triple major. For sure i am an international studies major. i have been leaning heavily to majoring in chemistry (just the BA, i know its watered down degree for science), now i could also get a BS in biology with 3 extra classes, which would mean i would only need to overload (20 credits, 5 classes at my school) 1 semester. I mean i know its a very long shot, but im just wondering what you guys think? With all the premed classes (and recommended classes) i figured i might as well take a few extra classes and get a bachelors out of it. I mean $37,000, i better get as much out of this damn school as possible, and 3 degrees aint a bad idea. Do you think med schools would think im crazy, or unique, or is not uncommon? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

unique AND crazy.
but hey, 3 more classes... not bad.
i think it carries a bit of a stigma than anything else. in other words, if i were an adcom, it would give me a bad impression at first, and i would be looking to make sure you really are well rounded and not a bookworm. if you are well rounded, then maybe i could see it as a plus...

A girl who went to my school last year got in really early with 3 majors - she just really enjoyed all three subjects. If you can do it, go for it! But be careful, 3 theses have got to be a b****.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an advisor for Stanford's Human Biology program for two years. Many students wanted to double and sometime triple major. I think a double is great if you can do it and enjoy both areas. A triple major may give the impression that you really don't know what you want to do it and let's face it... in four years, there is no way you can develop in depth knowledge about three different disciplines.

Instead, I would either 1) take more classes in one of your other majors that goes beyond the min. requirements and maybe even sub-specialize in an area (for example, I focused on emerging infectious diseases), 2) do an independant study where you produce an original contribution to advance knowledge (medical schools love this... especially if it is your work and not just you following someone else's protocol... this can be lab or library work too) 3) Take a few classes in areas that somehow relate to what you have already studied (a medical/biotech ethics class) or 4) pursue an outside activity that you won't get a chance to do once you start medical school or volunteer.

Many medical schools say they want students that are both well-rounded and have developed in depth knowledge in a particular subject (medically related or not). You will learn so much more by forgetting those extra classes and pursuing your own project (maybe like a directed reading or research). In four years, no one will care that you tripled majored and I seriously doubt it will make your application all that much better. Hope that helps.

hey pbehzad,

i dunno, but i say go for the triple major. majoring in chemistry, physics, and religion has, IMHO, really helped me to really dig deeper into my sciences, while at the same time allowing me to take a much closer look at an area i may have initally overlooked.... religion. while it is true that i have to work harder to appear not so bookwormish, i feel that i'm learning a great deal more. i was in a position closer to your's.... it was either 3 more classes for a religion major or 2 more classes for a math minor. in the end, i think the third major will help you out.

Sock

Originally posted by pbehzad
i have been leaning heavily to majoring in chemistry (just the BA, i know its watered down degree for science), .

Hey, don't diss the AB degree. Some schools only offer AB degrees to majors in Chemistry, Physics, Math, Biochemistry, Biology, etc.

For example, all the ivy leagues award ABs for those majors. The difference between AB and SB really depends on the school

Originally posted by group_theory
Hey, don't diss the AB degree. Some schools only offer AB degrees to majors in Chemistry, Physics, Math, Biochemistry, Biology, etc.

For example, all the ivy leagues award ABs for those majors. The difference between AB and SB really depends on the school

BAs for sciences are usually weak compared to the BS, if both are available. Around here, you don't have to do the senior research, and the requirements are generally less stringent (fewer classes, fewer labs, etc.).

i have a BA in Chemistry from a liberal arts school. everyone got BA's. there was no BS degree. i wouldn't say it is a weak degree (maybe if the school offers both it is -- i don't know). we had to do a year long senior thesis. 1 semester to 1 year of research and 1 semester of writing. it certainly was not a walk in the park, and if i had to do it again i'd pick a different major.

hey im not tryin to hate on a BA, just the BS at my school is ridiculously more demanding than the BA. Im still debating on this, the only reason i actually would major in bio and chem, is cause i was planning on taking some extra bio classes/chem classes anyways for mcats. So i figure take a couple extra classes here and there, and this could be a feasible idea. i need to be advised.:D

Just make sure it's a triple degree and not a triple major. At my school there is a difference--u can graduate with a single BS and have three seperate majors, but can get a triple degree if you fulfilled the extra coursework specificied (some extra liberal arts type stuff or otherwise that you aren't claiming for your other degree). Is that sound right to anybody else?

If you really love the stuff then do the triple. It's all about being your own person.

That will come through during interviews no matter which direction you go.

best of luck

Originally posted by eschauberger
Just make sure it's a triple degree and not a triple major. At my school there is a difference--u can graduate with a single BS and have three seperate majors, but can get a triple degree if you fulfilled the extra coursework specificied (some extra liberal arts type stuff or otherwise that you aren't claiming for your other degree). Is that sound right to anybody else?

Yeah, you only get one degree here. If you double major, you can get a BS in Biology and in History. Or you could get a BA in History and in Biology. (note that the word "in" is key, because otherwise it would mean a combined major like EE and CS).

Although I think the whole thing is in Latin. So it has the equivalent of whatever I said above. :)

I'm with whoever said to do some in-depth research in an area that interestes you with a professor who you like. Work extra-hard on a thesis. I don't think spreading yourself out to take 3 extra bio classes will necessarily confer you any advantage over anyone else. But, if what you REALLY want to do is take the classes, then by all means, take the classes. It just seems to me that in terms of "getting your money's worth" out of another year at college getting published in a paper is worth more than 3 extra 200 (or whatever) level classes.

Also, will your school really let you do this? Mine didn't even let you double-minor. Let alone a triple major. I think they would have put us on suicide watch if we suggested it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll do what's best for you.

http://www.amherst.edu/~sageorge/guide1.html#double major

If double-major does not help, I don't think that triple major will help either.

You should spend more time having fun in your senior year. Once you enter med school, everything is back to zero. Your residency director will not be impressed by your triple major in undergrad; instead he or she will look if you get honors in your medicine or surgery rotations. As simple as that. You gotta look far to see if triple major will make any impact on your future.

Originally posted by Random Access
BAs for sciences are usually weak compared to the BS, if both are available. Around here, you don't have to do the senior research, and the requirements are generally less stringent (fewer classes, fewer labs, etc.).

Weak :eek: ????? I've got a BA in Chemistry AND an MS in Chemistry and had NO PROBLEM transitioning between the two!

Got a degree in Religion too. Yeah Religion majors!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by Thewonderer

You should spend more time having fun in your senior year.

I agree!! Take some classes you enjoy, go out with friends, find a fun project/activity. I really don't see why anyone would want to triple major. It limits you in the classes you can take and really is not all that impressive. Not to be mean, but I would think someone was a tad strange having a triple major -- like they didn't have anything else to do with their lives.

See... i dunno.. i totally have time to go out and have fun, play sports, work, TA, and participate in student government. true.. i think some people might tend to label a triple major as a geek w/ nothing better to do with their time, but as r most stereotypes... it's just wrong (for the most part). i think that anyone who would consider triple majoring really does enjoy the classes they r taking... so it's not like it's a great burden or anything like that. additionally, i don't think that most people triple major just to get into med school. for the most part, triple majors just want to 1. get their money's worth outta school or 2. dig deeper into a specific area. on the whole, 2 out of the 3 majors usually connect in some way (chem/bio, chem/phys, CS/phys, etc.) so it's, in my opinion, a lil' bit easier than if the majors were all over the place (e.g. theater arts, mathematics, and political science). i dunno.. just my 2 cents..

anyway... i second pathdr2b's yeah for religion majors!!!
:clap: :clap:

Sock

This is what my advisor told me. If you're definitely planning on going into medicine, you don't really need a BS. Getting a BS in a science degree is more secure if you decide to opt out of medicine and decide to go more for postgrad studies or immediate employment. Having a BA in the sciences gives you plenty of background for medical courses.

I triple-majored in Biology, Psychology and Classics. And while it was tough to fulfill all the credit requirements, I wouldn't have done it any other way, as all were very interesting to me. If you find three things that are equally interesting to you and you'd like to have degrees in them just cuz, go for it!

By the way...as a triple-major, I was also a core rower for my crew, a very time-consuming sport. I also served as various editors for my university papers, did a junior year abroad, served on various committees, tutored, did research, and was on state boards for various classics associations. And I don't consider myself an over-achiever, I just did things that I enjoyed.

So, it's quite possible to have a life and be a triple-major as well.

one more thing...

how on earth do you guys triple major anyway? at my undergrad i don't think that would leave room for any more classes. in fact, i'm not even sure if it's possible -- especially if you had to also take premed requirements. i don't know of a single person with a triple major.

ok, i looked this up for my school:

need 34 units to graduate
biology: 14 units
chemistry: 15 or 16 units
biochemistry: 17 or 18 units
international studies: 15 units
most humanities: 11 or 12 units

it is almost impossible to be a triple major!