Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So, my school has an international health track that I want to participate in. One of the requirements for the track is that we do a "scholarly" project abroad.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten permission to do something like this while on the HPSP. How does one go about getting permission? Through the AFIT HPSP program director?

If it makes a difference, I would probably want to go to Africa since I speak French and am familiar with the culture from my Peace Corps work. I'll also still finish my degree in 4 years. It's not like a research year or anything.

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So, my school has an international health track that I want to participate in. One of the requirements for the track is that we do a "scholarly" project abroad.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten permission to do something like this while on the HPSP. How does one go about getting permission? Through the AFIT HPSP program director?

If it makes a difference, I would probably want to go to Africa since I speak French and am familiar with the culture from my Peace Corps work. I'll also still finish my degree in 4 years. It's not like a research year or anything.

As long as it is considered a part of your 4 years of school and as long as you are not on one of your 45 day ATs, you don't need permission to do it.
As a member of the IRR, you are not directly responsible to the military for travel and classes. The programs merely want you to graduate on time. What they won't do, is pay for you to go AT overseas. There are a number of legal issues associated with travel overseas while on AT. If you die or get kidnapped, the Washington Post and Congress would be asking a bunch of questions.

I recommend informing AFIT about your plans and doing the appropriate security brief (they are online). The rest.....enjoy.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As long as it is considered a part of your 4 years of school and as long as you are not on one of your 45 day ATs, you don't need permission to do it.
As a member of the IRR, you are not directly responsible to the military for travel and classes. The programs merely want you to graduate on time. What they won't do, is pay for you to go AT overseas. There are a number of legal issues associated with travel overseas while on AT. If you die or get kidnapped, the Washington Post and Congress would be asking a bunch of questions.

I recommend informing AFIT about your plans and doing the appropriate security brief (they are online). The rest.....enjoy.

Thanks for the response.

I have a good deal of elective time at my school since we have 2.5 clinical years instead of 2. I could definitely work it out to where I wouldn't be on AT.

About the Ads

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
What if you caught a chronic infectious disease like malaria? You might get released from HPSP and asked to pay back all your expenses.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What if you caught a chronic infectious disease like malaria? You might get released from HPSP and asked to pay back all your expenses.

i did public health work in Cameroon and the major chronic, untreatable disease there was HIV/AIDS.

as an American going to a malaria endemic region, i'd be on prophylaxis. malaria only becomes chronic if a. you don't get properly treated after an acute infection and b. you don't continue taking prophylaxis and primaquine for 2(?) weeks after your return from the endemic region. according to the WHO, there is no reported resistance to the ACTs.

i've actually had falciparum malaria and amebic dysentery already. the vast majority of infectious diseases in Cameroon, malaria included, are readily treatable with cheap, widely available drugs. i don't think that i would be at a much more significant risk by doing clinical work over there than i already will be at the county hospital associated with my school.

Last edited:

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Are you kidding me? That would really keep you from going abroad? You probably soak your scrubs in permethrin too.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
Sorry I'm just picturing the original poster sitting in a seat with a bandage on her head. At the same time, there is an angry person with a clipboard lecturing her about lack of discipline and accountability and then accusing her of "unauthorized volunteerism".

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.