Trojan Pride- USC class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gintien said:

haha, me too...i want to go to keck so much, lol :love:

Members don't see this ad.

dara678 said:
Actually, the medical Spanish program just got instituted this year as an elective. :) So you guys are in luck ... next year it will be even smoother than it is run now. There are three classes: I, II, and III, so you can choose which level you are comfortable at learning. It will be much needed at County ...

Thanks for the info Dara. My student interviewer told me that 80% of the patients at County did not speak English. I would feel awful if I couldn't communicate with my patients. It's good that USC has taken steps to remedy the situation. :)

CanuckRazorback said:
Well, since I can't drink I'll volunteer to be a DD!

Mine name is Jeffy, and you're rolling with me that night! :thumbup: Anyone else want in on what will definitely be the USC 2nd Look Party Bus??

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeffy said:
Mine name is Jeffy, and you're rolling with me that night! :thumbup: Anyone else want in on what will definitely be the USC 2nd Look Party Bus??

I better rent a 15-passenger van :laugh: If I get in that is... :oops:

whats up everyone!

so i've been looking for this thread ever since i got my acceptance 3 weeks ago........ finally found it!

i am really excited everyone seems really cool. i was waitlisted at usc last year...... it feels great that this 20 month process is finally over.

hey canuckrazorback!! i'm canadian too!!!! from sudbury (near toronto sort of) i really hope you get in!

about mahself ---- i'm 23, i've spent this year working with the ER dept at USC doing research , btw county hospital is like no other place you'll ever see in this country i swear, completely overwhelming but in my opinion the number 1 reason to go to USC, everyone says that you'll see and learn more here than just about any other medical school because of the patient population here at county. oh yeah and the faculty here is great! everyone has a really great attitude.... i think it's that whole trojan pride thing. as a former bruin, it was a tough thing to bear at first, but at this point i'm totally pumped to be a trojan (i know, the ultimate betrayal!!)

alright back to work -- more later.......

p.s. i live downtown right now and it's horrible.... trust me. i'm thinking south pasadena, and yeah, looking for a roommate too...(female)

What's up Supadupadoc! Sudbury is cold and I bet you don't miss it :laugh: I'm from Montreal. Thanks for telling us that living downtown sucks. That's where I've been looking for places to live :eek:

Congrats on your acceptance and I hope I get to join you next year!

supadupadoc said:
whats up everyone!

so i've been looking for this thread ever since i got my acceptance 3 weeks ago........ finally found it!

i am really excited everyone seems really cool. i was waitlisted at usc last year...... it feels great that this 20 month process is finally over.

hey canuckrazorback!! i'm canadian too!!!! from sudbury (near toronto sort of) i really hope you get in!

about mahself ---- i'm 23, i've spent this year working with the ER dept at USC doing research , btw county hospital is like no other place you'll ever see in this country i swear, completely overwhelming but in my opinion the number 1 reason to go to USC, everyone says that you'll see and learn more here than just about any other medical school because of the patient population here at county. oh yeah and the faculty here is great! everyone has a really great attitude.... i think it's that whole trojan pride thing. as a former bruin, it was a tough thing to bear at first, but at this point i'm totally pumped to be a trojan (i know, the ultimate betrayal!!)

p.s. i live downtown right now and it's horrible.... trust me. i'm thinking south pasadena, and yeah, looking for a roommate too...(female)

supadupadoc said:

What sucks about downtown by the way? I was considering it at first but now your opinion is weighing in...

I have a question for the people accepted to Keck...it seems as if most of the people (except a few stellar applicants like uclastudent) accepted seem to be nontraditional (have taken 1+ years off). Does USC accept more nontraditional students (or am I wrong)? What is the average age of last years entering class? I'm kinda worried since I interview in January and still have not heard but wanna go to Keck badly. Sorry for raining on your parade in this thread.

lakersfan said:
I have a question for the people accepted to Keck...it seems as if most of the people (except a few stellar applicants like uclastudent) accepted seem to be nontraditional (have taken 1+ years off). Does USC accept more nontraditional students (or am I wrong)? What is the average age of last years entering class? I'm kinda worried since I interview in January and still have not heard but wanna go to Keck badly. Sorry for raining on your parade in this thread.

Lakersfan, I am definitely what you would consider a traditional applicant, as I took the MCATs last april, put in some undergrad research, volunteered, etc..etc..and am finishing up my degree this year. I don't think it matters too much to Keck whether or not you are traditional. Also, If you really want to go to Keck, send them a letter of interest or intent and keep updating your file.

lakersfan said:

I think the average age of matriculants at Keck is 24 (according to MSAR). I know a lot of people that interviewed with me had taken some time off or had other careers. The curriculum emphasizes independent learning and my student interviewer flat out told me that if I was looking for a med school that held your hand for 4 years, Keck wasn't the place for me. So I guess it would make sense that the student body is somewhat older. However, I am sure there are plenty of traditional students that get accepted every year.

supadupadoc said:
whats up everyone!

hey supadupa-
lol, love your screen name. We will definately meet at the 2nd look weekend--I too am looking for a roommate. I have no idea what parts of LA are better to live in than others, although I wanted to drive around and take a look at them. I've only been to LA 4 times in my life.

Well, I'll talk to you all later... I have to go get paid.
ll,
Michelle

Out of curiousity, do any of you know how well USC matches? How do the graduates match in the more competitive residencies? I'm super excited at the possibility of becoming a Trojan, but before we all make the decision, I was just wondering if anyone knew more than I do. You would think that with training at County Hospital, we would be just as prepared as anyone across the country. What are your thoughts?

locks said:
Out of curiousity, do any of you know how well USC matches? How do the graduates match in the more competitive residencies? I'm super excited at the possibility of becoming a Trojan, but before we all make the decision, I was just wondering if anyone knew more than I do. You would think that with training at County Hospital, we would be just as prepared as anyone across the country. What are your thoughts?

I haven't got into USC yet but if you check last years thread, the match list is pretty impressive (Jalby posted it).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
Good luck to everyone who got accepted. I am an MD/PhD applicant, but i really liked the school and would be the happiest person in the world if get accepted. I intervied 2/28, so i guess i still have lots of time to wait, at least 4 weeks, and i'm hoping for the best?Has anyone applied for the Md/PhD program and do you guys know how many people they accept initially, since the max at USC is 6pple.
Thanks and hope to see you guys in Cali(that is if i get accepted:)
Nadia

Congrats to everyone who got in! the class of 2009 looks like it will be an awesome group of people!
I was wondering, does USC offer a second look, and when is it? I sent in my acceptance form a couple of weeks ago and have heard nothing from the school (... um, I don't think my check bounced :( ).

As for places to live: I stayed with a student in Alhambra. It's a cute town, somewhat more affordable, ideal for people who want to escape the 'white coat' apartment complexes. I think it took us 10 - 15 minutes and we arrived on time for 8am classes.

Has anyone who has been accepted already interviewed with Dr Quinn? Just curious. Someone brought up interviewing with the dean at UCSD on another thread so I thought I'd inquire about USC.

TexasSnow said:
Congrats to everyone who got in! the class of 2009 looks like it will be an awesome group of people!
I was wondering, does USC offer a second look, and when is it? I sent in my acceptance form a couple of weeks ago and have heard nothing from the school (... um, I don't think my check bounced :( ).

As for places to live: I stayed with a student in Alhambra. It's a cute town, somewhat more affordable, ideal for people who want to escape the 'white coat' apartment complexes. I think it took us 10 - 15 minutes and we arrived on time for 8am classes.

Hey TxS- Read my first post... 2nd look is April 29th. See you there!
(I too stayed with a girl in Alhambra, she really like it and their apt was right off the main street).

does anybody know when the fafsa deadline is for USC?

tx.

At my interview, a lady from Financial Aid said that I should submit my fafsa by the end of february. I'm sure if you haven't done it yet, later will be okay. I would just call the office.

I'd love to get to know some of my future classmates before school begins. So, if anyone is interested shoot me a p.m. with your AIM screen name or facebook profile. :)

I just want to bring this thread back cuz we're all going to be Trojans!! I only wish that the volleyball court in the middle of the campus was turned into a basketball court!

hey guys,

just wondering. have u guys been getting stuff from sc? like email or snail mail updates or anything? I just thought it's curious that i haven't gotten any updates, info, forms we have to fill out etc, after the big packet. haha i've just been nurturing my interest in usc by visiting their website repeatedly and rereading all their info over and over.

beebs said:
hey guys,

just wondering. have u guys been getting stuff from sc? like email or snail mail updates or anything? I just thought it's curious that i haven't gotten any updates, info, forms we have to fill out etc, after the big packet. haha i've just been nurturing my interest in usc by visiting their website repeatedly and rereading all their info over and over.

I've done that once or twice myself. I agree though, it'd put me at ease to know what's going on and make sure I'm keeping up with whatever i need to be doing, or if there is anything I need to be doing at all. :confused:

I haven't gotten anything yet. I think they are waiting. They say they will send things. If you have questions, I'd call.

Sorry for invading the thread again but I gotta ask since USC is my number one choice and this is the only thread I really care about at the moment...

Do any of you know how full the class is? (I think class size is 165 and last year they interviewed 550 people...the interview invite saying they aim to interview around 500). Also, for anyone who is already a student at Keck MS1+, is it true that USC sends out a lof of acceptances in March? Thanks in advance.

lakersfan said:
Sorry for invading the thread again but I gotta ask since USC is my number one choice and this is the only thread I really care about at the moment...

Do any of you know how full the class is? (I think class size is 165 and last year they interviewed 550 people...the interview invite saying they aim to interview around 500). Also, for anyone who is already a student at Keck MS1+, is it true that USC sends out a lof of acceptances in March? Thanks in advance.
ditto to everything you said....I am wondering the same things. I interview there in March and wonder how many spots are remaining. Obviously, there will be some movement, but how full is the class? sc is my first choice and every time there's a new post here, I get excited to read it. Hope to join you'all!

mccordeiro said:
ditto to everything you said....I am wondering the same things. I interview there in March and wonder how many spots are remaining. Obviously, there will be some movement, but how full is the class? sc is my first choice and every time there's a new post here, I get excited to read it. Hope to join you'all!

I've always heard that USC is slow, so just keep sending them updates if you have any. Good Luck!! USC is definitely the place to be!

Just got in today! So stoked. See all you future Trojans soon! Interviewed
1/25.

grahammied said:
1/25.

Congrats, that's awesome!

grahammied said:
1/25.

Congratulations, grahammied!! I would be thrilled too!

I interviewed the same week and am still waiting anxiously! How did you find out (snail mail or email?) and what part of the country are you? (trying to believe that it's on the way... :)) Thanks.

noodley said:
Congratulations, grahammied!! I would be thrilled too!

I interviewed the same week and am still waiting anxiously! How did you find out (snail mail or email?) and what part of the country are you? (trying to believe that it's on the way... :)) Thanks.

hey
snail mail. i am in NYC. postmark was feb. 24th.

Hey fellow-future trojans, I've got a question. Does anyone know if USC offers clinical rotations or other classes in alternative/integrated medicine? I couldn't find a list of available electives online, and I'm really curious. See everyone at second look!

Floseph said:
Hey fellow-future trojans, I've got a question. Does anyone know if USC offers clinical rotations or other classes in alternative/integrated medicine? I couldn't find a list of available electives online, and I'm really curious. See everyone at second look!

Floseph, I am really interested in alternative medicine too! I haven't come across anything in that area... but they do have this institute for preventative medicine, which is also very interesting. They have this big website about it, but when I went... nobody seemed to have heard of it.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/research/institutes/ihpdpr.html

But LA is such a diverse place with a huge Asian population and lots of health-nuts... I think there would be plenty of people in the area practicing alternative medicine or researching it.

I got my acceptance today!! Weird that it was postmarked 1/25. Ay... who can understand these admissions offices. Well, I loved USC when I interviewed... I'm still waiting on other schools, but I am so excited!! This is my only California school, and that all by itself carries a ton of weight.

The one thing I didn't like about the school was when I sat in on a lecture. It felt like freshman year of college again.... people were talking... reading the newspaper... it wasn't everybody, but I felt like some people just weren't that into it. I do really like that they split into small groups of 24 and 6, since the class is so huge it'd be hard to get to know people through only lectures.

Then again, that was the only school where I sat in on a lecture. What do you guys think? What are your pros and cons for USC? I currently don't have a first choice and haven't gotten all my decisions yet either. But I want to get as many perspectives as possible, because I regret not thinking hard enough about my undergrad.

Thanks guys!

aww this thread is awesome. congrats to everyone!! SC is my absolute first choice and im still waiting and praying for a large package to come in the mail. so happy for all you guys! :thumbup:

happygirl said:
aww this thread is awesome. congrats to everyone!! SC is my absolute first choice and im still waiting and praying for a large package to come in the mail. so happy for all you guys! :thumbup:

ME TOO!!! Gosh, will I ever get that huge package?

noodley said:
Floseph, I am really interested in alternative medicine too! I haven't come across anything in that area... but they do have this institute for preventative medicine, which is also very interesting. They have this big website about it, but when I went... nobody seemed to have heard of it.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/research/institutes/ihpdpr.html

But LA is such a diverse place with a huge Asian population and lots of health-nuts... I think there would be plenty of people in the area practicing alternative medicine or researching it.

I got my acceptance today!! Weird that it was postmarked 1/25. Ay... who can understand these admissions offices. Well, I loved USC when I interviewed... I'm still waiting on other schools, but I am so excited!! This is my only California school, and that all by itself carries a ton of weight.

The one thing I didn't like about the school was when I sat in on a lecture. It felt like freshman year of college again.... people were talking... reading the newspaper... it wasn't everybody, but I felt like some people just weren't that into it. I do really like that they split into small groups of 24 and 6, since the class is so huge it'd be hard to get to know people through only lectures.

Then again, that was the only school where I sat in on a lecture. What do you guys think? What are your pros and cons for USC? I currently don't have a first choice and haven't gotten all my decisions yet either. But I want to get as many perspectives as possible, because I regret not thinking hard enough about my undergrad.

Thanks guys!

Maybe you should lower your standards a bit ... some lectures are really, truly, achingly, DAAAAAAARN boring.

Floseph said:

Last month there was a lunchtime lecture on acupuncture. A couple of students are into it, and I think there is an interest group for alternative medicine. I do not believe there is a clinical rotation, however.

yeah...it is still school afterall. I cant imagine biochem lectures in med school being any better than biochem lectures in undergrad.

i think i'm pretty set on usc at this point. i'm hoping the nhsc scholarship app goes well.... if not, well...i guess i can also be a surgeon. =P California here i come!!! Go trojans!! (and wildcats, too!)

Wooohooo... I got in today. For those waiting to hear, I interviewed 1/14 so they made me wait quite a bit (but it was well worth it) . :D :D :D

lakersfan said:
Wooohooo... I got in today. For those waiting to hear, I interviewed 1/14 so they made me wait quite a bit (but it was well worth it) . :D :D :D

Congrats Lakersfan, that's awesome!

lakersfan said:

Congratulations!!!

I guess I have another month of waiting since I interviewed on 2/16 :thumbdown: I think med schools should implement a pizza delivery strategy: 2 weeks or we'll reimburse your secondary fee! :p

How fill will the class be by the time I interview on March 22nd?
In other words, do I still have a chance for USC?

i forgot to call USC before i made flight reservations for second visit weekend...i sure hope this thread is right and it is on April 29!!! See you guys there

Hey everyone,
For those set on going to Keck, do you know where we can buy parking permits? I was looking at the Class of 2007 thread and I think most people said not to wait until June to buy parking. Thanks!!!

c/o 2007 thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=68954&page=1&pp=20&highlight=keck

UCLA reject...I would go to the interview. USC is selective in who they give out interviews to (they accept more than 50% of the people they interview and if you look at past years threads, they take a lot of people off the waitlist...if you have a US news account, you can see that they accept like 70% of interviewees who are from California...that means you have a very good chance so long as you don't do/say anything foolish at the interview). The lunch on interview day is really really nice and the tour of LAC+USC is amazing (on my interview day, they took us in the ER). My student interviewer was so nice that he gave me a personal tour of USC gen (and he almost spent 2 hours with me). Trust me, it's one interview you should not miss. In addition, I'm sure you'll be reviewed at least once before they make the final waitlist in April and Keck says its admissions are non-rolling. USC does a great job of selling the program to you.

So, i did call the admissions office today, and they confirmed that 2nd visit day is April 29th...so thanks roadrunneritta! How many of you all are going to go? Anyways, I'm looking forward to it and it should be fun

locks said:
So, i did call the admissions office today, and they confirmed that 2nd visit day is April 29th...so thanks roadrunneritta! How many of you all are going to go? Anyways, I'm looking forward to it and it should be fun

Oh heck yeah. You should jump on the Canuck+Jeffy party bus. :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
Oh heck yeah. You should jump on the Canuck+Jeffy party bus. :thumbup:

Mmm, still gotta get accepted first so feel free to make a call on my behalf to let the admissions committee know you just wouldn't be able to spend 4 years at Keck without Canuck to drive you around!

locks said:

Hey locks,
I'm gonna go. HSC is only 20 miles from where I live and I think it would be really fun to meet all my new classmates and some of the faculty of Keck. Do you guys know what we exactly do during second look weekend and when will they send us an official invitation? On another note, has anyone found out anything about parking (look at the c/o 2007 thread link i posted earlier).

lakersfan said:
Hey locks,
I'm gonna go. HSC is only 20 miles from where I live and I think it would be really fun to meet all my new classmates and some of the faculty of Keck. Do you guys know what we exactly do during second look weekend and when will they send us an official invitation? On another note, has anyone found out anything about parking (look at the c/o 2007 thread link i posted earlier).

Admissions said they are going to send out official invitations for 2nd visit in a couple weeks, so we'll definitely hear more then. They're probably just waiting to send information until more of the class is filled. Runneritta's first post was pretty informative, though, so you all should check that out