Trojan Pride- USC class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey , I was wondering for those planning to attend Keck... does Keck has anything for us to do this summer at USC (any research programs, etc?). I'm really not doing anything since I'm going to be quitting my teaching job and would love to get settled down at USC. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

lakersfan said:
Hey , I was wondering for those planning to attend Keck... does Keck has anything for us to do this summer at USC (any research programs, etc?). I'm really not doing anything since I'm going to be quitting my teaching job and would love to get settled down at USC. Thanks.

I know they have a Spanish program in Mexico that I do plan on attending if I get in. Man, I'm so sick of saying that, let me in already! :mad:

hi guys!

just bought my plane tix to second look, even though i haven't received a formal mailing...but you guys will all be there right??? i'm staying for 4 days -thought i'd try to explore the neighborhoods and learn how to dodge bullets, since i'm from the east coast...any of you have plans for the weekend?

can't wait to meet everyone!

and i'm definitely up for the pub night. cheers.

Amy

ps good luck canuckrazorback and happygirl!

Members don't see this ad :)
wisteria said:
hi guys!

just bought my plane tix to second look, even though i haven't received a formal mailing...but you guys will all be there right??? i'm staying for 4 days -thought i'd try to explore the neighborhoods and learn how to dodge bullets, since i'm from the east coast...any of you have plans for the weekend?

can't wait to meet everyone!

and i'm definitely up for the pub night. cheers.

Amy

ps good luck canuckrazorback and happygirl!

I'm definitely up for some pub nights :thumbup:

Jeffy said:
I'm definitely up for some pub nights :thumbup:

me too!!!!

Btw...is USC's campus in really that bad of a neighborhood? I live half an hour from HSC and I think I've seen parts of L.A. that are much much worse. I don't think its as bad as most people make it out to be and most of us are not going to be living on HSC anyways so I don't get what the big deal is.

P.S. Good luck canuck. I really wouldnt worry because they took 6 weeks to tell me and if your interview as you described, I'm sure you'll get in. Good luck!!! :D :D

lakersfan said:
me too!!!!

Btw...is USC's campus in really that bad of a neighborhood? I live half an hour from HSC and I think I've seen parts of L.A. that are much much worse. I don't think its as bad as most people make it out to be and most of us are not going to be living on HSC anyways so I don't get what the big deal is.

P.S. Good luck canuck. I really wouldnt worry because they took 6 weeks to tell me and if your interview as you described, I'm sure you'll get in. Good luck!!! :D :D

Thanks Lakersfan!

I didn't think the neighborhood was that bad. Maybe I prepared myself for the worse since everybody on this forum seemed to diss USC because of the surroundings. As I understand it, most people do not live in the neighborhood near HSC though. I hear South Pasadena is nice! Anywhere close to an In-N-Out Burger is fine by me. By the way, a trip to In-N-Out should be part of the schedule for 2nd look so we can introduce East Coasters to double-doubles! :D

This waiting game for an acceptance to USC does certainly take its toll. After my interview I thought that I actually had my first choice in the bag and that all was well... but here I am now 2 months post-interview and still nothing. Its hard driving past there with my patients saying to myself, "When am I going to get out of this ambulance and into that ER." C'est la vie... one day =)

If it turns out that luck is in my favor, I certainly look forward to meeting you all at second look, there is no way I would not be there.

UCBShocker said:
This waiting game for an acceptance to USC does certainly take its toll. After my interview I thought that I actually had my first choice in the bag and that all was well... but here I am now 2 months post-interview and still nothing. Its hard driving past there with my patients saying to myself, "When am I going to get out of this ambulance and into that ER." C'est la vie... one day =)

If it turns out that luck is in my favor, I certainly look forward to meeting you all at second look, there is no way I would not be there.

Well, if your plan is to become an ER doc, USC would be a good fit for you. Good Luck.

Is anyone going to Keck thinking of doing the MD/MBA? When my student interviewer and I talked about it, he told me that it was fairly simple to enter Marshall from Keck. He said you have to take your GMAT though but that compared to the MCAT, it is relatively easier. Any opinions on if it's worth it or not? Also, if anyone has any experience with the GMAT, can they suggest a few helpful study guides. Thanks!

lakersfan said:
Is anyone going to Keck thinking of doing the MD/MBA? When my student interviewer and I talked about it, he told me that it was fairly simple to enter Marshall from Keck. He said you have to take your GMAT though but that compared to the MCAT, it is relatively easier. Any opinions on if it's worth it or not? Also, if anyone has any experience with the GMAT, can they suggest a few helpful study guides. Thanks!

I never thought about an mba. I suppose it'd be a good deal. Do they give u a tuition discount for the dual degree, by any chance? or do u have to pay in full (or take out loans) for both?

beebs said:
I never thought about an mba. I suppose it'd be a good deal. Do they give u a tuition discount for the dual degree, by any chance? or do u have to pay in full (or take out loans) for both?

Hey beebs,
I'm really not sure about the tuition discount. If you look at the website it takes an additional year and a half but I think getting the MBA could be very helpful. I talked to the admissions office today and they said you can email them and they'll send you more info but I have yet to do so.

I'm finishing up my MBA right now so here are my thoughts...

If you have a business undergrad, an MBA might be an overkill unless you are interested in healthcare administration. An MBA will definitely open some doors in that case.

If you don't have any business background, like I did 10 months ago, getting an MBA is a great decision. Marshall has one of the top entrepreneurship program in the US so if you're interested in getting business training to figure out how to start your own practice, USC is the place. However, since USC is so expensive, you guys might want to look into executive/part-time programs at UC's. Also, many graduate business schools require work experience before letting you in, so keep that in mind.

I am glad I decided to get an MBA because I had absolutely no clue about business. I admit that it's a lot of common sense, but if you have no knowledge of accounting or finance, common sense might not be enough. If you already have a business background, taking a course in entrepreneurial finance or small business/venture development is probably all you need. Also, I am learning a lot in my business plan capstone project. Great hands-on experience that would be very beneficial for anyone wanting to start their own firm/practice.

Check out the MD/MBA forum and PM me if you have any questions.

Also... Don't sweat the GMAT. Just figure out how to answer data sufficiency questions and the rest is cake.

CanuckRazorback said:
I'm finishing up my MBA right now so here are my thoughts...

If you have a business undergrad, an MBA might be an overkill unless you are interested in healthcare administration. An MBA will definitely open some doors in that case.

If you don't have any business background, like I did 10 months ago, getting an MBA is a great decision. Marshall has one of the top entrepreneurship program in the US so if you're interested in getting business training to figure out how to start your own practice, USC is the place. However, since USC is so expensive, you guys might want to look into executive/part-time programs at UC's. Also, many graduate business schools require work experience before letting you in, so keep that in mind.

I am glad I decided to get an MBA because I had absolutely no clue about business. I admit that it's a lot of common sense, but if you have no knowledge of accounting or finance, common sense might not be enough. If you already have a business background, taking a course in entrepreneurial finance or small business/venture development is probably all you need. Also, I am learning a lot in my business plan capstone project. Great hands-on experience that would be very beneficial for anyone wanting to start their own firm/practice.

Check out the MD/MBA forum and PM me if you have any questions.

Also... Don't sweat the GMAT. Just figure out how to answer data sufficiency questions and the rest is cake.

Thanks Canuck!!! I just pmed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
With March Madness here, I sure hope the Trojans turn the basketball team around next year! But, I guess having the number one football team in the nation isn't too bad. I go to a small private school now, so it'll be fun to watch Pac Ten sports all year!

awww....... our thread is on like page 9 or something. not that i've been one of the most consistent posters :D !!

hey has anyone gotten any more info from sc? like financial aid, 2nd look, parking, ANYTHING?? kinda weird i think

oh and another thought......... in terms of where to live, a lot of students, esp. the ms4's, live on the west side (santa monica, palms, culver city etc), b/c even though it's farther away, you're usually against traffic. just a thought....... the west side is a lot nicer, and lots more to do (not that we'll have any time but i psychologically need to feel that i have the option of going to the beach).

good luck to those still waiting - i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :luck: :luck:

So unfortunately I'm still awating a decision and according to the admissions office we should hear in the next 2 weeks where we stand. I'm living in San Diego right now and being an out of stater, USC is my top choice. Does anybody know how USC's waitlist works, is it ranked, does it have a lot of movement? Thanks.

DrET said:
So unfortunately I'm still awating a decision and according to the admissions office we should hear in the next 2 weeks where we stand.

Who's we— people who have interviewed there already?

I don't know, sorry!

Ok, so clearly there will be a pub night of some sorts. After we get our little invitations, I'll try to figure out where the majority of people will be staying and pick a place to meet. And, although I don't have a lot of time this week (they actually gave me work at work, geesh!), I will set up a yahoo site where we can post pictures and such after those invitations come as well. It makes sense to wait till we get more information before I go full steam ahead.

Who said something about a Mexico program? Do you know what that entails at all?

Sure people who have interviewed already or those accepted might know something about the waitlist even though they obviously don't have to worry about that. Just wondering if anybody had any info or if they've heard anything, that's all.

Yeah, so I got bored at work today- if you want in on that yahoo account PM me.... Actually, I decided to go with MSN since it's prettier.
ciao
-M

supadupadoc said:
oh and another thought......... in terms of where to live, a lot of students, esp. the ms4's, live on the west side (santa monica, palms, culver city etc), b/c even though it's farther away, you're usually against traffic. just a thought....... the west side is a lot nicer, and lots more to do (not that we'll have any time but i psychologically need to feel that i have the option of going to the beach).

I feel the same way about where I live. Even if I can't go to fun bars all of the time (or ever) I at least need to know that the options are available to me wherever I live. But then again, aside from the driving considerations, there's also the fact that the Westside will me more expensive than anything comparable closer to the school. My brother and gf both live out west and they pay a bundle for their apts.

roadrunnerrita said:
I don't know, sorry!

Ok, so clearly there will be a pub night of some sorts. After we get our little invitations, I'll try to figure out where the majority of people will be staying and pick a place to meet. And, although I don't have a lot of time this week (they actually gave me work at work, geesh!), I will set up a yahoo site where we can post pictures and such after those invitations come as well. It makes sense to wait till we get more information before I go full steam ahead.

Who said something about a Mexico program? Do you know what that entails at all?

I'm the one who posted about the Mexico program. It's a 3-week program where they teach you medical Spanish. I could definitely benefit from that because yo no hablo el espanol mucho (did that make any sense? :laugh: )
You can find the details of the program on the USC site (just search med spanish and it will pop up on the family practice site).

I was just wandering, i know we are in the same boat about the waiting and all, but did you apply just for the MD or thr MD/PhD, anddid you hear anything yet?

nadica31 said:
I was just wandering, i know we are in the same boat about the waiting and all, but did you apply just for the MD or thr MD/PhD, anddid you hear anything yet?

I applied MD, interviewed 2/16, and am dying to hear back from USC. I can't wait to join this thread as an official future trojan, if ever.

So here's the deal- if you guys want to join the MSN group I made for the class of 2009, PM me with your real name and email address, and I'll add you to the list.
ll,
roadrunnerrita

About how many people were on the evite? Just wondering how many acceptances are out there.

DrET said:
About how many people were on the evite? Just wondering how many acceptances are out there.

Definitely over 200. Like 220 or 230 I wanna say.

Hi Everybody,

I too will be a Trojan next year! Congratulations to all of us! I look forward to meeting all of you on the 29th. A little about me: I was born in LA but raised in Seattle. I'm finishing my undergrad at the UW right now, I graduate in June on my 22nd birthday. I'm excited that USC is only an hour or so from the beach and the mountains because I love both! Is anyone else up for skiing this winter?

Roadrunnerita, I'm up for any forum you start for roommate-finding. I'm going to try to figure out PMing and MSN (I've never done either before). And of course, sign me up for pub night!

Lynne

hey i was pretty impressed by usc's match list that was posted on this forum...it looks very solid, anyone else have an opinion on it?

lynne - i am from bellingham but did undergrad in southern cali. the skiing there isn't so bad if you need to get it out of your system, but LA-style traffic up the mountain is not something to look forward to. i am still deciding whether or not to ditch my skis and head to school in chicago or to go to usc. if i'm at usc, you got a ride to hills!

Ok, so here's what is much easier: instead of me going and inviting everyone one at a time, you can apply to join.

Go to: http://groups.msn.com/KeckSchoolofMedicineClassof2009/
-create a net passport if you haven't
-then go back to the url above and click "apply to join"
-give me your first and last name in the information or message text box- I've been checking them against the evite list.
-I'll go through the list a few times a week and accept people!

Thanks!
Roadunnerrita

bump

Well, I guess I won't be driving the second look party bus... :( I was waitlisted last week, but received a very encouraging email from Dr. Quinn telling me that she was sure they would pull me off the waitlist. Damn me for interviewing too late in the season! Anyway, I will be doing my second look this coming Friday so I'm sorry I'll miss you guys on the 29th.

Does anybody have the match list for USC this year?

CanuckRazorback said:
bump

Well, I guess I won't be driving the second look party bus... :( I was waitlisted last week, but received a very encouraging email from Dr. Quinn telling me that she was sure they would pull me off the waitlist. Damn me for interviewing too late in the season! Anyway, I will be doing my second look this coming Friday so I'm sorry I'll miss you guys on the 29th.

:(

I can't decide whether I'm more mad that you'll have to wait for that acceptance or that I'll have to find someone else on this short notice to drive the Party Bus. Whatever, just keep on pressuring admissions. Good luck! :thumbup:

Has anyone heard about USC's financial aid? Keck is one of the most expensive med school. I know some schools have awesome financial aid package (Stanford comes to mind). So what's the word on the street about Keck?

CanuckRazorback said:
Has anyone heard about USC's financial aid? Keck is one of the most expensive med school. I know some schools have awesome financial aid package (Stanford comes to mind). So what's the word on the street about Keck?

I talked to the fin aid office. USC doesnt have much to offer in the form of institutional grants. They have scholarships (for recruiting purposes), but you would know by now (they tell u during the interview or soon after) if you got one. They also give out a bit of money for ppl with financial need...but this is very limited, the lady said. she also said that they do offer merit scholarships starting 2nd year--for people who do exceptioinally well during 1st year and on. I remember them being around 6k or so; could be wrong though. Other than these, usc doesnt give out grants to med students. apparently, usc fin aid is mostly loans, regardless of income.

wisteria said:
hi guys!

i was wondering the same thing about the second look bc i haven't heard anything about it from usc. i just sent in my deposit last week though. i wanted to buy plane tix for that weekend in april...so an official invite would be nice...i was going to stay for 3-4 days bc i'm from the east coast and have no sense of LA.

and are any of your worried about the cost?

wisteria

hi wisteria,

i called usc this morning because i too sent in my deposit but didn't get the evite... she told me that i should expect the invitation sometime by the end of the week. so i'm probably going to go ahead and book a flight now (i fly southwest though, so i can cancel for whatever reason and it's no big deal) but being from the east coast it might be a little tougher for you. but you should come and spend a few days looking around (but you might need access to a car for that...)

give the office of admissions a call so that you can arrange your flight asap!

*aquablue357

ps. i just read your later post and you will *not* be dodging bullets at the USC health sciences campus. maybe at main campus ;) which is pretty much in the heart of downtown. USC HSC is of course in an urban area, and it is a county hospital, but it's really near the prettiest part of L.A.-- the pasadena area.

Hello!
I'm looking for any current students at 'SC who might know the email addresses of the First Year class presidents. I heard that the 29th is the day of a final, and that you (the students) might be planning an outing to which we (prospective students) may be invited. I'd like to contact the presidents and coordinate, if at all possible. If you have any names or information, please PM me.
Thank you,
roadrunnerrita

I'm trying to decide if I should go to USC--

Does anyone have any good information on the curriculum? what i got from my interview day was fairly vague.

what's the daily schedule like also? how much time is in lecture/class, how many afternoons off? what time do they start in the morning?

fishdoggg said:
I'm trying to decide if I should go to USC--

Does anyone have any good information on the curriculum? what i got from my interview day was fairly vague.

what's the daily schedule like also? how much time is in lecture/class, how many afternoons off? what time do they start in the morning?

this is what i got from my visit (my host is only a 1st year, so this might apply only to ms1):

classes generally start at 8 and ends at 12. some days you will have stuff in the afternoon (lab, more lectures, small group stuff, etc), but, according to my student host, if you do have afternoon stuff, you'd be done by 3 or 4. whether you have lab, afternoon lectures, etc depends on the block. but i think one afternoon a week u go to county to learn some patient interaction stuff irrespective of what block you're in.

hope this helps.

Lemme just say one more time (and maybe again) that Keck isn't as good as they make it look on the interview. We have had cases of people cheating and it pisses us off because they don't get in trouble. The administration has screwed us when we complained about how people are teaching. There is one guy, who is the head of one of the blocks, who has had complaints every year for at least the last two years. The first day, he basically laughed at us for complaining because the administration did nothing about it. As for financial aid, don't count on any. I only know like one person who is getting any money from Keck.

So I had a realllly late interview (April 5th!), but USC is by far my number one choice. I am even going to be home on my spring break on the 29th and would absolutely love for not only an acceptance letter but also a chance to go to second look to meet everyone! I know it has only been 2 weeks, but has anyone interviewed lately and heard anything at all (acceptance, rejection, waitlist)??? I just want to know already, even if it's bad...so I can stop hoping and focus on where I really am going to be. I heard the class wasn't full yet (???) so maybe there's a chance? Anyone who knows anything, let me know! Thanks :) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jeffy said:
Thanks, that was a pretty interesting article :thumbup:
That's the reason there is no financial aid for you guys.

SCstudent said:

it kinda sucks that usc doesnt give out much institutional grants in the fin aid. but at the same time, putting myself in their shoes, i feel institutional grants seem to be a pretty bad investment, esp for a school that can attract students on location alone (plus the fact that uc schools now arent that much cheaper makes usc more financially competitive). does this make sense to anyone else?

haha, not that i won't mind some help for 'sc.

roadrunnerrita said:
Hello!
I'm looking for any current students at 'SC who might know the email addresses of the First Year class presidents. I heard that the 29th is the day of a final, and that you (the students) might be planning an outing to which we (prospective students) may be invited. I'd like to contact the presidents and coordinate, if at all possible. If you have any names or information, please PM me.
Thank you,
roadrunnerrita

hey roadrunnerrita --

pm me i'm the first year secretary. we are planning to go out on the 29th to the white lotus but as far as i've heard there's going to be a different outing for you guys (according to a girl in my MDL -- don't know if that's true). if you want to combine the two though let me know and i'll talk to the presidents and get you on the guest list (there's a discount if you are).

dara

SCstudent said:
So out of 160 students, 159 will have $200,000 in loans and 1 will have $0 in loans. :thumbdown: This is of course a slight exaggeration (emphasis on SLIGHT). It makes me wonder if it was done for the sake of PR through the LA Times article.... No wonder SC gets such a bad rap for its tuition and financial aid.

what is keck