Tropical fish used for cancer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PiccoloPlaya

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading around lately and apparently there's been some development in cancer research using the zebrafish and other tropical fish. Anyone know about this? Also, speaking of tropical fish, I have a beautiful blue betta fishy (baby male) with flowing rainbow colored fins at home named Napolean Bonaparte.

Napolean is a very active little guy! He swims happily next to my Netter atlas on my desk and zooms around the plant. But when I point my pen at him, he flares out angrily and tries to jump out of the tank, slamming his rear into the rocks. Anyone here know why the betta's behavior is so strange? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Write a grant proposal, maybe some research into the behaviour of the beta would help you match in psych or something. Then you would be closer to the care it sounds like you need.

PiccoloPlaya said:
So I've been reading around lately and apparently there's been some development in cancer research using the zebrafish and other tropical fish. Anyone know about this?

Also, speaking of tropical fish, I have a beautiful blue betta fishy (male) with flowing rainbow colored fins at home. He is a very active little guy. He swims happily next to my Netter atlas on my desk and zooms around the plant. But when I point my pen at him, he flares out angrily and tries to jump out of the tank, ending up slamming his butt into the rocks. Anyone here know why the betta's behavior is so strange?

Thanks

Sweetheart, I'm beyond psychiatric help. But for jerks like you, there is help out there. There are possibilities, so don't lose faith. I wish you the best of luck in life.

Supadupafly said:
Write a grant proposal, maybe some research into the behaviour of the beta would help you match in psych or something. Then you would be closer to the care it sounds like you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
PiccoloPlaya said:
Sweetheart, I'm beyond psychiatric help. But for jerks like you, there is help out there. There are possibilities, so don't lose faith. I wish you the best of luck in life.

Sorry to come off like a jerk. It was only meant as a little light-hearted rib tickling. Speaking of which, as long as we're calling each other sweetheart, how about a little rib tickling?

I don't think you can handle a woman like me :D

Supadupafly said:
Sorry to come off like a jerk. It was only meant as a little light-hearted rib tickling. Speaking of which, as long as we're calling each other sweetheart, how about a little rib tickling?

PiccoloPlaya said:
So I've been reading around lately and apparently there's been some development in cancer research using the zebrafish and other tropical fish. Anyone know about this?

Also, speaking of tropical fish, I have a beautiful blue betta fishy (male) with flowing rainbow colored fins at home. He is a very active little guy. He swims happily next to my Netter atlas on my desk and zooms around the plant. But when I point my pen at him, he flares out angrily and tries to jump out of the tank, ending up slamming his butt into the rocks. Anyone here know why the betta's behavior is so strange?

Thanks

if your pen's brightly colored, he probably thinks its another betta and is just showing off his stuff to protect his territory. :)

Ha ha yeah. Well, SDN's colored bright blue, so he's flaring out at me typing right now :)

aprilshyla said:
if your pen's brightly colored, he probably thinks its another betta and is just showing off his stuff to protect his territory. :)

PiccoloPlaya said:
Ha ha yeah. Well, SDN's colored bright blue, so he's flaring out at me typing right now :)

This is all causing me to flare my bored MS1/2 summer-boredom fins. Maybe I should get a fish... hmmm...

fish = no more lonely summer?

Yeah the betta is a gorgeous and stunning fish, especially when it's fins are splayed out, just like a beautiful peacock. It is a very low maintenence pet because they can blow bubbles and breathe oxygen from the surface. Make sure to keep it by itself because if you put 2 bettas in a tank together they will fight and kill each other. (Their scientific name is betta splendens, AKA Siamese fighter fish.) The best looking ones are usually either blue, red, or rainbow colored.

Supadupafly said:
This is all causing me to flare my bored MS1/2 summer-boredom fins. Maybe I should get a fish... hmmm...fish = no more lonely summer?

Male Bettas aren't called Siamese fighting fish for nothing- in fact they will attack a mirror reflection of themselves. Your pen is probably creating an image- and he is getting all puffed up to fight.

Watch out for gruesome pet death with Bettas. They seem to get depressed with their solitary lot in life and will jump out of their bowls. Has happened my fish a couple of times.

Bettas are awesome. Much better than people.

-C

Oh yeah, my betta sure is a hyperactive little guy! I put him in a big flower vase with a scooped neck so it will be very difficult for this one to jump out. Once when I was cleaning out the vase, I placed the betta in a cup and put a highlighter across the top of it. My fishy swam sideways and knocked the highlighter off with his fins thinking it was another fish! Whoa!

My neon tetras (the most delightful little fish) are extremely fast and have jumped out of the bowl a lot. I've had 3 die already landing smack dab on my keyboard, so I put a covering on top of the bowl. Poor fish. Later.

I think I have found my fish...

The Dwarf Guarami. They aren't as fiesty or catty as bettas, but just as colorful. And they are really cool. So now I will have a friend!

Just to see if I can sneak an aquarium into student housing (off-limits).

PiccoloPlaya said:

Thanks

This has been going on for a while now. Zebrafish are good model organisms (vertebrates, embryo's are translucent [hard to analyze mouse/rat embryos en-vivo], and many zebrafish genes have high identity ratio's when compared to human genes).

Members don't see this ad :)
DrChandy said:
This has been going on for a while now. Zebrafish are model organisms (vertebrates, embryo's are translucent [hard to analyze mouse/rat embryo's en-vivo], and many zebrafish genes have high identity ratio's when compared to human genes).

O... K...

:rolleyes:

DrChandy said:
This has been going on for a while now. Zebrafish are good model organisms (vertebrates, embryo's are translucent [hard to analyze mouse/rat embryos en-vivo], and many zebrafish genes have high identity ratio's when compared to human genes).

Our lab at UCSD (molecular medicine/cardiology) had planned on using zebrafish instead of (or maybe in addition to) mice, because of those traits. They went as far as having a "fish room" full of water tanks, never happened though, and that room is now a very crampt computer lab.

domukin said:
Our lab at UCSD (molecular medicine/cardiology) had planned on using zebrafish instead of (or maybe in addition to) mice, because of those traits. They went as far as having a "fish room" full of water tanks, never happened though, and that room is now a very crampt computer lab.

That's sad to hear; the fish would've been great for cardiovascular experiments related to molecular medicine/cardiology. It would be nice if the computer lab ends up being scrapped so you can ultimately get the fish in there. Ultimately, it might come down to the availability of funds in your department, and the specific goals of your PI. Good luck.

There's an investigator at my school who laser ablates the main vessel of mutated zebrafish larvae, and then measures the time it takes for the injury to clot (usually in under a minute). It's cool to watch the cascade in realtime.

No offense, but the betta is much more beautiful. Plus, you can keep the betta in a small flower vase, unlike a gourami which you need a filtered aquarium for and is much higher maintenance.

Supadupafly said:
I think I have found my fish...The Dwarf Guarami. They aren't as fiesty or catty as bettas, but just as colorful. And they are really cool. So now I will have a friend! Just to see if I can sneak an aquarium into student housing (off-limits).

Hey guys! I got another gorgeous betta named Alexander the Great, this one is even more beautiful. He's male, with a purple body, and red/blue alternating rainbow colored fins. Oh, he's just stunning. He flares out angrily when he sees my other beautiful blue betta named Napoleon Bonaparte and they fight like mad! Grr! Argh!

Sad news...Napolean Bonaparte died a few days ago. A few weeks ago him and Alexander the Great were flaring out at each other and fighting...and Napolean had this weird seizure, started convulsing, and then popped his neck. I think he dislocated it because it was permanently bent that way, and his fins were flared out in odd directions, so something obviously neurologically was wrong. Very strange. He was in a lot of pain and finally passed away, poor thing...Alexander is now swimming around wondering where the heck his buddy/nemesis has gone LOL.

PiccoloPlaya said:
Sad news...Napolean Bonaparte died a few days ago. A few weeks ago him and Alexander the Great were flaring out at each other and fighting...and Napolean had this weird seizure, started convulsing, and then popped his neck. I think he dislocated it because it was permanently bent that way, and his fins were flared out in odd directions, so something obviously neurologically was wrong. Very strange. He was in a lot of pain and finally passed away, poor thing...Alexander is now swimming around wondering where the heck his buddy/nemesis has gone LOL.
some suggestions for the future:

1. stop bumping old threads

2. stop posting

if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

regards,
-typeb

And Merry Christmas to you too! :smuggrin: Watch out guys, Type-B is back from the dead.

Hey...why are you on my case all the time? You're acting like a little boy who has a crush on a girl and doesn't wanna admit it :laugh:

typeB-md said:
2. stop posting
regards,
-typeb

typeB-md said:

2. stop posting

regards,
-typeb

ha! i love you brah

I love it when a man cuts me down to size. Only type B can do that to me :love: You send chills up my spine, just like cervical cancer. :laugh:

PiccoloPlaya said:
And Merry Christmas to you too! :smuggrin: Watch out guys, Type-B is back from the dead.

Hey...why are you on my case all the time? You're acting like a little boy who has a crush on a girl and doesn't wanna admit it :laugh:
i wish this was the case, but it is not. i find your threads played out, with no shortage of repetitive and unentertaining content. i feel that this intervention is for the best.

regards,
typeb

Then stop reading them, if I bother you so much. Jesus christ! Why do you keep coming back on here to read my threads and hassle me about them constantly? And then hassle others constantly by making them look inferior? If that's your idea of kicks, then your patients are going to hate you. Unless you're like me, where your real personality is tons cooler than your SDN one.

FYI - I still think you have a crush on me :p

PiccoloPlaya said:
So I've been reading around lately and apparently there's been some development in cancer research using the zebrafish and other tropical fish. Anyone know about this? Also, speaking of tropical fish, I have a beautiful blue betta fishy (baby male) with flowing rainbow colored fins at home named Napolean Bonaparte.

Napolean is a very active little guy! He swims happily next to my Netter atlas on my desk and zooms around the plant. But when I point my pen at him, he flares out angrily and tries to jump out of the tank, slamming his rear into the rocks. Anyone here know why the betta's behavior is so strange? Thanks!

You know they say animals have personalities, too. So as not to collectively characterize them as a species and destroy the individual uniqueness of Mr. Bonaparte, I'd say he's an aggressive one.

I wonder what would happen if there were some females of his species in the tank. Would he be aggressive towards them? My guess is yes.

Yes, the male bettas are aggressive towards the female bettas and will kill them after breeding. The males will kill each other, but females will generally not fight. The female fishies aren't as beautiful as the males though!

Got another baby blue betta with long flowing turquoise rainbow fins. I named him Napolean Bonaparte II. He's an active little guy - and an aggressive little fighter trying to protect his territory! Him and Alexander the Great flare at each other all day long - and one tried to jump into the other's flower vase!

Ignore those idiots Piccolo. Heeter and Type-B are a little type-A (anal retentive) some people have no sense of humor on here :( scary thought theyre gonna be doctors. anyway, my cousin breeds bettas. and yes, fish do have personalities. such as, after a while the betta can definitely recognize when you are their owner and if youre going to feed them, they'll swim up to the top when they see you coming. :) because they know you're going to feed them :) and if faced with another male, the betta will puff out his body and flare his fins to try and intimidate the other male. the females will generally not fight. the males will fight - to the death!