Trouble at UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
The osteopathic community has been strangely quiet about the troubles at UMDNJ-SOM. I think that when these obivious and egregious ethical problems arise, the profession has a responsibility to be reflective about what kind of message the actions of its leadership send to students. All medical students are expected to hold increasingly higher standards of professionalism as evidenced by white coat ceremonies, ACGME-competencies, culturally sensitive medicine, etc. To what standards should students hold their leaders accountable?

"You find that all men are successes or failures. Success is the stamp of truth. I will say all men who fail to place their feet on the dome of facts do so by not sieving all truth and throwing the faulty to one side."

Andrew Taylor Still

Med school dean living large

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

By ELISE YOUNG, JOHN P. McALPIN and BOB GROVES
STAFF WRITERS

JAMES W. ANNESS / THE RECORD
Professor Emanuel Goldman asking a question Monday of interim UMDNJ President Bruce Vladeck at a meeting in Newark after a federal monitor issued a report citing spending irregularities at the school.

Dr. R. Michael Gallagher used a curious phrase -- "I have to get my '15' " -- to remind colleagues around the office at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey that one of the departments he oversaw needed to do a particularly good job, federal investigators say.

Gallagher, dean of the university's School of Osteopathic Medicine, was referring to a $15,000 bonus he would receive if the UMDNJ Headache Center showed an annual profit, the investigators said in a report released Monday.

In all but one year since 1997, Gallagher authorized transfers of cash from other accounts, even those intended for clinical trials, to make up the difference when it appeared that the Headache Center would fall short, they say. The "profit" consistently was $30,000, the level at which Gallagher was entitled to a bonus.

The 36-page report, released by the federally appointed monitor reviewing UMDNJ operations, alleges that Gallagher and Newark City Council President Donald Bradley, a medical school trustee, engaged in "unethical and ... potentially illegal activities" at the expense of the state's largest medical school.

Gallagher, who was forced to resign last month by interim President Bruce C. Vladeck, did not return a phone call for comment. Bradley did not return a phone message left at his Newark office.

But both men had submitted to interviews for the report. At no time did they admit wrongdoing. At one point, Gallagher said he was operating legitimately.

Bradley sought to distance himself from what investigators say was hands-on oversight of a Black History Month celebration that allegedly turned into a political fund-raiser.

Investigators for the monitor, former federal Judge Herbert J. Stern, say they have concluded their review of Gallagher and Bradley. It remains an option for U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie or other prosecutors to pursue criminal charges. Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak declined to comment on any of the monitor's findings.

The report alleges:

Gallagher manipulated accounts and petty cash funds to cover at least $202,000 in gifts, meals and entertainment. For alcohol alone during a five-year period, he was reimbursed $3,250 -- and at least $275 of that was for glasses of 18- or 21-year old Glenlivet scotch at $18 to $25 per serving. And at a time when the school was laying off employees to reduce expenses, Gallagher continued to entertain colleagues at a South Jersey country club and upscale Philadelphia restaurants.

Gallagher used a car and a chauffeur paid for by the university -- a violation of school rules -- and late last year submitted a purchase order for a second university-owned car. The driver's duties included taking Gallagher's wife to appointments with doctors and hairstylists.

Bradley was instrumental in leasing a university-owned property on Clinton Avenue in Newark, "at virtually no cost" to an individual identified as C. Patel, a onetime physician who had lost his medical license. "This amounts to the improper gifting of public funds," the report says. "Conflicts of interest abound in this situation." The report refers to the relationship between Patel and Bradley as "the mystery of 194 Clinton Ave."

In 2005, Bradley organized a Black History Month celebration involving the university and the city of Newark and, ultimately, "significant sums of public funds were used to entertain politicians." Further, Bradley became a familiar figure in the school's Human Resources Office, where he "strongly encouraged [staffers] to hire the candidates he accompanied."

Stern, the monitor, was appointed by Christie last year as part of an agreement to avoid a criminal prosecution of the school.

The investigation so far suggests the university, with campuses in Newark and South Jersey, distributed hundreds of millions of dollars in no-bid contracts, provided jobs to the politically well-connected and wrongly billed the government nearly $5 million for charity health services.

The report released Monday was redacted, or edited, because the inquiry continues.

It pointed out that the staffs of UMDNJ and University Hospital, "but for these very rare exceptions, are ethical, hardworking and committed." It said employees are "deserving of the public's trust and financial support" and "the institution has been making great strides in restoring itself."

Further layoffs

Vladeck, in a meeting with 275 faculty, staff and students Monday in Newark, thanked employees for persevering. But he acknowledged that more changes are ahead, with some "reshuffling" of the administration and possible layoffs.

"A number of changes are planned, reassignments, redefinitions of duties," he said. "But I'm expecting nobody in central administration to leave in the near future."

Stern's document was the result of interviews with more than 70 people and reviews of petty-cash receipts, bank account activity, political donations, lease agreements and contracts. It was the first of what will be quarterly reports submitted to Christie.

Gallagher is scheduled to leave the school's Stratford campus by the end of April. Another official who resigned at the same time, Robert Saporito, the senior vice president of academic affairs, was not named in Monday's report.

Governor Corzine forced the resignation of the school's president, John Petillo, in January. Two other high-ranking administrators resigned last year.

The report suggested that more individuals will come under the same scrutiny.

"Our investigation confirmed that Dr. Gallagher inappropriately exerted influence over ... financial officers who reported to him," it said. "Moreover, Dean Gallagher took advantage of lax oversight and financial controls to expend large sums."

In the meantime, some UMDNJ faculty and staff may be forced to leave for budgetary reasons. Vladeck told the audience that he expects layoffs of some middle managers.

"I'm hopeful, but I'm not confident that that will be it," he said. "We have real budget problems."

Asked about his tenure as interim president, Vladeck said he had a contract with the university board that "defines my role as six to 12 months." He might stay on if asked, he said.

"In the long term, a great research university needs a principal executive who is a great clinician or a great researcher," he said, adding that he was neither.

E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

FAST FACTS

A federal monitor's report released on Monday details allegations of fiscal improprieties by Michael Gallagher, former dean of the UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine.

Spending $3,250 on alcohol, $275 on personal favorite Glenlivet scotch.

Falsifying balance sheets so Gallagher could earn a $15,000 bonus.

Paying out $180,065.73 to restaurants and catering halls, including his country club.

Arranging a $1.5 million lease on a property owned by a political contributor.

Organizing a $22,000 political event paid for by UMDNJ

Members don't see this ad.

There were similar threads just a couple of weeks ago:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=273173&highlight=UMDNJ
and others as well.

drusso said:
The osteopathic community has been strangely quiet about the troubles at UMDNJ-SOM. I think that when these obivious and egregious ethical problems arise, the profession has a responsibility to be reflective about what kind of message the actions of its leadership send to students. All medical students are expected to hold increasingly higher standards of professionalism as evidenced by white coat ceremonies, ACGME-competencies, culturally sensitive medicine, etc. To what standards should students hold their leaders accountable?

"You find that all men are successes or failures. Success is the stamp of truth. I will say all men who fail to place their feet on the dome of facts do so by not sieving all truth and throwing the faulty to one side."

Andrew Taylor Still

Med school dean living large

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

By ELISE YOUNG, JOHN P. McALPIN and BOB GROVES
STAFF WRITERS

JAMES W. ANNESS / THE RECORD
Professor Emanuel Goldman asking a question Monday of interim UMDNJ President Bruce Vladeck at a meeting in Newark after a federal monitor issued a report citing spending irregularities at the school.

Dr. R. Michael Gallagher used a curious phrase -- "I have to get my '15' " -- to remind colleagues around the office at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey that one of the departments he oversaw needed to do a particularly good job, federal investigators say.

Gallagher, dean of the university's School of Osteopathic Medicine, was referring to a $15,000 bonus he would receive if the UMDNJ Headache Center showed an annual profit, the investigators said in a report released Monday.

In all but one year since 1997, Gallagher authorized transfers of cash from other accounts, even those intended for clinical trials, to make up the difference when it appeared that the Headache Center would fall short, they say. The "profit" consistently was $30,000, the level at which Gallagher was entitled to a bonus.

The 36-page report, released by the federally appointed monitor reviewing UMDNJ operations, alleges that Gallagher and Newark City Council President Donald Bradley, a medical school trustee, engaged in "unethical and ... potentially illegal activities" at the expense of the state's largest medical school.

Gallagher, who was forced to resign last month by interim President Bruce C. Vladeck, did not return a phone call for comment. Bradley did not return a phone message left at his Newark office.

But both men had submitted to interviews for the report. At no time did they admit wrongdoing. At one point, Gallagher said he was operating legitimately.

Bradley sought to distance himself from what investigators say was hands-on oversight of a Black History Month celebration that allegedly turned into a political fund-raiser.

Investigators for the monitor, former federal Judge Herbert J. Stern, say they have concluded their review of Gallagher and Bradley. It remains an option for U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie or other prosecutors to pursue criminal charges. Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak declined to comment on any of the monitor's findings.

The report alleges:

Gallagher manipulated accounts and petty cash funds to cover at least $202,000 in gifts, meals and entertainment. For alcohol alone during a five-year period, he was reimbursed $3,250 -- and at least $275 of that was for glasses of 18- or 21-year old Glenlivet scotch at $18 to $25 per serving. And at a time when the school was laying off employees to reduce expenses, Gallagher continued to entertain colleagues at a South Jersey country club and upscale Philadelphia restaurants.

Gallagher used a car and a chauffeur paid for by the university -- a violation of school rules -- and late last year submitted a purchase order for a second university-owned car. The driver's duties included taking Gallagher's wife to appointments with doctors and hairstylists.

Bradley was instrumental in leasing a university-owned property on Clinton Avenue in Newark, "at virtually no cost" to an individual identified as C. Patel, a onetime physician who had lost his medical license. "This amounts to the improper gifting of public funds," the report says. "Conflicts of interest abound in this situation." The report refers to the relationship between Patel and Bradley as "the mystery of 194 Clinton Ave."

In 2005, Bradley organized a Black History Month celebration involving the university and the city of Newark and, ultimately, "significant sums of public funds were used to entertain politicians." Further, Bradley became a familiar figure in the school's Human Resources Office, where he "strongly encouraged [staffers] to hire the candidates he accompanied."

Stern, the monitor, was appointed by Christie last year as part of an agreement to avoid a criminal prosecution of the school.

The investigation so far suggests the university, with campuses in Newark and South Jersey, distributed hundreds of millions of dollars in no-bid contracts, provided jobs to the politically well-connected and wrongly billed the government nearly $5 million for charity health services.

The report released Monday was redacted, or edited, because the inquiry continues.

It pointed out that the staffs of UMDNJ and University Hospital, "but for these very rare exceptions, are ethical, hardworking and committed." It said employees are "deserving of the public's trust and financial support" and "the institution has been making great strides in restoring itself."

Further layoffs

Vladeck, in a meeting with 275 faculty, staff and students Monday in Newark, thanked employees for persevering. But he acknowledged that more changes are ahead, with some "reshuffling" of the administration and possible layoffs.

"A number of changes are planned, reassignments, redefinitions of duties," he said. "But I'm expecting nobody in central administration to leave in the near future."

Stern's document was the result of interviews with more than 70 people and reviews of petty-cash receipts, bank account activity, political donations, lease agreements and contracts. It was the first of what will be quarterly reports submitted to Christie.

Gallagher is scheduled to leave the school's Stratford campus by the end of April. Another official who resigned at the same time, Robert Saporito, the senior vice president of academic affairs, was not named in Monday's report.

Governor Corzine forced the resignation of the school's president, John Petillo, in January. Two other high-ranking administrators resigned last year.

The report suggested that more individuals will come under the same scrutiny.

"Our investigation confirmed that Dr. Gallagher inappropriately exerted influence over ... financial officers who reported to him," it said. "Moreover, Dean Gallagher took advantage of lax oversight and financial controls to expend large sums."

In the meantime, some UMDNJ faculty and staff may be forced to leave for budgetary reasons. Vladeck told the audience that he expects layoffs of some middle managers.

"I'm hopeful, but I'm not confident that that will be it," he said. "We have real budget problems."

Asked about his tenure as interim president, Vladeck said he had a contract with the university board that "defines my role as six to 12 months." He might stay on if asked, he said.

"In the long term, a great research university needs a principal executive who is a great clinician or a great researcher," he said, adding that he was neither.

E-mail: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

FAST FACTS

A federal monitor's report released on Monday details allegations of fiscal improprieties by Michael Gallagher, former dean of the UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine.

Spending $3,250 on alcohol, $275 on personal favorite Glenlivet scotch.

Falsifying balance sheets so Gallagher could earn a $15,000 bonus.

Paying out $180,065.73 to restaurants and catering halls, including his country club.

Arranging a $1.5 million lease on a property owned by a political contributor.

Organizing a $22,000 political event paid for by UMDNJ

Yes, but this is a new article. I think it is appalling and the students should be up in arms about it. The students should not be punished for the greed, inconsideration, and blatant unprofessionalism of the school administrator.

Members don't see this ad :)
And just think... all of this was revealed because public (state) funds were being wasted. Imagine what we would find if the private institutions were audited? I bet we'd find the same if not worse.

dr_almondjoy_do said:
And just think... all of this was revealed because public (state) funds were being wasted. Imagine what we would find if the private institutions were audited? I bet we'd find the same if not worse.

? Private institutions do have their own auditors, and private companies on the stock exchange that have "gone public" are regulated by the SEC. I think the government gets to waste a lot more money than private institutions - they have to atleast be efficient bc theres so much disclosure to shareholders, etc. But I don't know how the hell the goverment is spending my tax dollars - for all I know it's going towards some pork barrell project.

nvshelat said:
? Private institutions do have their own auditors, and private companies on the stock exchange that have "gone public" are regulated by the SEC. I think the government gets to waste a lot more money than private institutions - they have to atleast be efficient bc theres so much disclosure to shareholders, etc. But I don't know how the hell the goverment is spending my tax dollars - for all I know it's going towards some pork barrell project.

Ok.... maybe I should clarify. PRIVATE MEDICAL SCHOOLS THAT DON'T HAVE SHAREHOLDERS much like the story we have here. The only real shareholders in this case would be the medical students, and we don't get any accounts on what money is being spent on....I think that the medical school industry is very prone to financial abuses by administration. There is just so much leeway and so many asumptions about what money is being allocated for. Like those student "activity fees" and "lab fees" for example. We don't get annual breakdowns on what our money goes to. And we have to repay it all with interest. wow...

dr_almondjoy_do said:
Ok.... maybe I should clarify. PRIVATE MEDICAL SCHOOLS THAT DON'T HAVE SHAREHOLDERS much like the story we have here. The only real shareholders in this case would be the medical students, and we don't get any accounts on what money is being spent on....I think that the medical school industry is very prone to financial abuses by administration. There is just so much leeway and so many asumptions about what money is being allocated for. Like those student "activity fees" and "lab fees" for example. We don't get annual breakdowns on what our money goes to. And we have to repay it all with interest. wow...

I was actually talking about this very thing with a friend yesterday - I think there needs to be more transparency in general on how people are spending my money, whether it be taxes for our public high school (which, umm for some reason has 2 principals and 4 vice principals?!) or a private medical school like NYCOM. (UMDNJ is a state school).

Back on target to Dr. Russo's point-
I have not heard a peep about this from the power tower. Granted, I am in 3rd year clerkships and not spending a lot of time w/ 'The DO'.
Has there been any mention of concern about this from the AOA? Has anyone's school leadership made any announcements or assurances?

We are a minority, upstart, profession that must project a seamless image of competence, professionalism and ethical integrity if we are to continue with our present level of respect.

The big press push by the AOA 3 years ago has not netted much. Let's consider the past year's osteopathic oriented news.
-We made the front page of the Wall Street Journal when a DO in WV was fired after mutiple lawsuits from people whose lives he destroyed while masquerading as an orthopedist. In fact he was not even a surgeon.
-The president of Stanford publicly all but declared that DOs are not worthy of ACGME residency slots.
-We had a member make the cover of Newsweek as a brilliant, courageous and gifted healer who literally risked his life for fellow soldiers...but they called him a MD.
-There was that money for drug debacle in Georgia (or was it Florida?)
-The California Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners made national news when they ran out funds for investigating licensees.
-Now we have this mess in NJ.

Do these things happen in alloland? Ya betcha. But guess what, we are still the new kidz. The upstarts. To many we are the unknown. When a public hears only the negative about a group with which they are not familiar, that group quickly loses trust. Doubly so when that group lets the black marks go unexplained.

I like the Still quote used above by Russo. Let this thing be well sieved (all of it), then loudly and agressively extricate the chaff and let it blow away.

fuegorama said:
I like the Still quote used above by Russo. Let this thing be well sieved (all of it), then loudly and agressively extricate the chaff and let it blow away.

Twenty years ago I attended a university where the president left in disgrace due to many of the same problems (too much university money spent on gifts to friends, private jets, and single-malt scotch). If I remember correctly, he was indicted on criminal charges and even served some time. However, very few people even remember this today and it has had little effect on the university itself. I think that a few years from now, very few people will link this to UMDNJ in the same fashion. However, I am a little stunned by the meager response from the students there. Perhaps, they don't wish to draw any more attention to themselves. Instead, I believe that they should be very angry and should hold the administration accountable.

There have been arguments that this goes on everywhere. So what! It doesn't make it right. If, indeed, it is going on everywhere, then all students should be up in arms over it. If you assume an average class size of 100, then every $15,000 of misdirected funds is really $150 out of the pockets of each student. While there may be many reasons that medical school tuition has increased much more than inflation over the past 20 years, eliminating waste of this type would be a good start at curbing that trend.

Plus, who can even value the cost to the school's reputation. The students should be demanding explanations because they have been hurt in ways that may not even yet be imagined.

scpod said:
Twenty years ago I attended a university where the president left in disgrace due to many of the same problems (too much university money spent on gifts to friends, private jets, and single-malt scotch). If I remember correctly, he was indicted on criminal charges and even served some time. However, very few people even remember this today and it has had little effect on the university itself. I think that a few years from now, very few people will link this to UMDNJ in the same fashion. However, I am a little stunned by the meager response from the students there. Perhaps, they don't wish to draw any more attention to themselves. Instead, I believe that they should be very angry and should hold the administration accountable.

There have been arguments that this goes on everywhere. So what! It doesn't make it right. If, indeed, it is going on everywhere, then all students should be up in arms over it. If you assume an average class size of 100, then every $15,000 of misdirected funds is really $150 out of the pockets of each student. While there may be many reasons that medical school tuition has increased much more than inflation over the past 20 years, eliminating waste of this type would be a good start at curbing that trend.

Plus, who can even value the cost to the school's reputation. The students should be demanding explanations because they have been hurt in ways that may not even yet be imagined.

Yes I went to school there...let's put it out in the open..It was DesMoines University, then called UOMHS-COMS. The president basically used his prestige and the school to accumulate a personal art gallery worth millions and extorted Umnversity funds. He did spend time in Jail..ended up disgraced.
Also his name was taken off the tower of the school.
Many in new jersey are calling this a New Jersey thing. It isn't. It is also not an osteopathic thing. The entire process started when the Nortern campus of UMDNJ was charged with misappropriation of Medicare/Medicaid funds due to double billing. That type of thing has been going on on Allopathic school campuses for years...Uof Penn- 20 million settlement, U of Washington - Seattle 15 million settlement, etc etc...The reason it went to UMDNJSOM is because the government arrnaged for a federal Monitor to investigate the matter when they found financial mismanagement went beyond just double billing Medicare....The investigation also continues...
The main thing is...those few "BAD EGGS" do NOT reflect the many hardworking and ethical professors, administrators and staff at UMDNJ-SOM.
We will move on and the students will continue to recieve thier excellent educations from those of us who are on the staff.
Des Moines moved on after their debacle 20 years ago...and we can too.

I think the biggest problems are up at the allopathic divisions of UMDNJ, of course our Dean got the boot but we got an even better one in trade. UMDNJ is the largest healthcare organization in the country and it is a public university with 8 different schools, with that kind of manpower and money being thrown around there is going to be problems, let’s face it. You are also treading in the political world when it comes to public schools of this magnitude so throw in some dirt from there and the media’s need to make all this drama and there you have it.
Here in studentland at SOM life goes on much as it always has, if it weren’t for the news and the discussion here I wouldn’t even know anything happened. I am getting a great education, we have great role models in our teachers, and the resources of UMDNJ are overwhelming. So, is there a need for the AOA to step in? Of course not, the curriculum and training isn’t being affected and we still have all of our osteopathic role models in place minus one alleged crook that we had minimal contact with. Let the state handle it.

I agree with Nate, except that UMDNJ is the one of the largest health care organizations in the country. It maybe one of the largest health care schools in the nation, but there are a few other networks that have UMDNJ beat in the category of employees since there aren't state hospitals ;) I believe AtlanticCare is actually #1 in NJ. The largest health care organization in the US is actually the VA hospital program.

I think those that are not invovled in the situation usually make the biggest "stink" over it just to rile people up. UMDNJ is a great organization and sometimes leadership gets in the way. But that doesn't devalue it anymore. With all of the financial accounting scandals since Enron and the "cracking" down on these scandals, scrutiny has increased while some people haven't changed their ways.

Another example of how I really dislike political especially in NJ and now how they magically are getting another med school now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nate said:
I think the biggest problems are up at the allopathic divisions of UMDNJ, of course our Dean got the boot but we got an even better one in trade. UMDNJ is the largest healthcare organization in the country and it is a public university with 8 different schools, with that kind of manpower and money being thrown around there is going to be problems, let’s face it. You are also treading in the political world when it comes to public schools of this magnitude so throw in some dirt from there and the media’s need to make all this drama and there you have it.
Here in studentland at SOM life goes on much as it always has, if it weren’t for the news and the discussion here I wouldn’t even know anything happened. I am getting a great education, we have great role models in our teachers, and the resources of UMDNJ are overwhelming. So, is there a need for the AOA to step in? Of course not, the curriculum and training isn’t being affected and we still have all of our osteopathic role models in place minus one alleged crook that we had minimal contact with. Let the state handle it.

Nate,
I agree with you 100%. I respect Dr Cavelieri immensely. I have seen him weather storms here at UMDNJover the last 16 years, the current students and some staff don't know or remember. He is not a TOP DOC in South Jersey and Philadelphia for nothing. The Geriatric residency program he heads along with Anita Chopra is one of the top in the nation..above most allopathic programs.
I respect his wish to try to help UMDNJ-SOM thru these trials....
I am one of the faculty who will help him keep our students on thier chosen path

DermpathDO said:
Nate,
I agree with you 100%. I respect Dr Cavelieri immensely. I have seen him weather storms here at UMDNJover the last 16 years, the current students and some staff don't know or remember. He is not a TOP DOC in South Jersey and Philadelphia for nothing. The Geriatric residency program he heads along with Anita Chopra is one of the top in the nation..above most allopathic programs.
I respect his wish to try to help UMDNJ-SOM thru these trials....
I am one of the faculty who will help him keep our students on thier chosen path

Hi,

I agree with DermpathDO and Nate fully. Considering I will be attending UMDNJ-SOM this fall for the class of 2010, I see no diff it will have on students.

UMDNJ-SOM is expanding very well and anyone who goes here likes the family atmosphere.

The media always puts reports which are highly skewed in many cases and we cannot draw conclusions just based on media reports.

well my point is: entering for the class of 2010, I will be even more excited to go the school and I know the school will only keep on improving year after year.

ragda26 said:
Hi,

I agree with DermpathDO and Nate fully. Considering I will be attending UMDNJ-SOM this fall for the class of 2010, I see no diff it will have on students.

UMDNJ-SOM is expanding very well and anyone who goes here likes the family atmosphere.

The media always puts reports which are highly skewed in many cases and we cannot draw conclusions just based on media reports.

well my point is: entering for the class of 2010, I will be even more excited to go the school and I know the school will only keep on improving year after year.

Well Ragda,
Welcome to UMD SOM...
you will be ahppy to know the new curriculum is progressing... we look forward to each new class and thier enthusiasm for learning. See you in August!

1052wer.jpg

Nate said:
I think the biggest problems are up at the allopathic divisions of UMDNJ.....

just curious as to what these big problems at the NJMS and RWJMS allopathic divisions are? As of late I know about no bid contracts (which I believe were tossed out), financial scandal at the hospital (not affiliated with the allo side) and the dental school cheating scandal.