Trouble deciding between Pharmacy major or Music Therapy major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year 1 semester college student. I am having trouble deciding. I have a passion for music since I could ever remember. I am currently a pharmacy tech. i am not good at singing, but i have a good foundation in guitar and ukulele. I have been looking at the job outlook from the next 10 years too.

Members don't see this ad.

If your plan is to go to med school you can choose whatever you'd like. You don't have to be a good singer to be a music therapist, it encompasses all instruments. Do whatever your heart desires.

Are you planning to go to med school? It seems like you are not from your post? If you are though, music therapy sounds waaaay cooler.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning to go to med school? It seems like you are not from your post? If you are though, music therapy sounds waaaay cooler.
But i just don't know what to major in. I am a pre-pharmacy student. I am deciding to change majors. From pharmacy to music therapy. Should I? I mean i would be making less if I do, but i would purse my passion for music and helping others too.

I already graduated and am currently looking for a job. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT major in music therapy. It may be your passion but it will be ridiculously hard to find a job in that field once you graduate. Yes if you end up going to med school then it won't matter, but what if you don't end up going for some reason? You need to have a solid career as a backup. Music therapy is cool and all but nothing matters when you are a jobless 26-year-old still living in your parents' basement. If you love music that much, do it as a hobby, just not as a career.

Reactions: 1 user
Also for the record, your major is usually not at all proscriptive of what job you can do or what field you can work in once you graduate.

I already graduated and am currently looking for a job. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT major in music therapy. It may be your passion but it will be ridiculously hard to find a job in that field once you graduate. Yes if you end up going to med school then it won't matter, but what if you don't end up going for some reason? You need to have a solid career as a backup. Music therapy is cool and all but nothing matters when you are a jobless 26-year-old still living in your parents' basement. If you love music that much, do it as a hobby, just not as a career.

Skills acquired in college matter far more than the actual major.