Pharmacy Trouble deciding between schools - CU or Regis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have recently been accepted to both pharmacy schools in Colorado but am having trouble deciding. I live close to both, however CU is less expensive than Regis I'm guessing because Regis is a private school. I have interests in exploring pharmacogenomics as this is up and coming, this is important to me as the market is pretty saturated. I also wouldn't mind, however, getting a certification in healthcare administration since my dream would be to work a clinic in a mountain town. Any advice to make this decision easier/clarify any misconceptions? Thanks!
Is one of these schools way better than the other? If not, would go with the cheaper option.

Members don't see this ad.

CU is actually cheaper than Regis is since it is a state school and Regis is a private school. The decision seems clear cut but I am struggling with decision as Regis has been nothing but supportive and they have smaller class sizes. However I worry I would have a harder time securing a job/residency than I would at CU since it is more well known.
CU.
[/discussion]

Members don't see this ad :)
In this comparison, I would look at 3 things when looking at each school in this tight job market:

1) Regional Accreditation (both have this so its a wash)

2) NAPLEX pass rate --> NAPLEX-Pass-Rates-2020.pdf (nabp.pharmacy)

3) Cost

Given that CU is cheaper for the same exact degree with the past 3 years of over a 90% NAPLEX pass rate (96.6% / 92.68% / 91.50%) you're hands down better off going there. Regis may have cut back on the class size, but nearly 25% of the class failed to pass the NAPLEX last year since they did the cut-back ( 77%).

Not that I think it matters that much in today's market, but CU is ranked a bit higher than Regis according to U.S. News & World Report:

Best Pharmacy Programs - Top Health Schools - US News Rankings

My Conclusion: CU over Regis

Status
Not open for further replies.