Trouble distinguishing answers for Linguistic Relativity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

This question was from the AAMC FL 2, PS # 9

I know that the linguistic relativity hypothesis (language influences thought) is essentially a lesse severe version of linguistic determinism (language determines thought).

I'm having trouble understanding why D is the answer here.

Would A and C be considered examples of linguistic determinism? Since they are essentially saying that certain languages do or do not have words that describe physical reality?

And D just seems 'less serious' in distinguishing whether the language correlates to physical reality? haha I'm not really sure if what I'm asking is clear

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, another question from AAMC FL 2 PS 30

I put B, because they didn't really clearly explain what "critically evaluate". I know that Group Polarization describes the process where, when in a group of people with similar views, the group view becomes stronger and more opposed to alternatives. This would make B correct in my opinion, because the group is more likely to oppose alternative ideas raised. On the other hand, if by "critically evaluate" they just meant considering new options, that would prove my reasoning incorrect.

I didn't even think of social loafing for this question. I don't even think the answer provides strong reasoning, because social loafing describes the process where individuals feel less need to contribute when working on a project, not necessarily that they would generate more ideas if not in a group.

Regardless, there is nothing in the question stem that would prime you to think of social loafing over group polarization.