Trouble finding job!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a job (full time) in a health setting in the philly area. I have NO experience in a clinical setting and I don't have any clinical skills so I'm having a lot of trouble finding a job. I'm looking for anything that will give me even minimal contact with patients (e.g. clerk in hospital, clinical research, etc). The only jobs that consider me are research jobs (the mol. bio. type), but i'm not interested.

Any ideas or help on how to find a job ASAP would really be really appreciated.

~Lubdubb

Members don't see this ad.

You could apply to be a nursing assistant or something equivalent. This is very low-level stuff, only requires a H.S. diploma, but it would definitely give you clinical experience. I did this one summer in an orthopedic hospital in the surgery department and was hired without previous experience. The pay is not good, though. Some hospitals might also hire you as a patient care technician and then provide training for you to get your certification.

I was looking for a job earlier this summer, and I had some luck getting interviews from the med schools/hospitals in Philly. As a Penn graduate, I focused on the University of Pennsylvania's Human Resources site, but I also tried Jeff, Drexel, and Temple. Penn has the largest hospital system in the city, and it has a whole bunch of listings. Lots were for bench research jobs, but I was able to find a few clinical job listings and I did notice some jobs for medical clerks requiring only high school educations.

And really, if you do find that you can't get the clinical job you want, I'd go for one of the regular research tech jobs and go volunteer at the hospital. Also, if you do become an employee of Penn, you could also try enrolling in BBB 490 with your tuition benefit. That course sticks you in the ER to interview patients for clinical studies. You can actually do that as a volunteer also. The course does have a waiting list, though, and you can't just sign up -- you need to contact the doctor in charge of it all. Although the experience does sound a lot better on paper than in does in real life, it's a pretty good experience and a nice resume builder.