Trouble with mcat low score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some good feedback!! I have taken the mcat 3 times (2 on the old scale). No matter what I try, I cannot seem to score over a 22 on the old scale. I was taking the NS fls and made 500-506 on all of them. But when I took the mcat last month, I made a 495. I don't need help with the material. I have a disconnect when it comes to reading the passages and choosing the best answer. I have already filled out my DO application, so I am going to go ahead and apply. But I want to start studying to take the January 2017.

Please, if you have any negative comments, keep them to yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I need some good feedback!! I have taken the mcat 3 times (2 on the old scale). No matter what I try, I cannot seem to score over a 22 on the old scale. I was taking the NS fls and made 500-506 on all of them. But when I took the mcat last month, I made a 495. I don't need help with the material. I have a disconnect when it comes to reading the passages and choosing the best answer. I have already filled out my DO application, so I am going to go ahead and apply. But I want to start studying to take the January 2017.

Okay, I will be that guy.. If you have taken the MCAT 3 times and can't break the 500 threshold, then maybe you should look into another profession. The inability to succeed at the MCAT is indicative of severe deficiencies in your education and test taking abilities. You say that you understand the material, but you obviously don't or you wouldn't be scoring below average repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Okay, I will be that guy.. If you have taken the MCAT 3 times and can't break the 500 threshold, then maybe you should look into another profession. The inability to succeed at the MCAT is indicative of severe deficiencies in your education and test taking abilities. You say that you understand the material, but you obviously don't or you wouldn't be scoring below average repeatedly.

I don't really want to say negative things but maybe it is time that you should look into podiatry.
If you sincerely want medicine, it's going to be an uphill battle, I would say it's very hard since adcoms won't look positively on those 3 mcats scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really want to say negative things but maybe it is time that you should look into podiatry.
If you sincerely want medicine, it's going to be an uphill battle, I would say it's very hard since adcoms won't look positively on those 3 mcats scores.

I mean even a 510 after 3 495s averages out to like a 498. I would suggest PA or NP instead of DPM just because feet are nasty.

Reactions: 4 users

You need to look at things realistically. Success in medicine (MD/DO) is heavily contingent upon standardized test performance. If you can't perform adequately on the MCAT, how are you going to perform adequately on your boards (USMLE/COMLEX)? Look at Plan B alternatives. (PA, NP, etc.) Maybe you can perform better on the GRE vs the MCAT. Bottom line, it is competitive to get into the health care field. For example, even for the PA program at the University of Colorado, they receive 1,570 apps and only admit 44. (Successful applicants have a 3.7 GPA coupled with scores in the 70th percentile on the GRE.)

I mean even a 510 after 3 495s averages out to like a 498. I would suggest PA or NP instead of DPM just because feet are nasty.

On the other hand, I think they are impressive lol. I was at National Podiatry Conference the other month and they show some goodddddd surgical stuffs....
That's just another options for OP if he still want to be a doctor, or foot and ankle surgeons

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely not having a SOLID grasp of the material. I'd say that any score below 500 OR any science section below an 8 shows that you do not have a solid grasp of the material. It has having a hard time extrapolating and reading the science material means that you don't understand it to the extent needed for a good score. Having a "problem" wit choosing the best answer clear demonstrates lack of knowledge of concepts tested and poor testing taking skills, which both go hand in hand if you want a good score.

I can't sugar coat...I can't recommend applying to any med school, as I believe that you will be autorejected from every school. Even LUCOM has standards.

Time for Plan B

People seem to have trouble keeping negative comments to themselves....You're supposed to be supportive of fellow pre-meds, not discourage them....."So, as long as you score between a 488-491 on your MCAT (which would put you in the bottom tenth percentile of all test-takers), you are unlikely to drop out, you're likely to graduate (admittedly in 5 years, but you will graduate), and you're even likely to pass the USMLE step 1 on your first attempt"

Reactions: 8 users
If you can't improve your score, you should research mission based schools, or even look in to Caribbean schools....You should NOT give up on your dream of becoming a physician if that is what you truly want to do...It can take a lot of extra work, but if you're sure that it's what you want to do, don't let any of those who commented before me convince you to do something else, the only one who knows your capabilities is YOU

I think one of your issues is definitely science content, if you're consistently scoring below the 50th percentile. But, also, standardized testing is a skill that some people unconsciously pick up while others need to actually be taught. Have you consider taking an MCAT course? Like Kaplan or Princeton Review?

Kkshake you must be a premed. You're talking craziness. NEVER EVER EVER EVER go to the Caribbean in this day and age. Also, you must be admitted to a school before you can take boards and all medschool in the US will not take too high risk of students without special circumstances. This applicant isn't a special circumstance case. They have proven time and time again that they will struggle with standardized tests. Adcoms would be crazy to take a 3 time substandard score. If they applied with just the 495, then I could see one of the brand new schools going out on a limb. But for a 495 to be the top score after 3 retakes, no way.

Reactions: 5 users
People seem to have trouble keeping negative comments to themselves....You're supposed to be supportive of fellow pre-meds, not discourage them....."So, as long as you score between a 488-491 on your MCAT (which would put you in the bottom tenth percentile of all test-takers), you are unlikely to drop out, you're likely to graduate (admittedly in 5 years, but you will graduate), and you're even likely to pass the USMLE step 1 on your first attempt"

The responses have not been particularly negative. They have been honest, and in my opinion full of some good advice. It is far more harmful to encourage him/her to spend thousands of dollars and a years of their life pursuing something that is extremely unlikely to happen.

The graphic/info you posted is likely true, but not particularly relevant to admissions. It may be true that 10th percentile MCAT scorers would be able to perform in medical school, but with the pool of applicants being what it is every year, adcoms have no incentive to take a risk on a student with those types of scores.

OP, I would start working on plan B. Mine would have been podiatry (still a doctor, you get to do surgeries, etc) but it's probably time to start exploring what that might be for you. Good luck whatever you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
My post was to illustrate that the MCAT and USMLE scores have virtually no correlation. There is nothing wrong with applying to accredited Caribbean medical schools. And people are telling this person to change their career goals based solely on their MCAT score. Your MCAT score only defines you as an applicant for schools that screen out with minimum scores. It can definitely be harmful to their application, but they may have other experiences that make them qualified to a committee to attend the school.

Reactions: 2 users
There is everything wrong with applying to an accredited Caribbean school. Look at the stats. Only half make it through and then half of those get residencies. Caribbean was a great option in the 90s and 2000s but with More American schools opening up the risk is too high. The ones that make it through and get a residency is great and they deserve everything they have worked for but for the thousands of students that don't make it and end up in a pile of debt is ridiculous. Caribbean practices are predatory on people's dreams.

Also, with the merger occurring Caribbean students seem to be getting an even shorter end of the stick.

Well, let's be realistic here. As a PA I routinely evaluate feet. Just sayin'.

Though I can appreciate your optimism, I do have a few things to say about the bolded.

1. You're technically "unlikely to drop out" due to academic reasons since the odds are approximately 1 in 7, but you're over twice as likely to drop out as the next lowest scoring group. Not favorable odds when you're up against students that are statistically ten times less likely to drop out due to academic reasons.

2. If you were an adcom, would you want to bring in students that have a 1 in 3 chance of not graduating? Probably not. Technically still "likely" to graduate in 5, but if you were to admit 30 of these students into a class of 100, you would "likely" not graduate 10% of the entire class, before accounting for any of the other 70 students. Not good at all, my friend. Not good.

3. It's almost shameful to call 51% "likely" when talking about passing USMLE on your first attempt. Having taken boards in two different areas of allied health, if a school told me their students have a first time pass rate of 51%, I would frankly tell them I wasn't interested. You have pretty much the same odds at winning a red/black bet at roulette as you would have at not passing USMLE on the first attempt. Not good.

It may seem like everyone is giving "negative" advice, but in all honesty, it's just realistic. It's not a good idea to go into medicine thinking the entire world is good and just and fair and that optimism will always trump negativity. Sometimes you lose. I'm not going to say OP should not try to become a doctor, but I'm also not going to tell him/her if he/she wants it enough and dreams hard enough and studies hard enough and takes the MCAT again that it will happen. Because that's dumb. OP, if you really want to become a doctor, give it your best shot and do as much as you are willing and able to afford. It probably won't work out, so have a plan B. Crazy things happen in med school admissions. But more often than not, you're not an outlier.

Also, a last anecdote regarding Caribbean schools. I work with 3 people that attended Caribbean med school. 2 graduated. All are very intelligent and good at their jobs. But we're not physicians. We all have pretty much the same job, and my bachelor's degree (which technically isn't even a minimum requirement of the role) is a lot easier to pay off than their doctorates. So yeah, avoid the Caribbean. Unless you're the type that could go to the racetrack, bet your life savings plus a lot of money you don't have on a 8:1 underdog, and walk away saying "meh, coulda been worse".

Last edited:
OP, do not, do NOT go to the Caribbean. I know it sounds tempting, especially after taking this stupid test for a third time. I know you wanna get on with your life. As someone who utterly failed the MCAT, I know all too well the temptation of wanting to go Caribbean. You have to resist that.

You MCAT is really bad. My belief is, you either take it again (ACOM told me last week they had someone take the MCAT 7 times and got in), or you cut your losses and find something else.

As someone who also struggles with reading, I have some recommendations for you. There are a couple ways to move foreword with your life if medicine is still what you want, and you see yourself being a "doctor".

1) The best option, as others have mentioned, is podiatry school. If you still want that shot at being a surgeon, operating in the OR, wearing the white coat, and being called doctor, being a podiatrist seems like a good way to go. I have family who couldn't get into medical school who are now pods and they seem to have a pretty sweet work schedule. she is more conservative in treatment approach and doesn't do a whole lot of surgery, but as a pod, you can be as busy as you want, or have a much more relaxed schedule than many other surgeons in healthcare.

Podiatry is a legitimate aspiration. Don't feel like a lesser person for choosing to go that route. People really underestimate their feet until its too late, you can make a difference in the lives of others as a pod. No, you probably won't save a life (although ankle trauma is a thing), no you probably won't be preforming surgery on famous actors, and no, you will never be that prestigious brain surgeon that everyone at the next family wedding talks about, but you will make a good living (130k+) and you still get to be a "doctor"

2) Dentistry, Optometry, or Pharmacy. These are all doctorate programs that have much easier entrance exams, with a lot less reading and critical thinking. There are many pharm schools (good ones too) that don't even require the PCAT. Beware with these however, as saturation is starting to encroach these specialties.

3) Midlevel PA or NP.

I think one of your issues is definitely science content, if you're consistently scoring below the 50th percentile. But, also, standardized testing is a skill that some people unconsciously pick up while others need to actually be taught. Have you consider taking an MCAT course? Like Kaplan or Princeton Review?
Do they teach testing skills? I don't want to drop 2K that I don't actually have on just material. I have a 4.0 science and math gpa. I understood the concepts quite clearly. I don't know why I can't apply them to the mcat

How do I make an A in all the required + classes and don't fully understand the concepts?

Firstly, thanks for all the fantastic replies. That was sarcasm (save for those that were actually considerate of my current position). I know I am not competitive and I am very aware of my chances once I get into medical school. I do have an issue with taking standardized exams (yes I know they are part of medicine, but they are also part of many professions as well) I have a 4.0 in math and sciences. I believe I would have failed a long time ago if couldn't grasp these concepts. PA is out bc they do not like med school applicants that use them as a back up. Honestly, no offense to all the wonderful professions in medicine. But if I can't be a doctor, I will probably be unhappy perusing any other aspect of medicine. I DO NOT want to give up. Especially after all this time and effort. I have sacrificed so much and worked too hard to have my dreams crushed by this one darn exam. If no one has any helpful ideas for getting a better score, please do not respond.

Do they teach testing skills? I don't want to drop 2K that I don't actually have on just material. I have a 4.0 science and math gpa. I understood the concepts quite clearly. I don't know why I can't apply them to the mcat

If you have a high GPA, there will be some low-tier DO schools that will take you regardless of your mediocre MCAT. Heck, a friend of mine with a 3.4/496 got accepted to a DO school last cycle.

As someone who had significant issues but improved on my MCAT retake I feel you. But only you can really figure out where your problems lie. If you were scoring over 500 on NS FLs you should have broken 500 as if anything those are slightly deflated. Did you take any AAMC material? Any other scores? Test anxiety? Health/personal issues? Anything like that may be detrimental. The MCAT is a beast, and the new one is more difficult but ultimately conquerable.

You would probably get better advice posting and utilizing resources on the MCAT forum here and/or reddit though.

Last edited:

How do I make an A in all the required + classes and don't fully understand the concepts?

I believe you may know the concepts but maybe you're not understanding it well enough to apply it to various scenarios. What most people don't realize is that the MCAT requires little knowledge about the different subjects. There are very few questions that actually require textbook knowledge and regurgitation of information. The majority of the questions test whether or not you can reason through a passage. They test whether or not you can reason through potential missteps in an experiment. At least that's how it is for the MCAT 2015. And that's where you may benefit with MCAT courses. Since it's a standardized test, there are consistent categories of answers that the MCAT will give to entrap you. MCAT courses are meant to help you identify those traps so that even if you don't know the right answer, you can build a strong intuition for what the wrong answers are.

Last edited:
Knowing the materials for the class and using them for the MCAT is two different stories OP. I know everything for physiology and anatomy, but MCAT question went beyond that levels. It requires more than knowing and understanding. It requires critical thinking and be able to mix all those concepts you learn in basic science and apply to the problem they presents.

If you still want to go medicine, you can give yourself a try at retake, then if it's 500 or above, shoot for DO schools. If this is your passion, then it will work out. I believe in "you choose a career, but a career needs to choose you too". After all, not everyone wants to be a doctor can FINISH being a doctor.

No one can tell you what to do best OP, it's you to decide what is best. We simply just give you honest advice.

One thing I found out from the Mcat is that it is very little recalling actual facts, but reading the passage and reasoning to the right answer while knowing everything at all times.

For example, a question could ask what the effect of increasing vasopressin could have on the central nervous system. U not only have to know about the function of vasopressin, but what the nervous systems involvement is. So if vasopressin goes up, dopamine goes down, which leads to an increase in chemical X. That kind of stuff.

The mcat is the toughest non professional test you will ever take. If this is what you want, go for it.

I received a 492 on my first test, and then a 500 on my second. Although a 500 is pretty average, it was double the percentile of my initial score. So what helped me improve was when looking at the answer choices I narrowed it down between two answers and between those two I thought about which one was the distractor. The distractor usually has information that seems familiar to the reader, like they pull out parts of quotes from the passage. But I began to look and understand how they manipulated those distractor answers and understood how they were wrong. Another thing I did was if I couldn't decide between the two answers, I would choose the answer that was higher on the page so as to eliminate bias for a possible distractor. This improved both my Psych and CARS sections dramatically. Psych was actually initially my lowest scoring section and then became my highest scoring section. The only section that this strategy didn't help me improve in was chemistry, and I think it's because chemistry is a more of an either you know it or you don't. I used a Kaplan course before y first MCAT and thought it was essentially a waste of ~$1500. But that's my own experience, and everyone learns differently.

I received a 492 on my first test, and then a 500 on my second. Although a 500 is pretty average, it was double the percentile of my initial score. So what helped me improve was when looking at the answer choices I narrowed it down between two answers and between those two I thought about which one was the distractor. The distractor usually has information that seems familiar to the reader, like they pull out parts of quotes from the passage. But I began to look and understand how they manipulated those distractor answers and understood how they were wrong. Another thing I did was if I couldn't decide between the two answers, I would choose the answer that was higher on the page so as to eliminate bias for a possible distractor. This improved both my Psych and CARS sections dramatically. Psych was actually initially my lowest scoring section and then became my highest scoring section. The only section that this strategy didn't help me improve in was chemistry, and I think it's because chemistry is a more of an either you know it or you don't. I used a Kaplan course before y first MCAT and thought it was essentially a waste of ~$1500. But that's my own experience, and everyone learns differently.

I also took the Kaplan course and scored a 490. Kaplan was a huge wast of time and money.

Op, if you are gonna go the route of test prep, I recommend exam krackers. They are much more focused and emphasis mcat think rather than route memorization. And their FLs are really good at getting you to decipher graphs.

As someone who had significant issues but improved on my MCAT retake I feel you. But only you can really figure out where your problems lie. If you were scoring over 500 on NS FLs you should have broken 500 as if anything those are slightly deflated. Did you take any AAMC material? Any other scores? Test anxiety? Health/personal issues? Anything like that may be detrimental. The MCAT is a beast, and the new one is more difficult but ultimately conquerable.

You would probably get better advice posting and utilizing resources on the MCAT forum here and/or reddit though.
The first two times I took it I royally screwed it up. I ran out of time on the first one and didn't answer one whole discrete set. The second I should've voided due to test anxiety and overall stress (I took it 2 months after my first; stupid on my part) This time there was a horrible accident, involving a member of my nuclear family, the morning before the test. I'm not saying these are excuses; but they did all play a factor.

One thing I found out from the Mcat is that it is very little recalling actual facts, but reading the passage and reasoning to the right answer while knowing everything at all times.

For example, a question could ask what the effect of increasing vasopressin could have on the central nervous system. U not only have to know about the function of vasopressin, but what the nervous systems involvement is. So if vasopressin goes up, dopamine goes down, which leads to an increase in chemical X. That kind of stuff.

The mcat is the toughest non professional test you will ever take. If this is what you want, go for it.
I do realize many many questions are reasoning beyond or within the text. This is where I have an issue. I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource(s) or tips that can help

I do realize many many questions are reasoning beyond or within the text. This is where I have an issue. I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource(s) or tips that can help

Unfortunately there really is no "cheat code" or "brain hack" for this type of stuff. It's all cerebral, frontal brain workings, and the best way to improve is to take thousands of practice passages. Some people just aren't gifted with that kind of brainpower, I know I am not. I can much easily recall certain facts than reason through a dense passage of critical thinking.

what was your CARS score? If your problem is reading comprehension, the only thing to do is practice. read widely, and practice cars everyday. Poor reading comprehension will drag you down on the all the sections.

Agreed reading comprehension is a big factor on the MCAT, and if you know you have content down and youre still receiving these scores it could easily be that. Are you a frequent reader? Do you struggle interpreting scientific articles and data? If so there are resources you can utilize to improve.

Some have suggested an MCAT course, such as kaplan. I used it and thought the "lessons" they teach about test taking skills to be a waste. However test taking skills werent were i was lacking, content was. I enjoyed their foundations courses and MCAT channel, not to mention they include all of the AAMC material which is a big plus. I personally wasnt a big fan on their practice tests, as they were completed different and for most are severely deflated. However i ended up scoring worse on kaplan than the real thing so who knows. The book set was meh, nothing you couldnt get from anywhere else + kahn academy though.

OP a 4th MCAT retake after 3 horrible scores is not gonna do you much. You would have to pull a complete 180 and pull some insane score off to be considered competitive depending on the school. Take some time to think about what you really want to do before you continue to pursue this path.

Yes, I can only speak to Kaplan, but they teach testing skills. And though it seems less convenient, after this many attempts, I think the in person class (versus online options) would give you the best shot.

There's nothing wrong with going the podiatrist route if you really want to be a doctor. They can do surgery and also sports medicine which would be interesting (at least for me) plus they pull in 150-200k. If you have a 4.0 and have scored that poorly on the MCAT then maybe it just isn't meant to be and you should cut your losses and go podiatry or PA. For the record PA school is not a no go because they don't want people who use it as a backup. Just don't say it's your back up plan lol

I think the concern with the PA thing is that many of the schools that offer MD and DO are also the same ones that offer PA, so if you applied for MD and DO and didn't get accepted and then applied for PA they would automatically see that PA was the back up plan

I think the concern with the PA thing is that many of the schools that offer MD and DO are also the same ones that offer PA, so if you applied for MD and DO and didn't get accepted and then applied for PA they would automatically see that PA was the back up plan
So you're saying apply to PA schools that are different from the MD and DO programs I already applied for?? I'm sure one of the questions on the application is "Have you ever applied to an MD/DO school"

There's nothing wrong with going the podiatrist route if you really want to be a doctor. They can do surgery and also sports medicine which would be interesting (at least for me) plus they pull in 150-200k. If you have a 4.0 and have scored that poorly on the MCAT then maybe it just isn't meant to be and you should cut your losses and go podiatry or PA. For the record PA school is not a no go because they don't want people who use it as a backup. Just don't say it's your back up plan lol

No there is nothing wrong with it, especially if you want to do surgery. But I do not want surgery. If I can't get into a DO school, I will take a different road. Thanks

Before I speak of Kaplan courses, I have to be blunt. I am super optimistic and I believe if you get 515 or so, you have a chance to get into a DO school(Although it is statistically unlikely). If you have a story to tell, you have a chance BUT understand, going from a 495 to 515 is a percentile jump of 35th to 94(almost 60 percentile jump) which is massive. I mean statistically that is incredibly unlikely BUT you can take a shot anyways if you really want to try once more.
Now for Kaplan, look the kaplan course actually doesn't have much science context in it. What I mean by that is, it doesn't teach you in depth anatomy, physiology, and structures. It's very surface levels with a few things here and there going in depth. I took the Kaplan course before I had Biochem, Psychology, sociology, and the last section of organic chemistry, so you can imagine I had a ton of gaps. However one thing Kaplan taught me was the test taking strategy which is insanely important for the MCAT.
-Time balance
-Skipping difficult questions and being able to identify them quickly
-Amazing ways to remember different hormones, pathways, etc.
Again people think it's simple but it really isn't. That course took me from the first score of a 483(first practice test ever) to a score of a 504 on the real MCAT(and that was with a massive screw up in CARS of 123 even though on practice, I was getting usually 80-85% correct). Again It was a HUGEEEE benefit to me to be honest and I do believe it is incredibly useful. It got me over my test anxiety, gave me confidence and I am where I got today because of Kaplan helping me along the way. Don't get me wrong, I put in 500 hours+ of studying and a ton of practice tests, but it all paid off. I do believe Kaplan is incredibly useful and it won't just be a recap of your college years.

No there is nothing wrong with it, especially if you want to do surgery. But I do not want surgery. If I can't get into a DO school, I will take a different road. Thanks

there is optometry for non surgical clinical medicine

I didn't have time to read through all other replies so excuse me if it's repetitive.
I think the key for improving a Mcat score is to really sit down and evaluate EVERYTHING. get a list of topics covered by Mcat. Active reading (take notes while u read) and study those notes afterwards or the month leading to the exam. Make sure u check off all the topics covered. Spend around two months for practicing (FL and individual passages). A month before the exam take FL every 3-4 days. A week before the exam, do not write any FL but review cue cards, study notes for things that need to be memorized. Focus on fixing ur weakest section.

I think the biggest key is to also adjust ur mindset. Embrace the challenge and prepare for the exam with the mentality of a winner. Go in the exam and ace it. I went from a 22 to 515. I know the feeling of low Mcat scores and I have corrected my approach. Cheer up and continue to work hard. Adcoms may see u differently if u score a 90th or above for ur next attempt. (It's hard but it's possible and in my opinion can overcome ur multiple low scores.)

You may also want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/multiple-mcat-scores.1201882/

Where some adcoms have said they wouldn't even look at an application after 3 MCAT attempts. Some schools average MCATs even if they say they look at the most recent attempt, so even if you did really well on your fourth try, your MCAT average would likely still be on the low side. Definitely consider the PA/NP/Pod route. I would agree with everyone else that Caribbean schools should be avoided at all costs.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Not sure why Kaplan has been mentioned so much here. It is the worst test prep available for this exam.

Not sure why Kaplan has been mentioned so much here. It is the worst test prep available for this exam.
I absolutely loved Kaplan! So I really can't complain. I went up around 60 percentile(started at 7th percentile and got to 67th) and that was with bombing a single section that I usually do incredibly well at. It was more due to the strategy I picked rather than Kaplans fault. However I truly loved the class, teachers and overall help from them.

I absolutely loved Kaplan! So I really can't complain. I went up around 60 percentile(started at 7th percentile and got to 67th) and that was with bombing a single section that I usually do incredibly well at. It was more due to the strategy I picked rather than Kaplans fault. However I truly loved the class, teachers and overall help from them.
The problem that I have with them is that their practice exams are not representative at all of the actual MCAT.

Barron's does a pretty good review, with tests that are a lot like the actual MCAT

TBR can trained you to think for the MCAT!! It helps me solidify my knowledge as well. I did not take any test prep course and make 70th percentile on actual MCAT

Because your undergrad is inflated. Honestly someone who actually understands the material should be able to at least hit 500. There is a big difference between actually knowing and understanding something and being able to regurgitate it on an undergrad test largely made up of first and second order questions.

The first two times I took it I royally screwed it up. I ran out of time on the first one and didn't answer one whole discrete set. The second I should've voided due to test anxiety and overall stress (I took it 2 months after my first; stupid on my part) This time there was a horrible accident, involving a member of my nuclear family, the morning before the test. I'm not saying these are excuses; but they did all play a factor.

Unfortunately all this makes it even worse because it shows poor decision making. You took a major high stakes career deciding exam in the midst of issues that were going to definitely affect your score. You did this not only once but three times.

You aren't going to like my post because it is realistic but it is time for plan B.

Reactions: 7 users
Because your undergrad is inflated. Honestly someone who actually understands the material should be able to at least hit 500. There is a big difference between actually knowing and understanding something and being able to regurgitate it on an undergrad test largely made up of first and second order questions.

Unfortunately all this makes it even worse because it shows poor decision making. You took a major high stakes career deciding exam in the midst of issues that were going to definitely affect your score. You did this not only once but three times.

You aren't going to like my post because it is realistic but it is time for plan B.

You have a horrific way of extrapolating the worst from my situation. Firstly, my undergrad is NOT inflated. I studied for countless hours and spent actual quality time with my teachers and peers both in helping me to find a good concrete grasp on the material and helping my peers do the same. All while working full time; I might add. You appear to lack the quality of empathy; which is really quite sad for you. From what you said, it seems like you read what you wanted and inferred the worst and degrading scenario possible. I thought this forum existed to support one another. Not to be a cynical and heartless *censored*. Furthermore, two people actually liked your post; agreeing with your demeaning viewpoints. The fact that you are most readily able to make such harsh assumptions about someone you know nothing of shows that you take external factors and automatically apply them to the internal qualities of an individual. This further supports your inability to take the perspective of another; making you extremely egocentric. A quality that no physician should have. I definitely should've voided the second mcat I took. However, until you can put yourself in an other person's shoes during those brief moments when one is deciding if they should void all the hard work they have done, even when they feel decent about the exam; you should keep your belittling comments to yourself.

Last edited:
You have a horrific way of extrapolating the worst from my situation. Firstly, my undergrad is NOT inflated. I studied for countless hours and spent actual quality time with my teachers and peers both in helping me to find a good concrete grasp on the material and helping my peers do the same. All while working full time; I might add. You appear to lack the quality of empathy; which is really quite sad for you. From what you said, it seems like you read what you wanted and inferred the worst and degrading scenario possible. I thought this forum existed to support one another. Not to be a cynical and heartless *censored*. Furthermore, two people actually liked your post; agreeing with your demeaning viewpoints. The fact that you are most readily able to make such harsh assumptions about someone you know nothing of shows that you take external factors and automatically apply them to the internal qualities of an individual. This further supports your inability to take the perspective of another; making you extremely egocentric. A quality that no physician should have. I definitely should've voided the second mcat I took. However, until you can put yourself in an other person's shoes during those brief moments when one is deciding if they should void all the hard work they have done, even when they feel decent about the exam; you should keep your belittling comments to yourself.

I agree with you. You can understand the science behind what is tested and still come up short on the mcat because it's just that difficult of a test. Like I said, I've been there too.

However, I strongly disagree with you not having a backup plan. The people telling you to look into plan B are not malicious in their intent, the genuinely want to help. Do not let your 4.0 GPA ego get in the way of clouding your judgement.

With that said, I disagree with the majority on here. I think you should take the mcat again and score higher and go to med school.