Trouble With The Dry Erase Marker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been practicing full length tests with a laminated sheet and new dry erase markers to simulate test day, but every time I do the markers (both of them) dry out way too fast.

I know that capping them regularly is important but in sections where I need to keep the marker open for a long time (PAT and QR) they run out so fast that I lose time and panic because I can't write with either marker.

I was taking a CDP test last week and they dry out super fast during cube counting. To go fast, I can't really open and close it between ticks so it just sits open and by the second or third figure...both my pens are dry.

Is there any way to prevent both of my pens drying out?

Members don't see this ad.

u just need to cap them. on the actual DAT one of my two markers decided to die on me in the middle of PAT so i was frantically stabbing the laminated sheet repeatedly to get it to work i was so mad, they just tend to not work either unless u hold them a specific way like i had to hold my marker totally upright bc if i held it like a regular pencil/pen/ kinda slanted......the effing thing wouldnt work.
cap ur pens man.

u just need to cap them. on the actual DAT one of my two markers decided to die on me in the middle of PAT so i was frantically stabbing the laminated sheet repeatedly to get it to work i was so mad, they just tend to not work either unless u hold them a specific way like i had to hold my marker totally upright bc if i held it like a regular pencil/pen/ kinda slanted......the effing thing wouldnt work.
cap ur pens man.

I hear you. It was so freaking frustrating because I lost so much time on such an easy section. I use the pens for hole punching too and I'm starting to get a little worried about what will happen during the real test.

Do they give you new pens ones (doubtful) or old?
You only get 2 pens, 2 laminated sheets, and 1 eraser right?
Can you ask for new stuff during the break?

I hear you. It was so freaking frustrating because I lost so much time on such an easy section. I use the pens for hole punching too and I'm starting to get a little worried about what will happen during the real test.

Do they give you new pens ones (doubtful) or old?
You only get 2 pens, 2 laminated sheets, and 1 eraser right?
Can you ask for new stuff during the break?

double when are you takin the dat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to change the subject, but what part of the PAT do you use markers on? The hole punching?

Sorry to change the subject, but what part of the PAT do you use markers on? The hole punching?

Hole punching and cube counting. Sometimes I like to write down the number of one that I guessed on so I can go back to it directly if I have time.

Hey Guys,

I've been practicing full length tests with a laminated sheet and new dry erase markers to simulate test day, but every time I do the markers (both of them) dry out way too fast.

I know that capping them regularly is important but in sections where I need to keep the marker open for a long time (PAT and QR) they run out so fast that I lose time and panic because I can't write with either marker.

I was taking a CDP test last week and they dry out super fast during cube counting. To go fast, I can't really open and close it between ticks so it just sits open and by the second or third figure...both my pens are dry.

Is there any way to prevent both of my pens drying out?

Caping is the best method. Teach yourself to cap&uncap quickly. Don't cap them so hard that you'll need a jack-hammer to un-cap them. Just put the cap on gently that way, it opens up quickly without effort..... You should practice this.

The girl at my testing center was so sweet, she gave me like 3-4 markers, and another 2-3 during the break. Wellllll I was flirting with her, that probably helped lol.

The girl at my testing center was so sweet, she gave me like 3-4 markers, and another 2-3 during the break. Wellllll I was flirting with her, that probably helped lol.

Ok! Flirt = get extra markers!

I will have to remember this one :laugh: