troubles with the law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc057619

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i apologize for posting this in two forums, but i figured med students may know more about it. when i was a junior in college i was arrested for possession of marijuana while being stupid. it was isolated and i was not convicted. i didn't mention it to med school, because i never had a drug problem, which they did ask about, and i was never convicted of any drug offenses. i've looked up laws and the only thing that it says is they can keep you from getting a medical lisense if you were convicted for a drug offense. i've already been accepted to medical school, and i'm soooooo not a druggie or anything. is this anything that can kill me down the road, or will people understand that it was just something stupid that i did when i was a kid if it ever came up and will the fact that i wasn't convicted make it a nonevent. i'm working on getting whatever record there is expunged. i realize a lot of you are bursting at the seams to tell me i'm doomed for a life in custodial work, but i also know there are some people out there that will give me a straight, nonjudgemental answer. this is what i am seeking.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...

I posted in the Everybody forum so won't reiterate my answer except to say that if you weren't convicted and its a problem which has been successfully dealt with, then I have no problems with you practicing medicine. I do suspect others will however, as there are plenty of judgemental med students and physicians out there. Proceed with caution in whom you tell my friend.