Truck minded people: Help me decide what to buy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WallowaWanderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I know I'm going to D-town, and now that I've got a house, it's time to turn my attention towards replacing my old beat up 1995 Nissan Hardbody pickup. I bought it used for 5 bills 6.5 years ago with 99,000 miles, and I've put about 70K on it. It's starting to make some strange noises, and I would rather not hang around to find out what's causing them.

So here's what I'm trying to decide between:

New 2008 Nissan Titan LE - Cheap, cool looking, questionable reliability

New 2008 Nissan Frontier - it would have to be the crew cab long bed (yuck) in order to fit a baby seat down the road

New 2008 Ford F150 FX-4 - Pretty cool looking, not as cool as the Titan, but much more reliable, more expensive

Used 204-2006 Toyota Tundra - I hate the new Tundras, so it would have to be a used one. This is the cheapest option, about 10-15K less than the above. They are hard to find with leather.

What do you guys think??

Members don't see this ad.

So here's what I'm trying to decide between:

New 2008 Nissan Titan LE - Cheap, cool looking, questionable reliability

New 2008 Nissan Frontier - it would have to be the crew cab long bed (yuck) in order to fit a baby seat down the road

New 2008 Ford F150 FX-4 - Pretty cool looking, not as cool as the Titan, but much more reliable, more expensive

Used 204-2006 Toyota Tundra - I hate the new Tundras, so it would have to be a used one. This is the cheapest option, about 10-15K less than the above. They are hard to find with leather.

What do you guys think??
Titan - I've got a buddy with a Titan. He loves it and swears by it. I think it will be more than reliable enough to get you through residency. Nissan's usually give good service as long as they're taken care of.

Frontier - I agree with your thoughts on the looks of the crew cab. But o/w a good truck.

F-150 - There's a reason the F-150 has been around for years. Enough said. The down side is with the ever rising gas costs.

Tundra - This would be the most economical if you do go with a used one. Good trucks. Not sure I'd want leather in Denver though. It's pretty darn cold in the winter and can melt your legs in summer. :laugh: Yeah, yeah, I know about remote start, but as a resident sometimes you don't have/take time for this. You just jump out of bed and head out the door on the run.

I've always been a GM man myself. Not a huge fan of the looks of the new Silverados but very reliable and good trucks. I think in the end you just have to test drive your choices and then find what fits your needs/wants best w/o breaking the bank too badly.

But that's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. :D

131_0703_03_z+2008_ford_f450_super_duty+front_passenger_side_view.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
international_cxt_3.jpg

As far as what you're buying, ask yourself why you need a truck. I drive a Jeep, so I'm not saying this because I only think Prius owners are smart, etc. If you're not hauling dirty bikes, camping gear, or the like weekly-monthly, do you really need that bed? I've owned 3 trucks and loved them. I've also owned a Ford Xploder that worked just fine, a Saab station wagon, a 68 Impala, and a few others along the way that all were great and didn't really make any difference in my day to day living. That is, except the Impala, because it got me pulled over a lot in the town I went to college in.
So if you need the bed, the smaller trucks, Colorado/Canyon/Dakota/Taco/Frontier will get better mileage. They all come in crew version. The bigger trucks extended cabs will likely be big enough for a car seat, but they're also a lot harder on gas.
If you want to be able to jump curbs or go further offroad, there are plenty of adequate SUVs out there that get similar mileage but have nicer rides due to lack of leaf springs in the back, and usually have nicer interiors.
Station wagons will increase your mileage 50-100% and give you plenty of interior room, at the expense of ride height. Many can come with AWD to help with those icy winters. Subaru has a fairly nice lineup, if you don't actually look at the front of their cars (ugly). Their used stuff is very good.
I plan on getting my wife a used BMW 5 series wagon at some point, but we never plan to move somewhere that actually has the winter season.

Then there's always my staple, the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Completely illogical in most situations, but I smile every time I drive it.

So if you need the bed, the smaller trucks, Colorado/Canyon/Dakota/Taco/Frontier will get better mileage.

They do get better mileage, but it's a pretty negligible difference - 12/17 for the Titan and 14/19 for the Frontier. 2 MPG doesn't really make me want to have a smaller truck, which is less off-road capable, with less room for a car-seat and less room for cargo. Also, the smaller trucks have a lot less options - like GPS, tow package, etc. The Taco doesn't offer leather so that's out. My soon-to-be-wife has a Subaru wagon and its great, so that takes the edge off the mileage crunch.

Just not an SUV guy. It's gotta be a truck.

I just did the whole truck research and buying thing.
Let me say this, my whole life I wanted a Tacoma, for the last four years I was telling my wife how I'm going to get Tacoma.

So I do the research for ~1mo, and narrow it down to Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma for value, size, MPG, resale value etc.

Go out and test drive both trucks, and by far IMHO the Nissan Frontier was much better. Power, size, style, COST, extras and rebates, plus dealers incentives clearly better.

So I got a 2008 Nissan Frontier SE (King Cab).

As far as a child seat, It WILL fit in the King Cab (has a latch system for the back seats).

another good source is www.clubfrontier.com (or .org).

SweeeeT:)

... 2 MPG doesn't really make me want to have a smaller truck, which is less off-road capable.....

Why does the fact that a truck is smaller make it less off-road capable?

Compact trucks (which really aren't that compace anymore) come with off-road packages and locking diffs, just like the big boys. Being slightly smaller does have its advantages off-road, esp if you are talking about narrow trails.
Groud clearance is not really an issue...My stock PreRunner Tacoma sits the same height as most stock fullsize 4wds. It truly pisses my GF's father off that my stock tires are bigger than the ones on his 2500HD.

I'd be willing to bet a Tacoma TRD would go anywhere, if not further, than any fullsize out there.

Buy a 3-5 year old (used) truck with low miles and run it into the ground. Rinse and repeat. Let someone else eat the depreciation of driving the truck off the lot. This is a financially smart thing to do. I'm sure with the money you save you could start/continue building a retirement fund or pay off some debt.

I'd be willing to bet a Tacoma TRD would go anywhere, if not further, than any fullsize out there.

Tacomas are great off-road trucks - my concern is the length of the thing. I would have to get the crew cab long bed, and that's a lot of wheelbase for it's width.

This thread just made me think of one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmYa28H2T0

Also, I owned a Frontier for several years and loved it. In fact, I miss it a lot. It did great off-road, BTW. But, man those F150's are very nice. Great problem to have weighing the pluses and minuses for these trucks. Let us know what you decide.

chevrolet silverado. best fuel economy in its class, not to mention the best looking. i have a 2000 extended cab z71 and can't wait till i can afford a new one.

full size nissans are gas hogs, trust me. and nobody in there right mind should ever buy a ford.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from a 'brand new' vehicle. Thats just financial disaster...

I'm a Ford person; the F150 has had only minor changes since 04. I would find a used vehicle a year or so old.

I would stick with an F150 Supercrew 4x4 since your in the north. XLT minimum, Lariat if you like leather (some people just dont).

Our family business is a car dealer (buy/saled wrecked vehicles), and have had best luck with Fords. I wont tell you that Chevy or Dodge sucks, unless we are just having a playful debate, when in reality they are all near the same....

I primiarily drive a F150 Supercrew Lariat, and the woman has a Supercrew King Ranch 4x4... we dont keep cars that long, but we have never had problems with fords. I drove a couple different Super Dutys during medical school... I love the diesels, but gas milege and upkeep gets pricey. The 08 Dutys are cool, but I would stay away from any new line diesel for a while. If you were seriously looking at Dutys, I'd get an 06 or 07 as the kinks were worked out of the 6.0s by then...

Good Luck...

I have an 04 Tundra and love it. My dad has an 02 and loves it too. I agree that the new Tundras are too much. Ditto the Titans.

If I had to get a new truck right now I'd get a Tacoma. They've actually grown to be what the older Tundras were.

I got leather in my Tundra. You couldn't get it factory unless you bought some really spendy package so I got it after market (my wife really wanted it in my truck:rolleyes:??? Long story.) and wouldn't do it again. It's actually cooler than you think but I had cloth in my old Nissan hardbody that I drove for 12 years and no poblems.

international_cxt_3.jpg

As far as what you're buying, ask yourself why you need a truck. I drive a Jeep, so I'm not saying this because I only think Prius owners are smart, etc. If you're not hauling dirty bikes, camping gear, or the like weekly-monthly, do you really need that bed? I've owned 3 trucks and loved them. I've also owned a Ford Xploder that worked just fine, a Saab station wagon, a 68 Impala, and a few others along the way that all were great and didn't really make any difference in my day to day living. That is, except the Impala, because it got me pulled over a lot in the town I went to college in.
So if you need the bed, the smaller trucks, Colorado/Canyon/Dakota/Taco/Frontier will get better mileage. They all come in crew version. The bigger trucks extended cabs will likely be big enough for a car seat, but they're also a lot harder on gas.
If you want to be able to jump curbs or go further offroad, there are plenty of adequate SUVs out there that get similar mileage but have nicer rides due to lack of leaf springs in the back, and usually have nicer interiors.
Station wagons will increase your mileage 50-100% and give you plenty of interior room, at the expense of ride height. Many can come with AWD to help with those icy winters. Subaru has a fairly nice lineup, if you don't actually look at the front of their cars (ugly). Their used stuff is very good.
I plan on getting my wife a used BMW 5 series wagon at some point, but we never plan to move somewhere that actually has the winter season.

Then there's always my staple, the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Completely illogical in most situations, but I smile every time I drive it.

I drive a 2004 Wrangler Sport and I love it. The only problem with it is that it sucks up the gass, it consumes sooo much.
Bought it used with 12 500 Km (I think 2.2 Km= 1 mile but Im not sure, we don't use miles) and it rocks, by the way...yours has its gas pedal soft and the break hard? Mine is like that, I have to push too hard to stop and It starts speeding very easily, not sure if they keep doing the new ones like that.

everyone I know with a newer frontier (n=3) loves it. I almost got me a truck recently and after researching and driving I decided it was probably the most truck for the money, that or the silverado, which was just too big for me.

I'm a Chevy man. '04 four door Silverado. Love it.

Buy a loaded one a year or two old with low mileage. They're great trucks.

Take care,
Jeff

F-150 - There's a reason the F-150 has been around for years. Enough said. The down side is with the ever rising gas costs...
I have one of these, and I've been very happy with it.

...Not sure I'd want leather in Denver though. It's pretty darn cold in the winter and can melt your legs in summer. :laugh:...
From personal experience, sun damage to the leather was more of a problem in Denver than anything else. No amount of Meguiars can stop the stuff from cracking, so it isn't worth the cost.

In general, I would never buy a new car. Devalues ~3k right off the lot.

Having come from a small town, and knowing lots of guys who wear wranglers and kill animals on a regular basis, I know this for a fact... it is un-American to buy a truck from any other company other than Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I have heard first hand accounts that driving foreign made trucks makes your chest hair fall out, shrinks your testicles and gives you over-whelming desires to read Jane Austin books. As a concerned fellow SDNer, I plead with you all to avoid these adverse outcomes at all costs, and to not buy toyota trucks.

We purchased a 2006 F250 super duty crew cab short box 6.0L turbo diesel at the end of the 2006 model year. We got 0% financing for 72 months. When we compared buying this new truck versus a 2-4 year old truck of the same model it was cheaper to go new with the 0% so shop your financing as it can make a big difference.
We drove the Titan, GM and Chevy and based on towing capacity (we pull a car trailer on weekends for racing), ride, ease of finding repair and parts if needed, financing etc we happily went with Ford.
After 2 years with our truck I can not come up with one complaint! We drove it to Miami and I drive it every weekend back to Michigan from Chicago. The truck rides like a dream and it is really quiet too!I get 20mpg highway and about 15mpg city and is big enough in the back for 3 6'+ foot adults.
I should add my husband is a mechanic and based on what he works on at the shop on a regular basis (GM) we were happy to go Ford.

EM-Rebuilder-
We are currently looking for a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L diesel low miles and black with black leather (same as our truck). Maybe a repo or one that needs mechanical work not body. If you have one or know of one drop me a PM!

I think this would be my choice, heck I wouldn't even have to leave the parking lot!

index.htm

Having come from a small town, and knowing lots of guys who wear wranglers and kill animals on a regular basis, I know this for a fact... it is un-American to buy a truck from any other company other than Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I have heard first hand accounts that driving foreign made trucks makes your chest hair fall out, shrinks your testicles and gives you over-whelming desires to read Jane Austin books. As a concerned fellow SDNer, I plead with you all to avoid these adverse outcomes at all costs, and to not buy toyota trucks.

Haha. I've actually come a long way in considering a Ford. It used to be only Nissan or Toyota for me, but the F150 is such a great truck and the reliability has really improved in the last few years.

As you know, the foriegn/domestic dichotomy is not so straightforward, since many foreign vehicles (including the Tundra, Tacoma, Titan, and Frontier) are made in the US and The Big Three use a signifigant percentage of foriegn parts. That being said, it's probably better to buy American. But in reality I'm still going to buy the truck I like the best.

We purchased a 2006 F250 super duty crew cab short box 6.0L turbo diesel at the end of the 2006 model year. We got 0% financing for 72 months. When we compared buying this new truck versus a 2-4 year old truck of the same model it was cheaper to go new with the 0% so shop your financing as it can make a big difference.
We drove the Titan, GM and Chevy and based on towing capacity (we pull a car trailer on weekends for racing), ride, ease of finding repair and parts if needed, financing etc we happily went with Ford.
After 2 years with our truck I can not come up with one complaint! We drove it to Miami and I drive it every weekend back to Michigan from Chicago. The truck rides like a dream and it is really quiet too!I get 20mpg highway and about 15mpg city and is big enough in the back for 3 6'+ foot adults.
I should add my husband is a mechanic and based on what he works on at the shop on a regular basis (GM) we were happy to go Ford.

EM-Rebuilder-
We are currently looking for a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L diesel low miles and black with black leather (same as our truck). Maybe a repo or one that needs mechanical work not body. If you have one or know of one drop me a PM!

Too bad you didnt contact me back a few months ago. We sold a 2005 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4x4 Diesel, clean as they come (4 captains, heated seats, DVD ent center, etc etc) with 50K miles... it actually went to Canada! Someone ran off in a wet ditch. No water got inside or in the motor, just fried the starter. Put a new starter on it, and everything was perfect. No damage anywhere. I'll keep my eyes out, but clean Excursions are hard to come by anymore...

How about this one:

minicooper.jpg

whoops, wrong thread! :D

Seriously, how about a Toyota Tacoma? Anyway, if it's only between those three I'd vote for a Nissan Titan since a Nissan served my dad reliably for years and years, including teaching me how to drive. It's also very attractive and manly! :love:

Edit: Although there is much merit to the idea of buying American, it sucks that even these "American" companies are taking their factories elsewhere, where there aren't pesky minimum wage and labor laws.

Whatever, most Toyotas are made is the US nowdays, unfortunately:mad:. Just do some research on consumer reports. Ever since Toyota started building their trucks here their quality and reliability has dipped considerably. I'm just glad my 90's Land Cruiser was made in Japan, it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned (and I used to be a die hard Chevy man). Just read the facts in consumer reports. Anectdotal n=(insert some small number here) polls about people with reliable trucks is not statistically significant. Needless to say, in this years consumer report Ford is gaining in reliability :eek: while Chevy continues to plummet.

I totally agree with the previous posters about buying a used vehicle-difinitely the way to go, especially if you can find one of those old meticulously maintained, grandpa owned vehicles.

When it comes down to it, everyone has their own opinions about which truck to buy. If I was in the OP's postion and needed a full size pickup I would go with the couple year old Tundra. They are decked out, more reliable than most american made trucks and they hold their value well. (I hate the new Tundra's too, and don't get me started on how disgusting the new land cruisers are)

:thumbup:

2 MPG doesn't really make me want to have a smaller truck, which is less off-road capable, with less room for a car-seat and less room for cargo.

I hear you on the cargo room and things, but, don't ever assume the small trucks are less capable. They are MORE capable, IMO and experience (I used to compete).
I don't know what type of offroading you're doing, but I regularly follow big built rigs on difficult trails with my little toyota and I attribute it to, not only my complete mind blowing awesomeness, but also simply because it's so nimble. With a smaller truck you have a better turning radius and you have the ability to pick several lines versus just one because it's the only way a big hog of a full size will fit.
Plus, the gas mileage is lovely.

Toyota all the way, man. Mine has taken beatings for many many miles, has been over loaded, and still drives like a champ *and*still doesn't have a rattle after 60K. I haven't personally seen any decrease in quality and reliability and I know a small plethora of toyota owners.

I have F150 supercrew for children and dead animals. I liked a chevy S10 I had years ago, but did not like the Avalanche.

I like Toyotas but the insurance in CA was too high.

While we're on the topic, do any of you Ford people know what trim package this is? Is all that extra chrome aftermarket?
6738934825.242212566.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

While we're on the topic, do any of you Ford people know what trim package this is? Is all that extra chrome aftermarket?
6738934825.242212566.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

About everything on that truck is aftermarket... hood, wheel flares, everything you see that is chrome except the front center chrome grille... the wheels are factory. Cant call the step tubes, they look fordish so it could go either way...

Other than that, it is probably a 4x4 (tow hooks...to pull the chevy out) and probably a lariat since the painted part of the wheels and the center of the grille match the lower paint of the truck...although, as I recally, that was only done on earlier 04 models.

The front bumper (round fogs) are 06+...

So with the known 'mods', its hard to say what year it really is. There is no keypad on the door handle which points to 04-05, as that was not part of the lariat til 06+... but it could just be a cheap XLT with wheels added, bumper changed out, etc etc... who knows.

American? So I should be giving money to the big three who dole it out to the UAW who slavishly pass it on to Hillary? That's American? I'd rather just send it to Tokyo.

Ford is doing the 0% financing right now for 60 months on the F150 (at least they are in Michigan anyway)

Go with the Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Hemi is the way to go.:cool:

I'd look into an International MXT... they're only $90k:

mxt_home.jpg

Seriously, though, I'd avoid the new Titans as they are not getting good reviews. I'd stick with either an F-150 or a Silverado. The Honda truck is supposedly built very well, but it looks really "soft".

Buy a 3-5 year old (used) truck with low miles and run it into the ground. Rinse and repeat. Let someone else eat the depreciation of driving the truck off the lot. This is a financially smart thing to do. I'm sure with the money you save you could start/continue building a retirement fund or pay off some debt.

I wouldn't buy anything with 4-wheel drive used. you never know what dumb stuff people have done to it and any potential damage to the frame.

then again, I'm a horse person. I'm trusting that truck to pull $20K worth of horse trailer and $35K+ worth of horse. I want to be positive everything is in the best shape possible.

Well, thought I would fill you guys in on the resolution of this thread.

I just picked up my 2008.5 (what's with the 0.5?) Nissan Titan Pro-4X King Cab tonight. I had the salesman take a picture of me with my old Nissan Hardbody faced off against the new Titan. Quite a difference . . . not only cause it's bigger but because of the lack of cosmetic defects!

Well, thought I would fill you guys in on the resolution of this thread.

I just picked up my 2008.5 (what's with the 0.5?) Nissan Titan Pro-4X King Cab tonight. I had the salesman take a picture of me with my old Nissan Hardbody faced off against the new Titan. Quite a difference . . . not only cause it's bigger but because of the lack of cosmetic defects!

0.5 = marketing/salesman scheme...

Oh and I decided against the International MXT.