True that DO's less recognized, but inferior?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Mr. MD or DO, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Mr. MD or DO

Mr. MD or DO Member
    10+ Year Member

Why is that I can only find DO's working in poorer areas, or small private clinics in isolated regions of the country? With an exception of really hugh, prestigeous institutions or hospitals where they can afford variety of doctors. I'm currently working at NYU, school of medicine, can't find a single DO. Why is it that DO's often hidden somewhere not that well represented?
    Don't get me wrong but I'm an fervent Osteopathic advocate, just sidetracked recently listening to the MD's belittling DO's. Is it more than the ignorance of the public, or is there some validity in their belief? WHat's dicouraging the minds of the majority that Osteopathic is some kind of "alternative medicine"? IS it the slightly lower, and less stringent condition for enrollment? Or is it the dissaticfaction of Osteopathic service in general? Where are all the DO's after med school? I know they are underrepresented, but why are they so quiet? I'm starting to have alot of doubts as the dark clouds of criticism and prematured stage of their existence, at least regarding its recognition. I just surmise how this great philosophy, so effective and so humanistic go unnoticed, sheerly ignored and dejectedly inferiorized.
    SOmething must be wrong here, and i can't decide my way, please enlighten me with the truth, if anyone can shed a little light on my confusion. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Originally posted by Mr. MD or DO:
    Why is that I can only find DO's working in poorer areas, or small private clinics in isolated regions of the country? With an exception of really hugh, prestigeous institutions or hospitals where they can afford variety of doctors. I'm currently working at NYU, school of medicine, can't find a single DO. Why is it that DO's often hidden somewhere not that well represented

Osteopathic medicine emphasizes primary care. The academic institutions you are referring to such as NYU are tertiary care institutions. Nevertheless, not all osteopathic physicians go into primary care.

You seem to be basing your conclusion on a small sample size. Be careful about forming your opinions about osteopathic physicians from just a few sources. Everyone has an opinion.

4. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Come to Michigan. This is the #1 D.O. state right now. Here in the Lansing area you can find almost equal numbers of MD and DO in all specialties of medicine with only a few exceptions!!

5. dude7

dude7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree. in michigan you will find actually MORE Do's in some MAJOR hospitals here in the state. Also, like a poster said, you are entitled to your own opinion, but DO's arent inferior. They just have an emphasis in primary care. By law they are equal, and the salaries of say a DO in opthalmolagy is the same as a MD in the same field. In my opinion, inferiority is only defined if two equally trained people with the same number of years of experience , and person A is getting paid more for the same work as person B. In the MD/DO case, they are paid the same if they are in the same institution. i rest my case.

6. hippuppy

hippuppy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I recently graduated from Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi. As you might imagine, I am one of a handfull of students that is applying to Osteopathic Medical School. There is only one school in MS and that is the Allopathic program in Jackson. Not to be concerned. I also work at the local hospital where the chief of Anesthesia is a DO, one of the top Opthamologists (sp?) is a DO, two of the four Emergency Physicians are DO's. Do you get my drift? DO's can do whatever they want. Oh, don't take this out of context but nearly every DO that I have meet has been extremely professional and have excellent patient-physician relations not to mention the staff-physician relationships. I wouldn't be concerned much with what MD's are saying. For the most part, the holistic approach that is an Osteopathic trademark is an approach that many MD's taking notice of. I am curently reading a book by James S. Gordon MD entilted Manifesto for a New Medicine. In this book he describes how he began to use manipulative techniques like DO's and began practicing more natural medicine. In my opinion, DO's are ahead of their time. Good luck!

Hip

7. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have heard of a DO who completed a cardiology fellowship at the NYU-VA program,so they do exist.At prestigious programs such as NYU or Columbia which are very competitive for allopathic students you will not find many osteopathic graduates,however they are present at many hospitals and academic medical centers in the NYC area such as Einstein,Beth Israel,North Shore.

8. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I noticed a "minor" trend where DOs are prominent in academia. PM&R programs as well as Rheumatology fellowships of major University Medical Centers often have DOs in their programs. Also, the Emergency Department may have quite a few. This isn't a hardcore rule by any means. This is just my own observation of what's around me. But, all-in-all, it is possible to find DO's (just like MDs) in every medical specialty in every state in any type of medical setting. As I used to say back in '98 when I listened to Master P..."A'int No Limit to this S%^t!!!" Keep that in mind. :D

9. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Someone in the Osteopathic Forum already suggested searching the NYU School of Medicine website for osteopathic physicians, D.O., etc.... there are osteopathic physicians at NYU. For those interested follow this same thread in the osteopathic forum....

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  11. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hippuppy- can you give the publication info or the ISBN number for the book Manifesto for a New Medicine? I would like to read that book! Thanks!

12. hippuppy

hippuppy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    muonwhiz,

Hey. Sure the ISBN # is:

0-201-89828-4

Gordon, James S. M.D. "Manifesto for a New Medicine". Perseus Books. Reading, Massachusetts. 1996

Best of luck and enjoy the book. I find some of his treatments rather amusing but if a diet of watermelon for a week helps to clean out impurities, who am i to question the guy?

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "OSU physician Otis Rickman received the "Best Senior Medical Resident" teaching award from the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine. Dr. Rickman, a 1998 graduate of OSU's medical school, is a third-year internal medicine resident of the prestigious program. Dr. Rickman will continue his post-graduate education at Mayo with a Fellowship in Pulmonary-Critical Care."

This is posted on the Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine website. So, at least one D.O. is not inferior......
    :rolleyes: