NeuroKlitch

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I could have sworn I read an article a few months ago about trump wanting to loosen the hipaa regulation on psychiatrists , and allow them to report their patients mental health to specific organizations and so on. Anyone remember this too ? Any links or stuff I can read up more about what happened . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

benlinus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I could have sworn I read an article a few months ago about trump wanting to loosen the hipaa regulation on psychiatrists , and allow them to report their patients mental health to specific organizations and so on. Anyone remember this too ? Any links or stuff I can read up more about what happened . Thanks

Fake News.

Mar 24, 2014
Rural Area Medical Facilty
Status
Psychologist
Fake News.
lol
In more fake news, why would Trump want mental health people talking more since so many have already opined that he has some type of mental illness. Then again, if he isn't rational and has pathological narcissistic traits, then it makes total sense. Maybe I should line up a slot as an expert on a fake news show and speculate about it publicly. How much do they pay for that kind of work? All I would have to is sacrifice my ethical integrity. ;)

About the Ads

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
lol
In more fake news, why would Trump want mental health people talking more since so many have already opined that he has some type of mental illness. Then again, if he isn't rational and has pathological narcissistic traits, then it makes total sense. Maybe I should line up a slot as an expert on a fake news show and speculate about it publicly. How much do they pay for that kind of work? All I would have to is sacrifice my ethical integrity. ;)
this tweet says so much.

Mar 24, 2014
Status
Psychologist
Though @smalltownpsych, he already had a nice lineup of experts.

Talking about yourself in the third person citing Harvard psychiatrists as thinking you are a genius. Priceless. It is almost as good as watching people get all twisted up about the things he says. So long as he doesn't start WWIII or a second holocaust, I'm taking this guy's stance...

OP
N

NeuroKlitch

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Ok I think I found it . Found an article about suggesting loosening hipaa rules on reporting to families when they have opioid abuse issues .

hamstergang

may or may not contain hamsters
7+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
NJ
Status
Attending Physician
Ok I think I found it . Found an article about suggesting loosening hipaa rules on reporting to families when they have opioid abuse issues .
Well please don't share it with the rest of us. That would be out of place in this thread.

Information Underload

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2014
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Good. Protecting patient privacy is nice, but there are certainly times where HIPAA is overly-restrictive and at times jeopardizes the health of the patient.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
Status
Psychologist
So they want us to contact family members of patients who try to kill themselves? Sometimes I will talk to family members in the waiting room to get collateral information and plan for safety when a patient is in the ED, but to start notifying various family members to tell them that so and so tried to commit suicide seems a bit odd to me. How do I know that will be in the patients' best interest if I don't know anything about the family dynamics? I am glad that I am allowed to notify if need be at my discretion, but would hate to see it become a standard of care.

Reactions: Crayola227
OP
N

NeuroKlitch

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
But at the same time , I read they were pushing to increase hipaa rules when it comes to reporting mental illnesses when it comes to purchasing guns . Willl post link when I find it

About the Ads