Try some of these bio questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoangDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During transcription, the replication forks opens _______ and polymerization of the leading strand occurs _______ , which adds bases to the _____ end of the chain.
a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'
b) 3' to 5' ; 5' to 3' ; 3'
c) 5' to 3' ; 3' to 5' ; 3'
d) 3' to 5' ; 3' to 5' ' 3'

Which of the following processes has a positive deltaG under normal aerobic conditions in the cell?
a) ATP hydrolysis
b) the pumping of proton to form a pH gradient
c) oxidation of NADH by NADH dehydrogenase
d) the folding of a protein into its correct tertiary structure

Dintrophenol (DNP) is an uncoupler: it destroys the proton gradient by allowing protons to flow into the matrix. Which of the following process does it inhibit first?
a)pyruvate decarboxylation by the PDC
b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

Cyanide (inhibitor of the ETC) is added to a culture of virus-infected mammalian cells. The virus has none of the components of electron transport nor any other proteins that are inhibited by cyanide. Which of the following best describe the effect of cyanide?
a) mammalian cells will die, and all viruses will be destroyed
b) mammalian cells are killed, and viral replication is halted, but the culture remain infectious
c) mammalian cells stop growing, and viral replication is unaffected
d) mammalian cells continue to grow, but viral replication is halted

Which of the following occur in meiosis but NOT in mitosis?
I. seperation of sister chromatids on microtubules
II. pairing of homologous chromosomes
III recombination b/w sister chromatids

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

I'll post answer in a few hrs. Gonna take a break from studying :)

Good luck to everyone that will be taking your test in the next few days. And congrats to everyone who just finished there's.

Members don't see this ad.

During transcription, the replication forks opens _______ and polymerization of the leading strand occurs _______ , which adds bases to the _____ end of the chain.
a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

Which of the following processes has a positive deltaG under normal aerobic conditions in the cell?
a) ATP hydrolysis

Dintrophenol (DNP) is an uncoupler: it destroys the proton gradient by allowing protons to flow into the matrix. Which of the following process does it inhibit first?
b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

Cyanide (inhibitor of the ETC) is added to a culture of virus-infected mammalian cells. The virus has none of the components of electron transport nor any other proteins that are inhibited by cyanide. Which of the following best describe the effect of cyanide?
b) mammalian cells are killed, and viral replication is halted, but the culture remain infectious

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

Good luck to everyone that will be taking your test in the next few days. And congrats to everyone who just finished there's.

I hope I did well

a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

a) ATP hydrolysis

b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

a) I only
b) II only....tricky tricky Hoang, III is supposed to be b/w homologous chromosomes...nice try tho
c) I and II
d) II and III

nice

Last edited:
a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

a) ATP hydrolysis

b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

Nice questions Ma Man!

Members don't see this ad :)
a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

a) ATP hydrolysis

b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

b) mammalian cells are killed, and viral replication is halted, but the culture remain infectious <-- this is a very close answer choice as well but I am not sure if the cells still remain infected even after viruses are killed :confused:

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

Nice!! Where did you get these from? or did you make them up by yourself?

harry why did you choose muscular contraction for #3??? can you explain, thanks

To missthoothy: It says recombination between "sister chromatids" which sounds somehow weird. You know, recombination usually occurs between homologous chromosomes. If it happens between sister chromatids as well, then why can't it happen in motosis?

To Osims: I don't see why DNP would mess up with electron transport. Electrons would still be transferred from NADH to the cell, membrane and finally to oxygen to make water. The hydrogens would be pumped into the space between inner and outer mitochondrial membrane, BUT they would pass DNP instead of ATP synthase. So, ATP won't be made [which messes up the muscle contraction], but electrons will still keep on being transported.

In other words, DNP inhibits the ATP synthesis, but it does not inhibit the transportation of electrons in the inner mitochondrial membrane. You get it?

To missthoothy: It says recombination between "sister chromatids" which sounds somehow weird. You know, recombination usually occurs between homologous chromosomes. If it happens between sister chromatids as well, then why can't it happen in motosis?

To Osims: I don't see why DNP would mess up with electron transport. Electrons would still be transferred from NADH to the cell, membrane and finally to oxygen to make water. The hydrogens would be pumped into the space between inner and outer mitochondrial membrane, BUT they would pass DNP instead of ATP synthase. So, ATP won't be made [which messes up the muscle contraction], but electrons will still keep on being transported.

i dunno about that harry, you need the chemiosmotic gradient in the innermembrane space to make ATP, i believe the ETC is part of making the ATP which needs the protons to be pumped across the membrane to make that gradient in order to make ATP...

Also how does muscular contraction have to do with protons? isnt it more calcium and such ions...not protons

In other words, DNP inhibits the ATP synthesis, but it does not inhibit the transportation of electrons in the inner mitochondrial membrane. You get it?

ohhh I see what your saying now...yea thats very true actually good catch...I was associating proton movement into the matrix with ETC...

but obviously ATP has to do with muscular contraction of myosin binding and such as you know ;)

And once again he proved that HE IS THE KING OF BIO!!!:bow:

Members don't see this ad :)
He is very observant haha, you must have been a very observant child growing up huh harry??

a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

a) ATP hydrolysis

b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

For the third one I was thinking C but I don't think DNP would affect Electron Transport, since electron are still being transferred!

All right, please wait till we see the answers. Stop calling me king of stuff:laugh:, I might be wrong, and then become embarassed.
lol dude seriously though how can you think so much outside the box ....m so jealouss!! can't wait to see how you kick DAT's butt

jeezez there's 10 posts more than when I started answering them lol

You gotta give a second thought to your answer to the second question misstoothy.
yea i know after i saw that every answered different than me. I read the question again and saw that its asking for positive delta G which means the reaction is not spontaneous. I was looking for the answer that would make the reaction spontaneous lol...I have got to read the questions carefully

yea i know after i saw that every answered different than me. I read the question again and saw that its asking for positive delta G which means the reaction is not spontaneous. I was looking for the answer that would make the reaction spontaneous lol...I have got to read the questions carefully
Yeah, BE CAREFUL! Don't let these type of mistakes put you down on DAT. C A R E F U L !

recombination occurs between sister chromatids in both mitosis and meiosis. Since the sister chromatids are identical, recombination between the two doesn't do anything. So recombination only has any effect in meiosis, when it occurs between homologous chromosomes.

"
DNP definitively inhibits electron transport chain. Think about it. The purpose to the proton gradient is to use the energy gained from glucose to push the hydrogen ions out of the matrix, so that it can come back in and produce ATP. If DNP messes up that gradient by allowing the H ions to flow back in easily, the ions will not pass through ATP synthase, and will not produce ATP. DNP would thus cause you to waste a lot of the energy in the NADH and FADH2 bonds you formed without any ATP to show for it.quote]"

Yeah, it would waste a lot of energy, but NADH and FADH2 will still keep on losing their H and electrons to Oxygen. electrons will still flow on the membrane, H+ will still be pumped, and overall the elctrons will be TRANSPORTED. The only missing part is that ATP will not be produced because of the coupling function of DNP.

a) 5' to 3' ; 5'-3'; 5'

lol, I tried to be sneaky but I think everyone got this one. I should've made c) ended with a 5'. !!

a) ATP hydrolysis
A,C, and D are thermodynamically favorable. What more can I say. The large positve delta G of the process in B makes undoing it favorable enough for it to power the ATP synthesis.

b) TCA cycle
c) electron transport
d) muscular contraction
Harry answered this right first. And his explanation is probably better than mine. But I was thinking the same thing. Since the proton gradient is destroyed, the processes in A, B, and C will continute unabated, b/c NADH will be reoxidized to NAD+ at their normal rate or probably even faster. No proton gradient = No ATP = No muscle contraction

B - Both virus and mammalian cells are dependent on the mammalian cell's ATP generation sys. The cells will die and viral replication will be halted and the culture remains infectious b/c some mature viruses will already have been made.

III recombination b/w sister chromatids GOTCHA!!

a) I only
b) II only
c) I and II
d) II and III

hahah thanks for participating. I tried to be tricky---Hope i gotcha!!:D

hey bonus question:
Which one of the following pairs of process may occur simultaneously on the same RNA molecules in a eukaryotic cell?
a) translation and transcription
B) transcription and splicing
c) splicing and translation
d) messenger RNA degradation and transcription.

Sick of bio yet? or ur just sick of me?

hey bonus question:
Which one of the following pairs of process may occur simultaneously on the same RNA molecules in a eukaryotic cell?

hah i dunno this one is tricky also

hey bonus question:
a) translation and transcription <-- can't be this 1 happens in nucleus and another in cytosol
c) splicing and translation <-- can't be this splicing is in nucleus
d) messenger RNA degradation and transcription. <-- hmmmmmmmmmmm

man you make good questions....

hey bonus[LMAO] question:

Sick of bio yet? or ur just sick of me?[/quote]

None of the choices appeal to me man. I would have gone with D, not sure though.

hey bonus question:

Nice one!

hey bonus[LMAO] question:

None of the choices appeal to me man. I would have gone with D, not sure though.[/QUOTE]
If you are right this time...i am officially not speaking to you.................

Well I know there are 3 mechanisms for mRNA splicing and one uses RNA and 2 of them don't! So that's the only thing that makes sense! Still not sure though!

None of the choices appeal to me man. I would have gone with D, not sure though.
If you are right this time...i am officially not speaking to you.................[/quote]

Misstoothy, I guess we are still talking:D. B makes more sense to me now. I would have probably cheked this question out at the end and changed my answer to B:D [lol, but this still keeps us officially friends]

hey bonus question:

made you think huh? Well It can't be D b/c if this did occur, the mRNA would never make it to be translated. It can't be A b/c the mRNA must first be spliced then transported to the cytoplasm before translation. It's B -- Usually with large genes with many introns, some introns are spliced during transcription. BOOYAH!!

I hope I didn't make ms. toothy and harry not talk anymore, since he did changed his answer at the last minute to the right one...

alright I won't post anymore tricky question since u guys hate it so much.

made you think huh? Well It can't be D b/c if this did occur, the mRNA would never make it to be translated. It can't be A b/c the mRNA must first be spliced then transported to the cytoplasm before translation. It's B -- Usually with large genes with many introns, some introns are spliced during transcription. BOOYAH!!

I hope I didn't make ms. toothy and harry not talk anymore, since he did changed his answer at the last minute to the right one...

alright I won't post anymore tricky question since u guys hate it so much.
no we like it!!! right every1??? Post more if you have time....

lol alright. I'll see what I can do. It takes time to try to trick you guys. You guys are hella (yes i'm from NORCAL) smart.

GO DUMB!!!! pass dat bleezy mang...Andrei Nikatina fo sho ya dig

haha

haha im not...alright post some questions up im waiting for your good questions...

could someone explain to me why the replication fork opens 3 to 5? i picked a cause i was sure of the other two but had to guess regarding rep fork. i'm a little confuse cause DNA is antiparallel and it could make sense that it opens 3 to 5 and 5to 3?!?!?! does helicase work on the 3' end or something.. someone help! :scared: