Trying not to sound desperate in update letter

premedtriguy

2+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
    I am in the process of writing update letters to several medical schools regarding recent developments with my research(conference presentation and publication), but I am concerned about being viewed as just another desperate applicant. Would it be okay to try to say something along the lines of "While I have been fortunate enough to interview at several other programs, the X school of medicine is still among my top choices for medical schools", or is that a little too much? I want to display confidence, without sounding like I am bragging. Should I mention other interviews at all, or just leave it out of the update entirely?

Edit: I am a low stat applicant(reinventor) with a decent MCAT and high SMP GPA(~3.9 for a 2-year program), hence my concern about being viewed as desperate. So far, crickets from my university's medical school, which I applied to first day. Linkage to the SMP has been mentioned by their admissions director verbally, but it is nowhere in writing. I could even take it one step further and try to subtlety mention that I hold several acceptances, but that feels like a bit much.

Last edited:

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      I am in the process of writing update letters to several medical schools regarding recent developments with my research(conference presentation and publication), but I am concerned about being viewed as just another desperate applicant. Would it be okay to try to say something along the lines of "While I have been fortunate enough to interview at several other programs, the X school of medicine is still among my top choices for medical schools", or is that a little too much? I want to display confidence, without sounding like I am bragging. Should I mention other interviews at all, or just leave it out of the update entirely?

Edit: I am a low stat applicant(reinventor) with a decent MCAT and high SMP GPA(~3.9 for a 2-year program), hence my concern about being viewed as desperate. So far, crickets from my university's medical school, which I applied to first day. Linkage to the SMP has been mentioned by their admissions director verbally, but it is nowhere in writing. I could even take it one step further and try to subtlety mention that I hold several acceptances, but that feels like a bit much.
      Imagine you're at a bar and you overhear this conversation between Jack and Jill:

Jack: While I have been fortunate enough to date other girls, Jill, you're still among my top choices for whom to marry"

Imagine how that would go over.

Now imagine how an Admissions Dean would react to your comment.

• Haha
      Reactions: 6 users
      About the Ads

Talldoctor96

2+ Year Member
      Dec 17, 2018
        Here’s the reality dude— the person reading your letter is the secretary in the admissions office that plays no role in any decisions at all. They’ll Probablt take it and put it in your file or summarize a few bullets on your file. Don’t over think it, don’t write a lot and don’t expect much.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.