Trying to avoid 2015 mcat..is this course load too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm to scared to take the 2015 mcat so I'm trying to squeeze all the classes I need so I can take the mcat in 2014. Is this too heavy of a course load? Should I suck it up and just take the 2015 mcat?

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab
Invertebrate Zoology/or other bio elective

Total credit hours: 14
Although its not a lot of credits I've heard horror stories about orgo and I've never been good at physics lol

Members don't see this ad.

Orgo, Bio, and Physics? I think that's a tad much there but you know yourself the best. How have you handled previous challenges? Also I'm not sure but I believe your last chance to take our mcat is Jan 2015

Last edited:
I tried avoiding the 2015 MCAT too by cramming all my prereq's. It messed up my GPA. Don't do it, it's not worth it. EVERYONE has to take the new MCAT and maybe it won't be so bad. I heard they will even scale down the new MCAT scores to compare it to the old one. I don't know if this is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know plenty of people who did Orgo, Physics, and Bio together and did well- it can be done! But they balanced it out with an easier fourth class and in my case, when I was taking Orgo and Physics, I purposely chose an easy Bio class (easy Bio teacher; 90 was an A as opposed to the university's 93).

It really depends on the individual's natural knack for the subjects and their work ethic. If you feel Orgo and Physics will be challenging enough, balance those classes out with two humanities classes (or whatever subjects you're good at/enjoy, and aren't too much work or require too much brain power. My English writing class I took during my heavy science semester required at least 2 hours of reading a day, but it was enjoyable and didn't require me to memorize or take in information, which was a huge help).

The MCAT tests you on the basic sciences, which means you don't necessarily need Cell Bio (and certainly not Zoology). I've heard Physiology, Biochem, and Cell Bio helps, but most of the people I know haven't taken many/any upper level Bio classes before the MCAT and they did fine (30+).

Edit: Also, if you're worried about Orgo, I highly recommend "Orgo as a Second Language." The book does a great job of explaining the concepts much better than my textbook (and sometimes, professor) ever did. Use it to supplement your lectures/textbook, not just by itself, though.

I'm to scared to take the 2015 mcat so I'm trying to squeeze all the classes I need so I can take the mcat in 2014. Is this too heavy of a course load? Should I suck it up and just take the 2015 mcat?

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

Although its not a lot of credits I've heard horror stories about orgo and I've never been good at physics lol

Relax. Your course load is fine (although I'm uncertain about zoology/bio elective). If you're good/confident in biology, then you're all set. Just make sure to manage your time effectively.

You can do it, just try to make that elective a non brutal one. This will all be school/teacher specific so do your research.

FYI OP, the 2015 MCAT doesn't take effect until the spring of 2015. I'm not exactly sure of the date when it switches over, but January 2015 will still be the old exam. Not sure if that makes a difference for your plan.

I'm in the same boat as you. Avoiding the 2015 MCATs seems like the smartest move at the moment, so I'm loading on the pre-reqs so that I can take it over the summer next year.

My fall schedule looks like: Orgo I w/ lab, Physics I w/ lab, Physiology w/ lab (required for my major), a 2 credit lab techniques course (required for my major), and a 3 credit internship in health education.

It really depends on your school, though. For instance: I know from other students that my physics course is pretty easy, so I feel way more comfortable taking on the load that I am.
For now, keep the schedule, and go to the classes for the first week. Before the add/drop period ends, look over the syllabus for all classes, and ask yourself how realistic it will be to make good grades.
It's not worth taking the 2014 MCATs if your GPA slips.

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

Honestly it depends on your aptitude for the material and other circumstances, i.e, are you also doing other stuff 30-40 hours a week? If not and you have minimum commitments outside of school, and you're a HARD worker with that do or die attitude, you'll be fine.

Hey everyone...

I think this sentiment to avoid the 2015 is kind of foolish (but this is just my opinion).
I think it's foolish because...hello! Everyone has to take it. Even if it's a monstrous tests as long as you're in the top quarter which is now about a 30 you should be fine! The which may be a 40 (assuming there's 4 sections still scored out of 15) will still be the same as this old 30. It's not like they'll compare the 2014s and early 2015s to the new MCATers. Now maybe there's something to be said about a bunch of gunners who are trying to come and destroy the new MCAT. If that group exists, I haven't heard about it and doubt they even represent 1-2% of MCAT takers.

I wanted to take chem and physics my freshman year (and upper div bio for one quarter) just so I could focus on ochem and more upper div biology courses my sophomore year.

I would reconsider the zoology class but otherwise this can be done.

Last edited:
I'm going to replace zoology with "reading film" which is considered an easy gen Ed at my school. But otherwise I'm sticking with this schedule.

Another thought I had was how will med schools compare between students with similar gpas ECs both do well in interview but both take different versions of the mcat? I'm assuming it'll still be out of 45?

Hey everyone...

I think this sentiment to avoid the 2015 is kind of foolish (but this is just my opinion).
I think it's foolish because...hello! Everyone has to take it. Even if it's a monstrous tests as long as you're in the top quarter which is now about a 30 you should be fine! The which may be a 40 (assuming there's 4 sections still scored out of 15) will still be the same as this old 30. It's not like they'll compare the 2014s and early 2015s to the new MCATers. Now maybe there's something to be said about a bunch of gunners who are trying to come and destroy the new MCAT. If that group exists, I haven't heard about it and doubt they even represent 1-2% of MCAT takers.

lolwut, u serious bro?

In case you are:

1. The new MCAT is much longer.
2. There aren't many practice sources available for the new MCAT and no one knows how it will be.
3. How exactly do you prep for the new section?

I'm going to replace zoology with "reading film" which is considered an easy gen Ed at my school. But otherwise I'm sticking with this schedule.

Another thought I had was how will med schools compare between students with similar gpas ECs both do well in interview but both take different versions of the mcat? I'm assuming it'll still be out of 45?

Old/45 = New/60. Solve for the unknown.

Members don't see this ad :)
lolwut, u serious bro?

In case you are:

2. There aren't many practice sources available for the new MCAT and no one knows how it will be.

Old/45 = New/60. Solve for the unknown.
I'm sure that test prep companies will be throwing practice material at us faster than we can buy it.

This is most likely the dream of every top person at TPR/Kaplan/Examkrackers...no one will be able to search for the best books anymore, so slap on "New MCAT 2015 edition" on your book and everyone will buy it! Sales will be insane! Down with Sn2ed's review schedule and the pesky Berkeley Review!

I took Ochem 2, an upper level bio, physics 1 and their labs last semester. It was definitely my toughest semester and I didn't have much time for anything else. If you think you're up for it then it's definitely doable. I'm also rushing to get in all my classes in time to not take the old MCAT :( Good luck :luck:

Hey everyone...

Not everyone has to take it. AMCAS displays your MCAT as a breakdown of each section and the total score. It's also completely possible that schools won't know what to do with the new section yet, so they'll exclude it completely from their consideration, at least until the old MCAT scores expire and they can compare all students with the new test (and having a few years of scores to look at, they'll see some sort of trend).

So, if you're ready to take it before the switch, why wouldn't you?

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

I took 8 classes this past semester , 4 of which were sciences. You can do it, you just have to set priorities and be ready for a tough one. That being said, I only did this after taking 6 the prior semester and knowing what I'm capable of.

I did it once (immunology, orgo, pchem, physics, and epidemiology) but it kind of sucked. Did very few extracurriculars in those weeks. Be honest with yourself as to whether you're willing to put forward the time, and make sure to follow-through.

lolwut, u serious bro?

In case you are:

2. There isn't much practice sources available for the new MCAT and no one knows how it will be.

Hello again Agent B,

1. This is true. I think it's like 7 hours now which is quite a bit of time but remember the curve...personally I wouldn't see a 7 hr exam as that big of a deal, there's a lunch break and more minibreaks!

2. There isn't much practice material now because no one should really be studying yet (besides pre-reqs). There are, however, already sample questions on AAMC now so imagine what AAMC will have out by 2014 when these people need to get studying. They introduced the self assessments in 2012. I anticipate maybe a practice test or two for this new MCAT. It would be hard to imagine them not having one. (I've asked this question via Twitter so I will have to see). From that Kaplan, EK, Princeton, and Berkeley will try to emulate questions and teach students the new strategies.

3. This new social science/psychological/sociological/cultural competence section...
{KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION}

It will resemble verbal mostly and have social science concepts mixed in, some to know and some they will introduce that you won't have to know but may know if you took upper level psych.

In First Aid in the Behavioral Science Section they have a whole page dedicated to ethical situations.

Ex.) "A middle-age married woman who had a masectomy says she feels "ugly" when she undresses at night" (Le, Bhushan, Tolles 60).

Then basically you listen to why they feel this way and avoid giving false compliments.
Maybe they'll ask questions like this.

Also, what I hope for is a listening component! Like someone should say something and then we have student interpret whether she's in a hurry and stuff but of course make it little more complicated than that. This would really help with social skills and stuff. Also, the passages should both clinical and non clinical stuff just like the previous MCAT wasn't about medicine at all.

...okay...

[This stuff is not my opinion and via AAMC]

So I actually watched AAMC's video on the new section and did some practice questions. Basically, there are going to be a couple terms sociological/psychological terms we're going to have to be familiar with like self-serving bias, reference group, etc...

Then they're going to present us with passages. Oftentimes these passages will have both graphs/tables (data) + a good amount of text (like the recent AAMC bio section)...basically like bio (but psych/soc/+little bio and verbal combined).
Then they're going to ask us similar questions that we've seen from the old MCAT verbal section/bio section:

Ex. They introduce the term homophilus group (wrong word...already forgot what they said) in the 1st passage (it's basically a group that shares demographical similarities [bmi/income lvl/etc] and research has shown that they are likely to act a same way when put together (which has been established).. Half the ppl in a study are put in this kind of group and half are in a group where things are different. This is what the passage tells you.

Then they ask a question along the lines of:

Which one of the following is like a homophilus group:

a.) reference group
b.) primary group
c.) secondary group
d.) some other choice

The answer's A because reference group is basically the sociological/psychological term for control group and that's what the homophilus group is if you read the passage.

Another question they asked along the lines of:

Which of the following is not an example of "self serving bias" (a concept they explained in the passage)

a.) obese ppl agreeing that there are too many fast food places in the area
b.) non obese ppl agreeing that they work hard
c.) poor/obese people in the inner city agreeing that they'll get shot if they try to go for a jog.
d.) healthy people agreeing there are no fast food places in the area.

Now...I'm not psych/soc major here but it self serving bias kind of speaks for itself and basically in A, B, and C the groups are saying things that will make themselves perceive themselves in a better light. Obese will say that there's this and that factor and fit people will say it's because of their work ethic to make themselves seem hardworking and of good character. So basically, healthy people agreeing that there are no fast food places in the area is the odd one out because it's not making them look any better and may actually imply that their healthy because of factors out of their control which is not making them feel good about themselves so the answer is D.

For this section, it seems like there will be a lot of terms to know. Also, a lot of psych/soc concepts will be introduced in passages (those which you won't be expected to know like the previous MCAT did with sciences sometimes). Then, asking similar questions to the previous MCAT they're going to assess your ability to make connections between things, recognize similarities...etc.

So the overall tl;dr part:

Looks like you're going to have to familiarize yourself with certain psychological/sociological concepts and just get a feel for how research is done and interpreted which should be the same for all other sections. Then, they're pretty much going to ask questions you'd see on the verbal exam or maybe BS part of the exam. Which of the following is not...which of the following terms (that you should know) is like the totally new term we used in a passage..of course these questions are probably way easier than what we'll see in Feb 2015 but I definitely think I could gain a good idea of what will be tested and what I need to do to prepare on my part. I would probably take an intro psych and intro soc. class to learn the basic concepts. I'd also maybe take a more advanced course just to improve my social science reasoning skills and then I'd probably study whatever sample material/practice material AAMC has to offer. Ya, there's no clear path but AAMC is not going to let everyone hang out to dry...and if they do it will show up on the curve.

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

And sorry to hijack your thread Chaii. I think you should be fine if you work very hard and aren't doing anything crazy like trying to prep for the MCAT or work in a research lab for 20 hours a week. If it's the 4th week (when things really start to pick up...1st tests etc) and things are getting out of control then consider adding a course and dropping something. Maybe add an easy course in and swap it out for your elective or cell bio...btw by cell bio is this like Bio II or the upper level class because the upper level class is quite a work load and I anticipate Invertebrate Zoology to be pretty busy too. Just watch the add dates. They're different from the drop dates! Won't do you any good if you can drop a course (-3 credits) I would presume only to not be able to add one and drop under full time student status (which in my opinion will raise a red flag). So far now to be safe stay enrolled in all of them but go around asking upper classmen what they thought. Hope this helps!

Oh I guess I can think one reason to avoid the MCAT 2015. Maybe if you're focusing on classic orgo, bio, physics, and chem and don't really have an interest in psych or soc I could see how some would want to avoid it. For me, I'd actually wait until the New MCAT just so I could get the newest possible test. I'd probably start studying when the materials came out.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I'd be doing anything possible to avoid the new MCAT. Heck I'd probably take 20 credits/semester of core science classes if I had to :p

The new test is significantly longer and there won't be much practice material. No thanks!

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

IMO, very doable, especially if that's all you're taking. I took those (Ochem 2 + Lab instead of Ochem 1) plus Phys w/ Lab and worked 40-50 hrs/wk and did fine. Admittedly, I didn't have much free time that semester but it was definitely doable.

IMO, very doable, especially if that's all you're taking. I took those (Ochem 2 + Lab instead of Ochem 1) plus Phys w/ Lab and worked 40-50 hrs/wk and did fine. Admittedly, I didn't have much free time that semester but it was definitely doable.

Man, you're quite a beast though! I've seen your previous posts and things you've done. Not saying Chaii isn't but assuming he's the average pre-med I don't think it would the best to call it "very doable".

Hello again Agent B,

1. This is true. I think it's like 7 hours now which is quite a bit of time but remember the curve...personally I wouldn't see a 7 hr exam as that big of a deal, there's a lunch break and more minibreaks!

2. There isn't much practice material now because no one should really be studying yet (besides pre-reqs). There are, however, already sample questions on AAMC now so imagine what AAMC will have out by 2014 when these people need to get studying. They introduced the self assessments in 2012. I anticipate maybe a practice test or two for this new MCAT. It would be hard to imagine them not having one. (I've asked this question via Twitter so I will have to see). From that Kaplan, EK, Princeton, and Berkeley will try to emulate questions and teach students the new strategies.

3. This new social science/psychological/sociological/cultural competence section...
{KEEP IN MIND THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION}

It will resemble verbal mostly and have social science concepts mixed in, some to know and some they will introduce that you won't have to know but may know if you took upper level psych.

In First Aid in the Behavioral Science Section they have a whole page dedicated to ethical situations.

Ex.) "A middle-age married woman who had a masectomy says she feels "ugly" when she undresses at night" (Le, Bhushan, Tolles 60).

Then basically you listen to why they feel this way and avoid giving false compliments.

Also, what I hope for is a listening component! Like someone should say something and then we have student interpret whether she's in a hurry and stuff but of course make it little more complicated than that. This would really help with social skills and stuff. Also, the passages should both clinical and non clinical stuff just like the previous MCAT wasn't about medicine at all.

...okay...

[This stuff is not my opinion and via AAMC]

So I actually watched AAMC's video on the new section and did some practice questions. Basically, there are going to be a couple terms sociological/psychological terms we're going to have to be familiar with like self-serving bias, reference group, etc...

Then they're going to present us with passages. Oftentimes these passages will have both graphs/tables (data) + a good amount of text (like the recent AAMC bio section)...basically like bio (but psych/soc/+little bio and verbal combined).
Then they're going to ask us similar questions that we've seen from the old MCAT verbal section/bio section:

Ex. They introduce the term homophilus group (wrong word...already forgot what they said) in the 1st passage (it's basically a group that shares demographical similarities [bmi/income lvl/etc] and research has shown that they are likely to act a same way when put together (which has been established).. Half the ppl in a study are put in this kind of group and half are in a group where things are different. This is what the passage tells you.

Then they ask a question along the lines of:

Which one of the following is like a homophilus group:

a.) reference group
b.) primary group
c.) secondary group
d.) some other choice

The answer's A because reference group is basically the sociological/psychological term for control group and that's what the homophilus group is if you read the passage.

Another question they asked along the lines of:

Which of the following is not an example of "self serving bias" (a concept they explained in the passage)

a.) obese ppl agreeing that there are too many fast food places in the area
b.) non obese ppl agreeing that they work hard
c.) poor/obese people in the inner city agreeing that they'll get shot if they try to go for a jog.
d.) healthy people agreeing there are no fast food places in the area.

Now...I'm not psych/soc major here but it self serving bias kind of speaks for itself and basically in A, B, and C the groups are saying things that will make themselves perceive themselves in a better light. Obese will say that there's this and that factor and fit people will say it's because of their work ethic to make themselves seem hardworking and of good character. So basically, healthy people agreeing that there are no fast food places in the area is the odd one out because it's not making them look any better and may actually imply that their healthy because of factors out of their control which is not making them feel good about themselves so the answer is D.

For this section, it seems like there will be a lot of terms to know. Also, a lot of psych/soc concepts will be introduced in passages (those which you won't be expected to know like the previous MCAT did with sciences sometimes). Then, asking similar questions to the previous MCAT they're going to assess your ability to make connections between things, recognize similarities...etc.

So the overall tl;dr part:

Looks like you're going to have to familiarize yourself with certain psychological/sociological concepts and just get a feel for how research is done and interpreted which should be the same for all other sections. Then, they're pretty much going to ask questions you'd see on the verbal exam or maybe BS part of the exam. Which of the following is not...which of the following terms (that you should know) is like the totally new term we used in a passage..of course these questions are probably way easier than what we'll see in Feb 2015 but I definitely think I could gain a good idea of what will be tested and what I need to do to prepare on my part. I would probably take an intro psych and intro soc. class to learn the basic concepts. I'd also maybe take a more advanced course just to improve my social science reasoning skills and then I'd probably study whatever sample material/practice material AAMC has to offer. Ya, there's no clear path but AAMC is not going to let everyone hang out to dry...and if they do it will show up on the curve.

I think this speaks on Agent Bs behalf.

38184689.jpg

Orgo 1
Orgo 1 lab
Cell bio
Physics 1
Physics 1 lab

Cell bio? If that does not = bio I remove it, also remove the elective. Take orgo n phys.

Hello again Agent B,

The current MCAT is extremely exhausting in itself, and it's only like 4 hours (or at least it was when there was the writing section). Those "minibreaks" are almost nothing, since you have to waste time waiting in line to sign out of the room and sign back in, wait in line in the bathroom, and scarf down a snack while in line for the bathroom. It almost adds more stress than just sitting through the break inside the testing room. A 7 hour MCAT will not be fun.

????

I very highly doubt that they're going to give you clinical vignette-style questions like that. They'll be testing you on the foundational concepts, not on a "what would you do in this situation" thing, because that's not something you learn in undergrad. There's a reason why you found that in First Aid, and there's really no reason to be looking at First Aid at this point.

I think this speaks on Agent Bs behalf.

38184689.jpg

Haha, maybe so. I like to write long posts.
Anyhow, AAMC has just confirmed via Twitter that it will release an official practice exam in Fall of 2014.

So glad I took it in 2012. I kind of like long exams though. I always thought I had the endurance for them which I thought was giving me and edge.

The current MCAT is extremely exhausting in itself, and it's only like 4 hours (or at least it was when there was the writing section). Those "minibreaks" are almost nothing, since you have to waste time waiting in line to sign out of the room and sign back in, wait in line in the bathroom, and scarf down a snack while in line for the bathroom. It almost adds more stress than just sitting through the break inside the testing room. A 7 hour MCAT will not be fun.

????

I very highly doubt that they're going to give you clinical vignette-style questions like that. They'll be testing you on the foundational concepts, not on a "what would you do in this situation" thing, because that's not something you learn in undergrad. There's a reason why you found that in First Aid, and there's really no reason to be looking at First Aid at this point.

I very highly doubt that they're going to give you clinical vignette-style questions like that. They'll be testing you on the foundational concepts, not on a "what would you do in this situation" thing, because that's not something you learn in undergrad. There's a reason why you found that in First Aid, and there's really no reason to be looking at First Aid at this point.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean clinical vignettes like that. I just guessed that maybe you might have to know some common things (probably not with patients). Maybe just about social groups in general or something...like some psych concepts that we'll all have to know...like some definitions, things like that...I anticipate most people will know these as well as they know the # of questions and time allowed on the exam. That was purely guesswork on my part though.

As for First Aid, I found a 2011 copy online for $5.99+$2.99 shipping (Barnes and Noble online store) and couldn't help myself. Doesn't hurt to use it to see what's coming up and I realized a lot of answers to an Immunology final I had just taken were in there condensed to one or two pages...probably would have benefited studying those two pages for an hour than reading my course pack for two hours... I plan on looking at it every once in a while during my senior yr filled with upper level course material. I don't think it will be very helpful for Step 1 to start prepping now but it will be interesting to have to have the book to give me a better idea of what's coming up in medical school and give me an idea of how much I know vs. how much I don't whichl is useful..I'm not trying to gun for Step 1 or anything like that.