Trying to crawl out of this hole

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenHorizon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman, well technically anyway. I got a B in biology at the freshman level, and I want to know how this is going to look. I am preparing to take microeconomics, chem with qual. analysis, government, and psych. the reason i won't be taking math or bio 2 is because i am at a community college (valencia) and i believe it would better suit me to take those when i transfer to university. i was at a university in another state before, just a state college, but i had a mental breakdown and had to medically withdraw. i ended up having WF all over my transcript.

i am trying to build myself up after that. i have succeeded in targeting my weak areas and triggers and now just want to know if i am wasting my time still trying to pursue this. as it stands i prefer going MD but will go DO if i am accepted. i have a while before that though.

My gpa average when combined from both schools is 3.2. I want my over all average to be above a 3.5 so i know that i will have to get a 4.0 twice (for two years)

I am looking towards any advice you guys can give, including extracurricular, studying, anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a freshman, well technically anyway. I got a B in biology at the freshman level, and I want to know how this is going to look. I am preparing to take microeconomics, chem with qual. analysis, government, and psych. the reason i won't be taking math or bio 2 is because i am at a community college (valencia) and i believe it would better suit me to take those when i transfer to university. i was at a university in another state before, just a state college, but i had a mental breakdown and had to medically withdraw. i ended up having WF all over my transcript.

i am trying to build myself up after that. i have succeeded in targeting my weak areas and triggers and now just want to know if i am wasting my time still trying to pursue this. as it stands i prefer going MD but will go DO if i am accepted. i have a while before that though.

My gpa average when combined from both schools is 3.2. I want my over all average to be above a 3.5 so i know that i will have to get a 4.0 twice (for two years)

I am looking towards any advice you guys can give, including extracurricular, studying, anything.

Taking Biology at a community college is a little bit ridiculous for someone that wants to apply to medical school. You really shouldn't have done that. The fact you got a B in it makes it worse. But you're a Freshmen, plenty of time to fix yourself up. You're not in a hole. Get off the forum, and go out and work for your grades man. Take you gen-eds at community colleges, but wait till you go to a more prestigious institution to take any sciences. Who advised you to do this? I'd recommend retaking your first Bio at the university you plan on going to. Unless you feel well enough to take the second Bio in line. And Why are you taking Chem at your community college? Buddy, trust me. These are things that you want to take elsewhere. Leave you sciences for the better school you'll end up going to.

It's better to start the pre-med path with classes more inductive of the difficult you'll need to be accustomed to than have easy classes and cheat yourself out of the skill necessary to be accepted in medical school.

Taking Biology at a community college is a little bit ridiculous for someone that wants to apply to medical school. You really shouldn't have done that. The fact you got a B in it makes it worse. But you're a Freshmen, plenty of time to fix yourself up. You're not in a hole. Get off the forum, and go out and work for your grades man. Take you gen-eds at community colleges, but wait till you go to a more prestigious institution to take any sciences. Who advised you to do this? I'd recommend retaking your first Bio at the university you plan on going to. Unless you feel well enough to take the second Bio in line. And Why are you taking Chem at your community college? Buddy, trust me. These are things that you want to take elsewhere. Leave you sciences for the better school you'll end up going to.

It's better to start the pre-med path with classes more inductive of the difficult you'll need to be accustomed to than have easy classes and cheat yourself out of the skill necessary to be accepted in medical school.

i already have taken bio 2x. I will not take that one again at university. and the chem i am taking will only be 1st level, the credits will transfer directly because it is called a "direct connect" program. this university is connected with this comm college. also that chem class will be the only science i take here. i plan on taking bio2, chem2 and all math at the university.

so do you think i should do all my soc sciences and humanities, here, then load up in math and science at university?

and i am trying to find some EC and research around but i do not have a vehicle so its hard. plus i am not going to just hop on the bus and ride into the city with no clue where i am going.

Members don't see this ad :)
i already have taken bio 2x. I will not take that one again at university. and the chem i am taking will only be 1st level, the credits will transfer directly because it is called a "direct connect" program. this university is connected with this comm college. also that chem class will be the only science i take here. i plan on taking bio2, chem2 and all math at the university.

so do you think i should do all my soc sciences and humanities, here, then load up in math and science at university?

and i am trying to find some EC and research around but i do not have a vehicle so its hard. plus i am not going to just hop on the bus and ride into the city with no clue where i am going.

I think you should do dual enrollment and take any and ALL science classes at your university, and only gen eds at a community college. Math doesn't matter as much as Chemistry- it makes no sense to me why you want to take chemistry at a community college instead of your Calculus or Trig class.
It doesn't matter if the credits will transfer to your University- direct connect or not, it's all the same. Take my advise, and don't take any more sciences until you attend the University.

It's almost impossible to recommend you to do research right now. You have very little scientific background- Who would accept you?.. and if you got in, who's to say how you'll do? You need to be sure you can handle University classes. Community college classes are typically 25% as hard as the "real" classes at a private or state school you should be taking. You need to make sure you can handle yourself in that sort of environment.

Why did you take the first Bio twice? And was the second attempt your "B"? If so, you should absolutely prioritize your study time, or re-evaluate yourself. Why did you get a B?

I think you should do dual enrollment and take any and ALL science classes at your university, and only gen eds at a community college. Math doesn't matter as much as Chemistry- it makes no sense to me why you want to take chemistry at a community college instead of your Calculus or Trig class.
It doesn't matter if the credits will transfer to your University- direct connect or not, it's all the same. Take my advise, and don't take any more sciences until you attend the University.

so should i drop my chem class (i am enrolled to start feb) and fill it with another math? i have no maths on my schedule. they all require some prerequisite so how could i take them while still gaining credits in humanities, social science. the transfer program requires math and science btw, so i am on a limb here.

It's almost impossible to recommend you to do research right now. You have very little scientific background- Who would accept you?.. and if you got in, who's to say how you'll do? You need to be sure you can handle University classes. Community college classes are typically 25% as hard as the "real" classes at a private or state school you should be taking. You need to make sure you can handle yourself in that sort of environment.

this i agree with. it wouldn't make much sense for me to apply for a program without any lab grades to put on an application. i know that cc are "easier" and that is why i do not want to take math and science here. but i know that it will be necessary if i am to transfer with enough credits.

Why did you take the first Bio twice? And was the second attempt your "B"? If so, you should absolutely prioritize your study time, or re-evaluate yourself. Why did you get a B?

i did not know how to study effectively, i was suffering from a mental breakdown, and i was mentally exhausted and got a C my first try, before I withdrew and got a "WF".

the second time i got a B it was borderline. but i did not to some of my hw assignments and broke a few lab rules.

i wish i could retake bio for free but i do not want to keep wasting time and money i do not have. i will let the B stand as it is and just do extremely well in all of my sciences from this point on out.

I know plenty of people who took prerequisites at a CC and were able to get into medical school. The key is to make sure you take plenty of upper division biology classes at your 4-yr university and to do well in them. I recommend taking biochemistry, genetics, and molecular and cell biology. Also, try to take organic chemistry at your 4-yr to show you can handle chemistry at the university level. It's fine to take general chemistry at a CC.

As for research, you can definitely get involved now. For goodness sake, I was able to do REAL research and a REAL lab at the local medical school in HIGH SCHOOL. If any of your science professors have a Phd from the local university, asking them would be a good place to start. You can also email random PIs and express your goals and interest in doing volunteer research with them. If you look hard enough, you can find research opportunities.

As for your chances in getting into medical school, you definitely have a shot if you do well the rest of your academic career. If you can get your cGPA/sGPA to around a 3.5 or better and get a 30+ MCAT, I think you will have a shot and some lower/mid tier MD schools and will have a very good shot at DO schools. Make sure you start getting clinical and volunteer experience.

I know plenty of people who took prerequisites at a CC and were able to get into medical school. The key is to make sure you take plenty of upper division biology classes at your 4-yr university and to do well in them. I recommend taking biochemistry, genetics, and molecular and cell biology. Also, try to take organic chemistry at your 4-yr to show you can handle chemistry at the university level. It's fine to take general chemistry at a CC.

As for research, you can definitely get involved now. For goodness sake, I was able to do REAL research and a REAL lab at the local medical school in HIGH SCHOOL. If any of your science professors have a Phd from the local university, asking them would be a good place to start. You can also email random PIs and express your goals and interest in doing volunteer research with them. If you look hard enough, you can find research opportunities.

As for your chances in getting into medical school, you definitely have a shot if you do well the rest of your academic career. If you can get your cGPA/sGPA to around a 3.5 or better and get a 30+ MCAT, I think you will have a shot and some lower/mid tier MD schools and will have a very good shot at DO schools. Make sure you start getting clinical and volunteer experience.

I'm giving advice based on my experiences, and the outward appearance of the person asking. Considering the asker got a "WF" from bio and a borderline "B" in the retake of the class in a community college, I think getting in the habit of being an effective student is more important than pursuing hypothetical research projects.

Likewise, if you borderline pass your science prereqs in a community college, you won't do well in the courses that require that knowledge at a university. If you get all A's in them, and you're prepared to play catch up when taking Micro Bio, Cell Bio or the subsequent chem classes, then it's possible, but no one should ever advise someone to do this. The people who do well with community college backgrounds in their core sciences are the exception, not the rule.

This person has a chance at the top 10 MD schools. They're still starting out. It's what they do from here that limits their choices, or maintains them.

so should i drop my chem class (i am enrolled to start feb) and fill it with another math? i have no maths on my schedule. they all require some prerequisite so how could i take them while still gaining credits in humanities, social science. the transfer program requires math and science btw, so i am on a limb here.

this i agree with. it wouldn't make much sense for me to apply for a program without any lab grades to put on an application. i know that cc are "easier" and that is why i do not want to take math and science here. but i know that it will be necessary if i am to transfer with enough credits.

i did not know how to study effectively, i was suffering from a mental breakdown, and i was mentally exhausted and got a C my first try, before I withdrew and got a "WF".

the second time i got a B it was borderline. but i did not to some of my hw assignments and broke a few lab rules.

i wish i could retake bio for free but i do not want to keep wasting time and money i do not have. i will let the B stand as it is and just do extremely well in all of my sciences from this point on out.

If you plan on going into Medical school (which you do) then don't worry about the money it costs to take courses. Don't try to save a buck. It won't make a difference in the end.

If I were in your position, I wouldn't take Gen Chem 1 in a community college, and then go attempt to take Gen Chem 2 in a University. I think doing your math at a CC shouldn't be a problem- from personal experience with friends.

Having said that, you've got to choose.

Also, it's not the lab-knowledge. It's just that you shouldn't commit yourself to a research position until you finalize and stabilize your standing as a good student. Worry about EC's later, but soon.

thank you for the advice. since i have majored in biology i intend on indeed taking many upper division bio classes anyway, and i agree with this idea. also, i don't think any of the phds would take me right now, since i heard from another student that grades factor in. i could do a sob story but i dont want to have to take that route. hopefully after i prove myself this semester by summer i will be more secure as far as grades go. i wanted to go to an md school in my state anyway, i just want to practice medicine and have a fulfilling experience in any medical school that will take me. i do not aspire to a top 10 school in so much as i aspire to stand out and be a great applicant.

I'm giving advice based on my experiences, and the outward appearance of the person asking. Considering the asker got a "WF" from bio and a borderline "B" in the retake of the class in a community college, I think getting in the habit of being an effective student is more important than pursuing hypothetical research projects.

Likewise, if you borderline pass your science prereqs in a community college, you won't do well in the courses that require that knowledge at a university. If you get all A's in them, and you're prepared to play catch up when taking Micro Bio, Cell Bio or the subsequent chem classes, then it's possible, but no one should ever advise someone to do this. The people who do well with community college backgrounds in their core sciences are the exception, not the rule.

This person has a chance at the top 10 MD schools. They're still starting out. It's what they do from here that limits their choices, or maintains them.

By borderline i meant i was a few points from an A in the retake. and yes i agree, i am very well aware of how that looks so i am trying to identify weak points in my habits. frankly speaking i let my high school excellence go to my head and got lazy. i didnt even try my best in the retake, tbh. So knowing this i have made the decision to change my habits. i got into the practice of doing practice bio exams even while not in school (right now).

i can handle university level work.

i will probably not be taking anymore sciences at cc though, because i would rather challenge myself. if i cannot handle it at university then medicine is not for me.

thank you for the advice. since i have majored in biology i intend on indeed taking many upper division bio classes anyway, and i agree with this idea. also, i don't think any of the phds would take me right now, since i heard from another student that grades factor in. i could do a sob story but i dont want to have to take that route. hopefully after i prove myself this semester by summer i will be more secure as far as grades go. i wanted to go to an md school in my state anyway, i just want to practice medicine and have a fulfilling experience in any medical school that will take me. i do not aspire to a top 10 school in so much as i aspire to stand out and be a great applicant.

By borderline i meant i was a few points from an A in the retake. and yes i agree, i am very well aware of how that looks so i am trying to identify weak points in my habits. frankly speaking i let my high school excellence go to my head and got lazy. i didnt even try my best in the retake, tbh. So knowing this i have made the decision to change my habits. i got into the practice of doing practice bio exams even while not in school (right now).

i can handle university level work.

i will probably not be taking anymore sciences at cc though, because i would rather challenge myself. if i cannot handle it at university then medicine is not for me.

Good job, you're on the right track. Just be discipline, and if you want to do medicine for the right reasons, you will become a fine physician someday.