Trying to figure how competitive I am for higher-end IM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really need some help, because I can't seem to get a realistic grip about how high I should aim in terms of IM residencies.

My goal is IM and then a Cardiology fellowship if possible.

My Step 1 score is 244
Have an MPH
First quartile of my graduating class grade-wise (don't know my actual rank)
Not a lot of research experience, but have been published

I know that's pretty good for average IM programs, but is it entirely unreasonable for me to apply to the likes of Mass Gen and whatnot? I'd imagine the top programs are filled with people with 260+ Step 1 scores, but I'd like to know if I should even bother.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a top 30 IM program is very possible, but a top 10 program would not be a lock.

I think I'm probably a pretty similar candidate to you. My step 1 was a shade lower than yours. Not sure what my class rank is, but I had mostly honors with a few HPs sprinkled in during clinic years. I have a graduate degree and some research.

I was geographically limited, but interviewed at one top 10 and was turned down by 2-3 others. I interviewed at 5-6 top 30 programs and matched at a program that's on the lower end of the top 30. Obviously the whole "top X" is nebulous, subjective, and prone to dispute; however, with your stats I'm sure you'll be able to match into a well-thought-of IM program and get a cards fellowship.

Its always worth a shot. My wife has lower stats than you and matched to a program that would be generally considered top 10. Interviewing well and great LORs count more than you might think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really need some help, because I can't seem to get a realistic grip about how high I should aim in terms of IM residencies.

My Step 1 score is 244
Have an MPH

I know that's pretty good for average IM programs, but is it entirely unreasonable for me to apply to the likes of Mass Gen and whatnot? I'd imagine the top programs are filled with people with 260+ Step 1 scores, but I'd like to know if I should even bother.

I think you will match at one of the "top" programs that will no way limit your fellowship opportunities. As far as if it's going to be one of the so called "top ten" is hard to say because there is no one formula that can guarantee matching into one of those programs. I have heard of people with 260+ on step 1 not even getting interviews from some of those programs.

My Step 1 score is 244
Have an MPH

Again, it depends on what medical school you come from.

I came from an unranked state school. My Step 1 was a touch higher than yours. Got a mix of H/HP in my clinical year. Didn't have MPH, but had 2-3 pubs.

Didn't get interviews from any of the "Big 4". Got 2 interviews in the "Top 10", ultimately matched into a program on the lower end of the "Top 10"

I had a lower Step 1 score than yours, just OK research (certainly not great), no MPH/PhD/etc, no AOA, but some interesting life/work experiences before med school which helped. I matched at a top 10. My clinical advising dean was told that I had been ranked to match by another top 10 as well (but who knows, programs lie about these things).

With the new match algorithm, ranking top programs does not hurt your chances of matching at a lower program. I would advise that you interview and rank PLENTY of backup and in-range programs, but you can also apply to as many reaches as you like. A lot of it ultimately comes down to luck anyway...

Another thing to keep in mind is that location plays a huge role in the competitiveness of programs. You would probably have a much better shot at Top 10 programs in "less desirable" locations (i.e. Michigan and Wash U) versus other non-Top 10 programs that are notoriously competitive due to location, such as Stanford, UCLA, Northwestern, and Mt. Sinai. But you never know, and at the end of the day it's like an extra $20-30 per program so you might as well try.