Trying to find residency 10 year after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1999MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have scores in the higher 90's in USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 and am ECFMG certified. However being an IMG from 1999 I am running into the 5 year since graduation cutoff issues. Any advice on how to find a residency program that is flexible on year of graduation will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I took my Step 1-2001, Step 2-2002, step 3-2003.

My first choice is IM but I have heard that FM and Psychiatry are less competitive specially being and IMG.

on that note, if say i pass my usmle step 1-2ck/cs in 2010, and get ECFMG, and unfortunately dont get a residency spot, i might still want to come to USA after my specialty training in singapore/australia after 5-8 yrs.

in that case, will the ECFMG be still valid for subspecialty fellowship positions?

I have not done much since 2003.Focussing on my family and kids. Now I am looking to get in to IM, FM or Psychaitry residency programs in the order of preference. Will be starting few observerships shortly.

Why would you want to do this? It is like going into a graveyard and digging up old bones. You shouldn't disturb the dead. I'd rather go to the botanical gardens.

I have not done much since 2003.Focussing on my family and kids. Now I am looking to get in to IM, FM or Psychaitry residency programs in the order of preference. Will be starting few observerships shortly.

I would definitely do the observerships...work hard on them and try to make them as meaningful as possible.

As uncompetitive as FM is, many FM programs will say that they do not accept anyone who graduated >5 years ago.

I know someone like yourself you got into IM in rural texas. You need to dig further.