Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Trying to forecast

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by hockey.player, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. hockey.player

hockey.player

Pre-Medical
    Hey all:

I'm a new member to this website, but I often come here in search for answers regarding pre medical/dental questions I ponder upon. Let me start:

I'm Canadian, and currently finishing my last term (graduating in dec) at the British Columbia Institute of Technology. Upon completion of a bachelors in technology (technology management option), and maintaining my 84% average gpa, I have wishes to attend a medical school. Since Canadian medical schools are extremely difficult to gain admission, I've been researching U.S. medical schools. To start, I have some immediate questions:

1. Do U.S. medical schools look at bachelors degrees from institutes of technology the same as a bachelors degrees from a university/college ?

As some of you may not know, British Columbia Institute of Technology is located in British Columbia, Canada, and is a highly accredited institution among B.C. and the rest of Canada.

2. What does a 84% gpa convert to upon a U.S. medical school scale system

My transcript solely lists a number (84%) rather a 3.whatever (example 3.5)

In the past, before starting my degree at BCIT, I volunteered for a foundation that was building a house in a village in India ( I spent 4 weeks at the project site). Upon degree completion, I will be volunteering at a different foundation, abroad, probably south america.

In a forecast to assume that I complete the pre-medical classes at an average of 80% and score a 30 on the MCAT, what are my chances? During my undergraduate years, I completed some of the required pre-medical classes but will be finishing ochem and biochem upon degree completion.

(I will be doing some observer-ship with a doctor, I hope)

I'm not sure if I forgot something, I probably did, but, what does everyone think? Is medical school a realistic goal for me?

Best,

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    1. We don't differentiate. Most of your screeners will never have heard of your school, sadly.
    2. We don't see international transcripts.
    There are 74 MD schools that purport to consider international applicants. Most of them take 0-1. The ones that take a few more are very high stat institutions. Most of them request one or two years of college level education in the US.
    You are a much better candidate for the 10 DO schools that consider international applicants. DO schools do accept international transcripts, but I have no idea how they translate your grades.

4. UBC2014

UBC2014 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just to clarify, an 84% average in Canada could likely equate to a 3.8+ GPA, depending on the breakdown and conversion. I wouldn't call of MD schools just quite yet :)

Op, get your grade scale from your transcript to see what %s are equal to what letter grade.

For every A/A+ = 4.0
    A-= 3.7
    B+ = 3.3

And so so on. This is for DO schools specifically, and can be found on aacomas application guidelines. The overalls value you get will be roughly close to your AMCAS(MD) GPA.

As for BcIt being "highly accredited" and so on, it is just another technical school and nothing special. No one in the US will ever have heard about it. Even my alma mater, UBC, as world renowned as it is, is unknown in many parts of the US.

As an FYI, medical schools want to see a person is committed to serving others through volunteer work. If the only volunteer or involvements you have is the one time 4 week stint, then you will not get any interviews in the US. If I am mistaken please include your ECs and volunteer work. They are just as important as your GPA and mcat, and will help others give you better advice.

gyngyn likes this.
  5. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    We do not see international grades through AMCAS, only grades from transcripts of US schools. This could be a benefit if OP takes classes here and only gets A's!

6. UBC2014

UBC2014 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you clarify what you mean?

I have friends who completed degrees in Canada and have matriculated into US MD schools. They must have had a calculated GPA on their AMCAS to be admitted :S

7. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Nope. All those years are blank . The only grades that are visible are from courses taken in the US.
    Applicants may be considered without grades, It doesn't happen very often, though.

8. UBC2014

UBC2014 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm sorry, but then how on earth would so many Canadians be receiving USMD interviews and acceptances without any grades listed on their AMCAS?

I think maybe you mean to say other international students, but as far as I know, Canadians are probably treated slightly differently and more favorably since they have a comparable North American degree. AMCAS also has specific scales used to convert Canadian grades. They wouldn't have those scales if they primary application was just to be left blank of all their grades.

Sorry to be persistent, but its a pet peeve with false information being posted on these forums. It's perfectly fine if you're just confused with lumping Canadians with other international students. Just want to make sure that if someone comes across this post later, they aren't mislead.

gyngyn likes this.
  9. gyngyn

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    You are right. I just looked up a Canadian applicant. His grades from Toronto were visible.
    International applicants from non-AMCAS countries do not have visible grades.

10. hockey.player

hockey.player

Pre-Medical
    Hey all:

What a wealth of information. Thanks for collaborating on my thread.

I have indeed looked into DO schools. In particular, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, they actually have a Canadian initiative for Canadian citizens.

In regards to UBC2014, starting Jan 2015, I will be a weekly volunteer at a local foundation. To clarify: A- = 3.7 = 80% ?

Thanks

About the ads