Trying to get back on track, am i kidding myself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hankeri

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading this site for a couple months now and I was hoping to hear some honest opinion about my chances to pursue pre-med/medical school.

A little history about me:
I went to a state university around 2012, but I was kicked out after 1 year because I did not attend classes. It was stupid of me and I was going through a long period of depression (my 2 best friends and roommates passed away in a car accident 2 months in college).
After that, I had to enroll in a private college for an associate degree, I finished and transferred to a 4 year college (where I'm currently studying).
I am in my 2nd year now, cGPA 3.86 and sGPA 3.72. I only have a 3 months experience working at a pulmonologist clinic (around 90 hrs only). I've started prepping for the MCAT next year with information and tips that I found on this forum and from my advisors + professors at school. Also, I'm trying to find more ECs and hopefully get some shadowing done before next spring.

I want to know if I'm kidding myself to even try to pursue medical based on my academic background. Honest answers, recommendations, or criticizes are greatly appreciated. If I have no chance to get into a medical school, I'd love to hear other suggestions (related to medical field).
[Also, yes, I find medical field very interesting, especially neurology]

Members don't see this ad.

You are more than fine. You had a tragic experience that I think anyone would have difficulty getting over (if not ever). Keep chugging alone and score good on the MCAT. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
You are more than fine. You had a tragic experience that I think anyone would have difficulty getting over (if not ever). Keep chugging alone and score good on the MCAT. Best of luck.

thank you, your answer really lifted my spirit.
another question, will the associate degree (medical assistant degree) and medical assistant certification provide any chance? or should I neglect the whole thing?